IT.COM

discuss .コム (VERISIGNs japanese .com) SHOWCASE / DISCUSSION THREAD on NAMEPROS

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

THTMVATMEDNOATTop Member
Impact
Dear nP members,

as you may know, the new extension .コム, which is the 'japanese pendant' of .com and which is powered by VERISIGN (.com / .net / .tv / .cc / .name / and now .コム) will turn into GA on JUN., 13., 2016

• What do you think about the .コム TLD?
  • Have you registered allready a .コム domain?

I think .コム will be a 'blast' in japanese market and because of this and other reason/s I allready registered (PAPP) the following one:

コムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコムコム.コム

That's 27 times 'コム' / TLD '
.コム'
27 times ‘コム’ is the maximum possible ammount of ‘コム’ in a
.コム domain name
IDN: xn--tckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa84jbabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.xn--tckwe

Not a 63.DOMAIN but a perfect 54 (IDN 63) character PREMIUM domain

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So you think .コム will have inherited prestige and popularity from .com and the after market will develop quickly or it will be like any other gTLD trying to build itself from scratch?

•••
Japan doesn't have an active IDN aftermarket.The japanese IDN extensions that were released in the past years are dead I believe. IMO this is a long term bet at best. At worst it's one of many future ghost extensions that no one will care about. Wouldn't expect quick development of a market for this one. Time will tell.

Last edited:
•••
So you think .コム will have inherited prestige and popularity from .com and the after market will develop quickly or it will be like any other gTLD trying to build itself from scratch?
Mixed, I think.
People will 'trust' .コム faster than some other new TLDs - simply because it's powered by Verisign.
But at the end it's created for japanese economy (because they have a good economy).
I choosed this TLD primarely to create the longest possible コムコムコム... .コム which is now part of my 63.DOMAINS collection.
Currently I don't know if I will register any other .コム domain.

•••
Mixed, I think.
People will 'trust' .コム faster than some other new TLDs - simply because it's powered by Verisign.
But at the end it's created for japanese economy (because they have a good economy).
I choosed this TLD primarely to create the longest possible コムコムコム... .コム which is now part of my 63.DOMAINS collection.
Currently I don't know if I will register any other .コム domain.

It's hard to say if the ".コム" will take off, but I see some quick obvious pros and cons.

cons
company sites and users in Japan primarily use the ccTLD .co.jp(yahoo.co.jp, amazon.co.jp, google.co.jp). That means the transition or rush to a .コム domain may take much longer when their customer base is not used to using a .com or even a .com.jp if that was a thing(it's not).

pros
1) Typng "com" into Japanese language processors is not even possible. It would look like "こm" or "コu" it would physically need to be completed by typing "komu" which こむ higrana or コム Japanese katakana(the reasoning behind the .co.jp/.ne.jp instead of .com.jp/.net.jp for ccTLD purposes). The reason katakana is used is due to the fact that japanese even has it's own writing system for foreign word ie グーグル (guguru) for "google"

I own コ.コム (ko. komu better know as co. com) for both the pros and cons listed above.

•••
It's hard to say if the ".コム" will take off, but I see some quick obvious pros and cons.

cons
company sites and users in Japan primarily use the ccTLD .co.jp(yahoo.co.jp, amazon.co.jp, google.co.jp). That means the transition or rush to a .コム domain may take much longer when their customer base is not used to using a .com or even a .com.jp if that was a thing(it's not).

pros
1) Typng "com" into Japanese language processors is not even possible. It would look like "こm" or "コu" it would physically need to be completed by typing "komu" which こむ higrana or コム Japanese katakana(the reasoning behind the .co.jp/.ne.jp instead of .com.jp/.net.jp for ccTLD purposes). The reason katakana is used is due to the fact that japanese even has it's own writing system for foreign word ie グーグル (guguru) for "google"

I own コ.コム (ko. komu better know as co. com) for both the pros and cons listed above.
Great and helpful feedback, thx & congrats for your コ.コム

•••
I've never seen a single .コム or .みんな (or any other IDNs) site advertised here or in use and I rarely even see URLs advertised at all. I don't see this taking off. In conversation, .com and .コム are the same, so it's another step in trying to explain that it's in katakana and not in romaji.

•••
I've never seen a single .コム or .みんな (or any other IDNs) site advertised here or in use and I rarely even see URLs advertised at all. I don't see this taking off. In conversation, .com and .コム are the same, so it's another step in trying to explain that it's in katakana and not in romaji.

Lets see how they will develop in the next years.

•••
It could have been great, but likely won't amount to much anymore. I've followed and invested heavily in IDN.com over the years and know the market well.

•••
It could have been great, but likely won't amount to much anymore. I've followed and invested heavily in IDN.com over the years and know the market well.

I see - but IDN.notIDN isn't the same as IDN.IDN

If both sides of the domain has the same language (both in IDN) then the domain has more aestehtic then if both sides are 'mixed'.

•••
Choose to agree or disagree, the whole premise of IDN.com was that one day we would have IDN.idn. We've had other IDN tlds launch already with little uptake. The demand isn't there from end users or native consumers. I've spent lots of money on these things, talked to native investors etc.. your thinking is about 10 years behind. For a myriad of reasons it has great potential for growth, sounds good in theory, but when it comes down to it, I just don't see it happening. I've bought and sold some of the most expensive IDNs out there, its a small community and I'm very familiar with it. Choose to disagree, but you need more facts and experience to back up your theories. I hope IDNs as a concept do take off, but it should have happened long ago and now there are just more and more obstacles with no greater demand than before. Add in that now you will now have two separate owners for basically identical sounding TLDs.. .コム and .com sound exactly the same on the radio.. so much confusion.

•••
IDN is growing now...I hope the dedicate a section for it in this forum...each language with its own thread..

Beg to differ.

IDN is stumbling along in the darkness and many of the original knowledgeable investors are losing faith.

•••
What about the legal aspect?

If the market it up, there will be alot of court action I guess because as Nameyourself said "now have two separate owners for basically identical sounding TLDs"

•••
and therein lies the biggest problem as I see it, even more so than premium pricing. It's having two TLDs that sound identical and were created on purpose to be similar with each other but many of which will now have completely different owners and sites. This could only have been done right one way, and that is by ensuring 100% matching. ICANN made that impossible.

•••
and therein lies the biggest problem as I see it, even more so than premium pricing. It's having two TLDs that sound identical and were created on purpose to be similar with each other but many of which will now have completely different owners and sites. This could only have been done right one way, and that is by ensuring 100% matching. ICANN made that impossible.

And money is the probable reason for this fiasco.

•••
Ontop of .コム and .com sounding the same, Japanese have 4 different writing systems so even though idn.idn sounds compelling, trying to convey a url verbally would be a nightmare.

rakuten.com
らくてん.com
ラクテン.com
楽天.com
rakuten.コム
らくてん.コム
ラクテン.コム
楽天.コム

These all sound exactly the same, plus many words are a combination of writing systems so not only is it confusing to convey but you'd have to buy many domains just to cover yourself from imitators.

•••
Ontop of .コム and .com sounding the same, Japanese have 4 different writing systems so even though idn.idn sounds compelling, trying to convey a url verbally would be a nightmare.

rakuten.com
らくてん.com
ラクテン.com
楽天.com
rakuten.コム
らくてん.コム
ラクテン.コム
楽天.コム

These all sound exactly the same, plus many words are a combination of writing systems so not only is it confusing to convey but you'd have to buy many domains just to cover yourself from imitators.

Very helpful post hikari, are you native to japan?

•••
I'm not but I've been living in jp a few years.

To expand on this a little, ラクテン.コム is where both IDNs have the same writing system (katakana) but since katakana is for foreign/loan words (i.e. com) and Rakuten is a Japanese word, this url would be anyone's last guess in that list. I think they really should have matched up hiragana and katakana so they would be interchangeable.

•••
ラクテン.com
Consumers may also type it as ラクテン.com (I have not checked how this issue is resolved.)

This is the complexity resulted from being able to write Katakana in 全角 (double bytes) and 半角 (single byte).

•••
I believe single byte and double byte both convert to the same punycode, so not sure that would be an issue. Unless there are other technical issues with how different browsers attempt to resolve double vs. single.

•••
Thx all for your posts - the aspect that .コム sounds identical as .com is a real punchline.

•••
Thx all for your posts - the aspect that .コム sounds identical as .com is a real punchline.

Only the difference is in the Dot, I do not know how Dot in pronounced in Japanese.. but guess it will be pronounced differently...say "Dot" or "Dot in Japanese"...but still confusing...

•••
Only the difference is in the Dot, I do not know how Dot in pronounced in Japanese.. but guess it will be pronounced differently...say "Dot" or "Dot in Japanese"...but still confusing...

This thought is a good consideration - if 'dot' in japanese doesn't sound like 'dot' in english, then this would be the 'key' to know which .コム / .com is meant rather (of course if the domain is only to hear and not seen).

•••
Edit: nm, I don't think this is a good example, I think he's just reading the english.

Last edited:
•••
I live in Japan and most Japanese friends I've spoken to said they don't care about this extension. Just thought I'd share that unscientific survey. :) I think I'm one of the only NP members in Japan. ;)

•••
I live in Japan and most Japanese friends I've spoken to said they don't care about this extension. Just thought I'd share that unscientific survey. :) I think I'm one of the only NP members in Japan. ;)

but there are those who google terms in Japanese....read google results in Japanese...read the website in Japanese then comment in Japanes??

So what the English domain is doing?It is the only non-IDN thing...

What about hash tags in twitter, more in Japanese or English?

In Arabic I see that suddenly Twitter hash tags usage turned from English to Arabic...who not domains follow?

Its speculation anyway...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back