Domain Empire

I've just dropped 75% of my names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

S8Power

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

I'm an domainer for about one year now and with the renewal fees coming up I've decided to drop 75% of my names. I've read posts on NP last year already mentioning the fact that one should think twice before registering lots of names but that did not stop me from registering all those names.

I definitely paid some learning money last year and I am glad I realised soon enough that there is no need at all having 600+ names. Developing and selling so many names is a mission impossible, one doesn't have the time to do so. And of course many names weren't as good as I thought when registerering them;) I will be using this year to develop some names and do some proper research on the best ways to sell (some of) my names.
Let my post be a warning to all of you registering tons of names just because they are still free.
Read a lot about domaining first.

Regards, Marc

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I do the same!

Yeah, same here...buyers remorse can hit you quick with domain purchases. So, because ngTLD's are so plentiful ATM, I've retrained myself to wait a couple days and chew before purchases. Rarely have I lost a good name because of this, and many times a cooler head prevails.

•••
I've been a domainer for the past 4 years now, and I still like to register a few domains that only I would like. Here's an example:
VRAAM.COM

•••
I've been a domainer for the past 4 years now, and I still like to register a few domains that only I would like. Here's an example:
VRAAM.COM

same for me
after 20 years ...

•••
I've sold some Brand Bucket listed names here on NP. Names I though weren't worth paying a renewal fee on. Problem is you never know what will sell. Every morning I wake up and see what sold the day before, and just today I noticed a name I sold here on NP for only $30 sold on BB for over $2100! Oh well.

•••
When people contact me for my consultancy they sometimes balk at my fee

But think about this... 450 domains x $12 USD = $5400 USD.

Imagine if you could started domaining with everything you needed to know, and more, for $3500; and then could make an actual sale to cover that cost pretty quickly.

It's just human nature; people fear loss, and think they know best.

Most people think that this is easy and that they will 'figure it out', meanwhile they will just bleed thousands of dollars money and suffer losses at the cost of their own hubris.

I'm sorry you had a costly lesson with no return. I hope you have a better 2016-2017 in domaining.
$3,500 fee to learn domaining? Damn, I'm in the wrong niche of this business. :)

•••
I've sold some Brand Bucket listed names here on NP. Names I though weren't worth paying a renewal fee on. Problem is you never know what will sell. Every morning I wake up and see what sold the day before, and just today I noticed a name I sold here on NP for only $30 sold on BB for over $2100! Oh well.

you need a little patience in domaining

I am stubborn
that helps

•••
I agree it's not a great idea to drink and domain, but sometimes how else will you end up with a good one like SeedFreeWeed.com

•••
Moral of the story, don't drink and domain ... and don't smoke and domain. :)

Lol, thats the most hillarious line I have seen on namepros.

Seems we all sail in the same boat. Whats the difference if I am a sober domainer, I feel the same the next day. :laugh:

•••
That's a typical domainer mistake in the beginning. Learn from it and move on. Make a portfolio with good names. Quantity does not matter when you hold quality domains.

Wish you all the best!

•••
At least now you can look forward to the savings on renewal fees. But maybe you should have dropped 100%. I don't know, since I haven't seen the domains, but is a possibility.

•••
@Kate
Thank you for your message. I've kept 100+ names such as

VRHomeEntertainment
VRCAE
CashDrones
DwarfDrones
DJPads
ZikaMosquito
Preeing
LustPills
MedsKing

All handregs and .coms.
I've seen (and had) worse names lol

•••
LOL.. same problem here. I ended up buying 400+ domains (mostly gTLDs & ccTLDs) at the beginning. It was very difficult to manage and work on them. Although, I was able to create my own portfolio but it took a lot of time and ruined my whole marketing strategy. What I LEARNT: It is better to keep just 30-50 good domain names at once and do marketing properly instead of holding 100s of domains and then wondering what to do.. lol

•••
It is important to put domain names into basket, and then forget it for few days :) It happened to me that some names were gone meanwhile, but still this is good to prevent "rush buys" and to keep your portfolio nice.

•••
It is important to put domain names into basket, and then forget it for few days :) It happened to me that some names were gone meanwhile, but still this is good to prevent "rush buys" and to keep your portfolio nice.

I would actually die if I would that

•••
I don't even handreg domains anymore. Probably hand regged about 10-15 in total.

•••

You're right but... think about it. If you sold the domain 3 years ago, it took 3 whole years to get $2100.

Let's say you sold 300 domains for 30, you'd get $9,000 in one year. If you held on to them, 3 % sell, so that's $27,000 in 3 years. Surely you were able to multiply the $9,000 in 3 years that would outweight 27,

•••
Moral of the story, don't drink and domain ... and don't smoke and domain. :)[/QUOTE]

This conversation was so funny and honest that I literally took a screenshot of it. Why I don't know (just part of my own personal madness of what I do). You know what I do? I dream of the perfect blog, like a topic really important to me, something worth writing about like cruelty to animals.. I dream of all the ways I can get seen online.. I research the words surfers are querying on that topic.. I begin to be fascinated as I discover killer phrases that are still practically untouched by PPC and many times the 2 or 3 word dot com of that phrase is available! So my brain begins running numbers, and I start to see what's possible.. with organic traffic and even PPC if the phrase is virtually untapped.. It's crazy. SO crazy that I couldn't HELP but become a domain investor because dot com is everything, I'm practically in love with it, as any domainer should be, (I think about 90% of my portfolio are dot com's) but then when I started seeing the beauty of the gtld boom and even though tons of tlds are worthless, others are PRIME real estate just waiting to be bought up. I'm so hooked. And I can't believe the domains I own. Yes, there have been a few mistakes, but most of them are gems. But yeah, the funny part is.. I never end up actually writing the perfectly structured blog I daydream about.. Only in my head I do.. because, like you, I just end up buying more domains. Been doing it a couple years on a waitressing income so that part sucks. I will be developing my brand soon, but I can't decide between about 5 dot com's. It sucks. I just can't decide!!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back