NameSilo

question "Karen" is now a derogatory term for entitled white women. Since when?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
I'm usually the hip and current one in the room among my friends. Every new term I catch most times.

But I'm embarrassed to say I missed the repurposing of the name "Karen" into a derogatory term for privileged entitled white women. Lol

Since when?

Just Google "Karen meaning" for explanation.

Interestingly.
karen is a member of an indigenous people of eastern Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand. The language of the Karen, probably Sino-Tibetan.

Also there are 46,105 domains with the keyword Karen.

Anyone ever heard of this repurposing of the name Karen.

Curious to know who started this.

Similar to OkBoomer.com coined by some kid.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
There are whole YouTube channels devoted to this term.

I'm always left scratching my head because I find that the person pulling out their phone to record someone in a weak moment is just as offensive. Maybe more so.
i was thinking the same thing, how hateful does someone have to be to run around with a phone just to record humans dealing with being humans. hmmmmm :)

•••
I like that Christian Cooper has chosen not to help the investigation into Amy Cooper.

I don't think he realized how bad the world would look upon Amy Cooper. or did he?
I think even he think this has been blown all out of proportion because of the media and he just wants to be out of it at this point. (maybe...)

We now live in a society where you can be videoed for all your mistakes. Be careful. What you say or do. Freedom is an illusion.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/us/christian-cooper-central-park/index.html

•••
I like that Christian Cooper has chosen not to help the investigation into Amy Cooper.

I don't think he realized how bad the world would look upon Amy Cooper. or did he?
I think even he think this has been blown all out of proportion because of the media and he just wants to be out of it at this point. (maybe...)

We now live in a society where you can be videoed for all your mistakes. Be careful. What you say or do. Freedom is an illusion.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/us/christian-cooper-central-park/index.html
i agree, there aint nothing on earth that doesnt have a clause of why we are enjoying it or disliking it. :)

•••
i agree, there aint nothing on earth that doesnt have a clause of why we are enjoying it or disliking it. :)
Nice. And yep, there has been a turning point, at some point, Point Break, Breaking Bad, pointedly; where disliking/enjoying it/whatever/whomever equates a mandate for change, rather than just letting it roll and sucking it up.

I think the point arrived, where an apple became a computer, and we lost the ability to turn rot into jam or pies.

•••
Oh no I know this but they never had an official name till now or has "Karen" the term been around for ages too?

Yes, the term "Karen" has been around a while too

Dont worry about Karen, it wont last, the same as any of these internet fads

Last edited:
•••
Exactly! That's why I'm saying everyone should be recorded all the time. False accusations would cease to exist.
I guess there is no stopping the Orwellian nightmare now. It's funny how the things we never thought would happen in our lifetime 40 years ago, are happening as we speak.

•••
Now that you are talking about these things, your country must be a very fun place. We're always talking about religion and politics just to keep it fresh hostilities between us in Turkey. When we stop talking about these two issues, we turn to the hijab issue. The hijab issue has been so much debated that the "turbanlı fantezisi" eventually emerged. It's dreaming of a girl in hijab to have sex.

•••
Posting that vid online probably saved his life, giving the interactions of rogue police with black men as seen online recently! The video online means they couldn't arrest (and possible George Floyd) him on her account of anything to do with her.

Anybody who puts the life of others at risk through deliberate lies deserves everything that comes as a direct result of what they did.
Right, so you're saying that anyone who is wronged by anyone in anyway should have a video recording of it and should post it online for all to see and judge.

Basically, we should all walk around with our cell phones on record, waiting for someone to screw up. Fun world!

Last edited:
•••
Some people have way too much freetime on their hands

Last edited:
•••
It is a term used by racists...like cracker, Casper, white bread, and honky.

•••
we should be able to be anything wimpy, just not strong and individual. lol. :)

•••
S*****r. :xf.laugh:

It will change. The wonks are now starting to lose out, the majority have become fed up with them.

(Isn't it strange that even on a site like this, one that deals and markets in words, that a common English word which means to 'laugh in a half-suppressed, typically scornful way' is not allowed. Oh, I forgot, someone might be offended. Pathetic.)

Last edited:
•••
Also, if they weren't filming it we'd still be in denial as a society

In denial of what? That there are some people in society who still are not nice and treat everyone with respect? The majority of people, i.e. society, are not in denial, nor have been in denial for a considerable length of time.

Last edited:
•••
I'm usually the hip and current one in the room among my friends. Every new term I catch most times.

But I'm embarrassed to say I missed the repurposing of the name "Karen" into a derogatory term for privileged entitled white women. Lol

Since when?

Just Google "Karen meaning" for explanation.

Interestingly.
karen is a member of an indigenous people of eastern Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand. The language of the Karen, probably Sino-Tibetan.

Also there are 46,105 domains with the keyword Karen.

Anyone ever heard of this repurposing of the name Karen.

Curious to know who started this.

Similar to OkBoomer.com coined by some kid.
This is so much Bull Shit! I never heard of the derogatory use of the name/word Karen either. How the hell just 1-2% of the population attempts to control the narrative is beyond me. As an outspoken moderate, it makes me Mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it anymore:xf.grin:

•••
I live in a community where it is a major problem, not just random passing vids online. I guess you have to be in one of those areas to know it's out there and have concern for the rampant growth of such behavior

•••
I live in a community where it is a major problem, not just random passing vids online. I guess you have to be in one of those areas to know it's out there and have concern for the rampant growth of such behavior
And YouTube videos of public freak-outs are making things better?

•••
Even though we may be in public spaces, we still have a right to our privacy within the sort of private "bubble" we've created for ourselves within that public space, no?

I bring my dog to places.. find a spot where there's no one around to play a bit of fetch with her. Pardon me, but you're going to bring a camera around to record me, sure as heck might trigger me.

A "private bubble" can't exist in a public park, that's an oxymoron. And I hope you don't mean you'd be triggered to file a false police report of harassment when someone asks you to respect the parks rules...?

•••
•••
I don’t think it’s fair to liken disparaging remarks to “weak moments”.
My point is that we don't know what they are because we weren't there and we don't know what provoked the behaviour.

Are you so sure that everyone ever portrayed in those public freak-out videos is just a bad person?

•••
•••
•••
there is hateful and needing it. Like a hateful woman yelling rape when nothing happened and then a victim of rape having to talk about it. Its just opposite situations with the same subject. Sucks!!!!! :)

•••
I think it is hypocritical to say don't fight hate with hate while downplaying derogatory statements and racially-fueled harassment. Recording and holding people accountable for their despicable and racist behaviour is "hate" yet the person who actually made the remark simply made a "mistake" or had a "weak moment"? Is that not hate? Call a spade a spade.

People need to change the narrative from I know what X said was wrong and disgusting but there's no need to destroy his life to I know X's life is destroyed but he really shouldn't have had said those nasty things.

I think anyone who uses a racial slur or makes a racially-charged 911 call is a bad person.
Again... You're taking my general comments about how we all need to change our behaviour, and applying them to one situation, which is misrepresenting what I said.

The central park woman was clearly being hateful and was in the wrong.

•••
oh lord, we are too advanced, some barbarians are going to come in again and it all will start over. yuck! lol. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back