NameSilo

Just completed my largest ever premium domain name sale! This is how I did it.

Labeled as poll in Domain Selling and Domain Sales, started by Crock, Apr 6, 2021

Replies:
Views:

?

Do you think I got a fair amount?

1. Absolutely!

11 votes
    64.7%
  2. You could have got a bit more

2 votes
    11.8%
  3. Not at all

4 votes
    23.5%
Total: 17 vote(s)
  1. Crock

Crock Software Engineer Gold Account

Back when the dot PAGE tld was released a few years ago, I was the first person to register 404.page because I thought it was super nerdy since "404" is a developer term and I'm a web developer. It is an HTTP status code that means "Page Not Found".

The original cost to register this domain on release day was $250. Since then, I've renewed it twice at a rate of $167 per year. Thus, I have $584 invested in this domain. I haven't done much in terms of outbounding to promote it because I enjoyed owning it for the period of time I did. It was my "flex" domain and just pointed at my portfolio and resume.

I have received a couple of offers in the time I owned it, but they were very underwhelming until last week when I received an offer for $600 through my Dan.com lander.

This would have left me with a profit of like $20, so I kindly explained to the buyer the situation and I was upfront about the premium renewal cost and told him how much I had invested in the domain. I gave him a counter offer of $850, which would give me a profit margin of $200 more or less.

My thinking is, if I didn't sell it now, I would never be able to sell it because every year I would be increasing the BIN price to offset the premium renewal.

To my surprise, he accepted my offer of $850 and I had Dan.com pay me through Bitcoin, so in the long run, the value I received will only increase since I'm not withdrawing it anytime soon.

After Dan.com fees, I walked away with the USD equivalent of $773, which I'm satisfied with. :)

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. noneisnone

noneisnone Wubalubadubdub VIP Gold Account

congrats on your sale the profit is good as long as you are happy with it allot of times people get second thoughts and get seller regret ^^

3. CTUXSF

CTUXSF Upgraded Member Gold Account

Congrats! Savvy sale in Bitcoin. Wishing you rising BTC value!

4. biggie

biggie GreenFriendly.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Hi

congrats on your sale!

however, 404.page is not a premium domain...
    you only paid a "premium registration cost" and "premium renewal fee", for it.

also, if buyer has to pay same price to renew that domain, in 5 years it would amount to $835!

so, you did good, to dump that chump ass name.

imo

5. Crock

Crock Software Engineer Gold Account

It's flagged as "premium" by Namecheap and all other registrars.

6. ddesigns

ddesigns 24Designs.in - Web Development and more... VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

If the sale makes you happy, you have done the right thing. So enjoy the moment... Congratulations

7. gilescoley

gilescoley Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

You don't get premium names in weak extensions like .page. Registrars do that so you buy them and use their platforms.

Avoid them in future. You got lucky selling this one. Those are crazy renewals prices when .com is $10

1 reported .page sale on namebio, yes thats right...1!!! That will give you an indication.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  8. GoodKindName

GoodKindName Established Member

Congrats on the sale!

Tbh I would probably counter at 2k since 600 is very solid for a starting offer

But hey cash is king, so it's great you got some return and now able to reinvest :)

9. CraigD

CraigD Top Contributor VIP

It's quite a quirky name for that extension.

On Namecheap the spiel reads:

"We offer high value Premium inventory through our registry and aftermarket partners. Premium domain names are usually valued higher because they are brandable keywords, short in length, and/or dictionary words."

I believe it's the registry monetizing the best names.

10. The Durfer

The Durfer Top Contributor VIP Gold Account

congratulations! :) thx for sharing.

11. RogueWriter

RogueWriter Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Congratulations on the sale. I think the main takeaway from your post is the realization that, as an investor, the renewal fee was going to kill your chances at a future sale, so you took a decent profit and moved on.

A lot of people have a hard time letting go of domains because they become emotionally attached to them; this is my $100k domain, etc.

Again, good luck on the sale, find a good name, research sales for that extension, rinse and repeat.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021 at 1:02 PM
  12. Mahogany

Mahogany Top Contributor VIP

Congratulations. I'm a web developer and find that domain very appealing. Renewals are too much for my blood but I understand your attraction to it. Congrats in the sale!

13. Avijit Roy

Avijit Roy Top Contributor VIP

14. Devanos

Devanos Established Member

Great experience
    Good price

Thanks for sharing

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice