NameSilo

I've just dropped 75% of my names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

S8Power

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

I'm an domainer for about one year now and with the renewal fees coming up I've decided to drop 75% of my names. I've read posts on NP last year already mentioning the fact that one should think twice before registering lots of names but that did not stop me from registering all those names.

I definitely paid some learning money last year and I am glad I realised soon enough that there is no need at all having 600+ names. Developing and selling so many names is a mission impossible, one doesn't have the time to do so. And of course many names weren't as good as I thought when registerering them;) I will be using this year to develop some names and do some proper research on the best ways to sell (some of) my names.
Let my post be a warning to all of you registering tons of names just because they are still free.
Read a lot about domaining first.

Regards, Marc

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well said dude.... I think many of us made the same screw up when we fist got started...

Plus the dreaded "not as good as you though they were when you registered" hahaha, I think that's a problem I still have sometimes. There have been times when I would look at a domain like 2 or 3 days after registering it and wonder, why they hell was I so excited about this domain again?? ....lol

•••
i always say to myself stop reg. crap names, but somehow having couple of beers and scanning domain lists is kind of a fun hobby :)
is not even that expensive, $20 on beer, $600 on domains :)
imagine the opposite ... major headache, that way you can always drop the names you don't like

•••
I have the same thing coming up in 6 months.

I still try to get something for the domains or offer them for free if I plan to drop the domains. With bulk auctions or bargain threads, you can still sell things here and there.

With your volume, you could try to sell a bunch for let's say $2.50 per 5 domains. Sell 50 and you have the money for an extra closeout or for 2 renewals you want to keep.

Freebies are always gone within the minute. It is funny that I offered names for $1 here and nobody wanted them, but with only 1 month until expiry, people jumped on the FREE thread for that same name.
Worst case you get a few likes and have to push a bunch of domains. If you give them away for free in bulk (for instance per 10 domains), it isn't that much work

•••
i always say to myself stop reg. crap names, but somehow having couple of beers and scanning domain lists is kind of a fun hobby :)
is not even that expensive, $20 on beer, $600 on domains :)
imagine the opposite ... major headache, that way you can always drop the names you don't like

Hhahaahh I have made the exact same mistake, I noticed thought after a few beers or whisky's I end up making some wierd purchases but the next day I can kinda make sense of them, may not be good buys but I can see what sort of thought pattern I was on that made me buy them but when I smoke a joint or two and end up coming to my computer to do some domain shopping...OH BOY! ... When I check the next day, I'm totally baffled!! have no clue what sort of thought pattern I was on because most of the domains make no sense at all!!.....lol

Moral of the story, don't drink and domain ... and don't smoke and domain. :)

•••
For me it would be waring sign if I drink beer and register MANUALLY domains. It would but on some signals

•••
Same OP.

Its a lesson we all sooner or later learn haha.

•••
ebay, 99c auctions work surprisingly well, even for the worst of the worst. You might even get the odd surprise with names covering reg fee.

•••
Sell as a lot at NP.....it may be worth for someone.....

•••
I noticed thought after a few beers or whisky's I end up making some wierd purchases but the next day I can kinda make sense of them

:)

i've got Beer Maven and the next day i was like ... this is actually good, i'm gone keep this :)
but than again, one night .mobi made perfect sense to me, omg ... dot mobi is my fat chick, i was close to crying in the morning (all hand reg. but still) never again :(

•••
Sell as a lot at NP.....it may be worth for someone.....

i'm going to do a auction right now, let's see how many NP users appreciate some good romanian keywords :)

•••
:)

i've got Beer Maven and the next day i was like ... this is actually good, i'm gone keep this :)
but than again, one night .mobi made perfect sense to me, omg ... dot mobi is my fat chick, i was close to crying in the morning (all hand reg. but still) never again :(

HAHAAHHA classic... .Mobi is the fat chick!.... hahahahah 10 points.

•••
Recognizing early on in your domain endeavors the quality and potential of your portfolio is important; you can concentrate on your best names and shape and grow a more profitable portfolio.

While such lessons are a bit costly best to get the loss behind you, grow from your experience and go forward and prosper.

•••
traditionals or ngTLD's you let go?

•••
Actually Learning has to pass by regs.
No other means to jump on the learning curve.

•••
@HotKey all.coms.
They are still gone so selling them as a lot and/or @ebay isn't a possibility anymore.

•••
i'm going to do a auction right now, let's see how many NP users appreciate some good romanian keywords :)

Send me a list with single romanian keyword if is.com... May be I can find a byer

•••
•••
It's a high learning learning curve for .coms...but you've come out ahead of the game by realizing it before you renewed. Everyone gets to that point, few know when to let go.

•••
I definitely paid some learning money last year and I am glad I realized soon enough that there is no need at all having 600+ names.

When people contact me for my consultancy they sometimes balk at my fee

But think about this... 450 domains x $12 USD = $5400 USD.

Imagine if you could started domaining with everything you needed to know, and more, for $3500; and then could make an actual sale to cover that cost pretty quickly.

It's just human nature; people fear loss, and think they know best.

Most people think that this is easy and that they will 'figure it out', meanwhile they will just bleed thousands of dollars money and suffer losses at the cost of their own hubris.

I'm sorry you had a costly lesson with no return. I hope you have a better 2016-2017 in domaining.

•••
I would suggest you sale them as a lot at NP

•••
before you delete them
maybe its a good idea
to let the members have a look at them

worst thing to me is
deleting a good domain

•••
Thanks all for your comments.
The names are already gone/have been deleted. Still +/- 140 names are waiting for a buyer ;)

At first I thought it would be a good idea to register so many names because it wouldn't be a problem to sell just one name in one year for let's say mid x,xxx (covering regfee of the other names of course). But that did not happen. Your worst enemy while domaining is time. Time to develop domains, time to look for buyers and of course time ticking away untill the next renewals.

•••
Welcome to the learning curve, I think many of the new folk don't realise some of the great names that are here on Namepros for a good price, also worth listing before deleting, good luck !

•••
There have been times when I would look at a domain like 2 or 3 days after registering it and wonder, why they hell was I so excited about this domain again?? ....lol

I do the same!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back