IT.COM

question "Karen" is now a derogatory term for entitled white women. Since when?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
I'm usually the hip and current one in the room among my friends. Every new term I catch most times.

But I'm embarrassed to say I missed the repurposing of the name "Karen" into a derogatory term for privileged entitled white women. Lol

Since when?

Just Google "Karen meaning" for explanation.

Interestingly.
karen is a member of an indigenous people of eastern Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand. The language of the Karen, probably Sino-Tibetan.

Also there are 46,105 domains with the keyword Karen.

Anyone ever heard of this repurposing of the name Karen.

Curious to know who started this.

Similar to OkBoomer.com coined by some kid.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am not sure how you have not heard of this term yet. It has been used for quite a while now on everything from news stories to internet forums.

The usage has really ramped up in the last few months. Aka uses like "Central Park Karen".

Brad

Last edited:
•••
This is the first time I heard it in this context too. Same with the term "Urban" (in the other Thread.)

•••
•••
There is also Ken, the male equivalent. Aka Costco Ken from recent news.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm usually the hip and current one in the room among my friends. Every new term I catch most times.

But I'm embarrassed to say I missed the repurposing of the name "Karen" into a derogatory term for privileged entitled white women. Lol

Since when?

Interestingly.
karen is a member of an indigenous people of eastern Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand. The language of the Karen, probably Sino-Tibetan.

Bunch of Karen videos - https://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/search.php?s=karen

•••
•••
This has been around for ages, you cant go on FB without seeing a "Karen"

•••
It is a term used by racists...like cracker, Casper, white bread, and honky.

•••
it's bullying the name, that's all.

•••
we should be able to be anything wimpy, just not strong and individual. lol. :)

•••
"Karen" is now a derogatory term for entitled white women. Since when?
Since media outlets decided to give it credence. Since social outlets decided to make it a talking point. Since Since we decided to create threads about it. Since reactions are now uproars that speak for everyone.

But, not everyone is on board with this nonsense, not even close. I think "bullying" has taken a whole new role, the schoolyard is a whole lot bigger, and the bullies a whole lot louder. So much for wearing pink.

The World of Internet: Guess we got a bit in over our heads, huh? I liked it more in the 90's, when those of us online were considered "geeks". Oh, did you hear. They are removing the terms master/slave in computing terminology.. because it totally clouded my upbringing in terms of understanding the difference between hard drives and humans.

•••
There are whole YouTube channels devoted to this term.

I'm always left scratching my head because I find that the person pulling out their phone to record someone in a weak moment is just as offensive. Maybe more so.

•••
S*****r. :xf.laugh:

It will change. The wonks are now starting to lose out, the majority have become fed up with them.

(Isn't it strange that even on a site like this, one that deals and markets in words, that a common English word which means to 'laugh in a half-suppressed, typically scornful way' is not allowed. Oh, I forgot, someone might be offended. Pathetic.)

Last edited:
•••
If you call out a bully for being a bully, does that make you a bully...?

•••

I'm always left scratching my head because I find that the person pulling out their phone to record someone in a weak moment is just as offensive. Maybe more so.

To label offensive, often threatening or illegal behavior, as weak moments is a stretch

Also, if they weren't filming it we'd still be in denial as a society

Last edited:
•••

In denial of what? That there are some people in society who still are not nice and treat everyone with respect? The majority of people, i.e. society, are not in denial, nor have been in denial for a considerable length of time.

Last edited:
•••
In denial of what? That there are some people in society who still are not nice and treat everyone with respect?
In denial that situations like those documented on film even occur. Been denying it for centuries

Point being some people are assumed never to be the one at fault

Last edited:
•••
To label offensive, often threatening or illegal behavior, as weak moments is a stretch

There's always one very important thing missing from these videos: context. I agree that some of those videos show very offensive and threatening behaviour. But whatever provoked it may have been just as bad or even worse.

Honestly, I'm fine with a little denial if it means that people aren't always pulling out their phones anytime they think they might be able to capture a viral moment.

•••

Since when?

Interestingly.

This is so much Bull Shit! I never heard of the derogatory use of the name/word Karen either. How the hell just 1-2% of the population attempts to control the narrative is beyond me. As an outspoken moderate, it makes me Mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it anymore:xf.grin:

•••
In denial that situations like those documented on film even occur. Been denying it for centuries

We know they occur, we know the idiots that do it are just that - idiots. But that does not mean it is a major problem, well apart from some people who wish to portray it as such. If it was common then everyone would see it constantly, they do not because it is not a common event.

•••

I agree. Not to justify by any means her intent in her reaction, because it was horrible. But I don't understand why no one see's the victimization of those whom are subjected to being recorded without permission.. in a stranger's phone no less! We think we have a right to use recording devices just because we have them!

Even though we may be in public spaces, we still have a right to our privacy within the sort of private "bubble" we've created for ourselves within that public space, no?

I bring my dog to places.. find a spot where there's no one around to play a bit of fetch with her. Pardon me, but you're going to bring a camera around to record me, sure as heck might trigger me.

•••
I live in a community where it is a major problem, not just random passing vids online. I guess you have to be in one of those areas to know it's out there and have concern for the rampant growth of such behavior

•••
I live in a community where it is a major problem, not just random passing vids online. I guess you have to be in one of those areas to know it's out there and have concern for the rampant growth of such behavior
And YouTube videos of public freak-outs are making things better?

•••
Back