IT.COM

question It is possible to sell brand new domains for +500$?

NameSilo
Watch

ImperiousDon

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, But it is a complicated process, It has to be an end user, trying to explain the process and time of spinning and parsing names to hand register for $6.99 is huge task, most end users don't understand all the tasks and process. they only know what it costs to register the new , never registered name. It's a very complicated process to explain and justify the reasoning for your asking price of $500, for a name that is 3 weeks old and cost $6.99 , but it can be done.

•••
@.X. you are saying that is better to sell old domains?

•••
If you are looking to flip domain names, then yes, you will do far better buying domains that drop, I believe it is pure psychological in many cases, 99.8% of the best domains are registered, be it one word, two word or three word names, but, there are names that either dropped or have never been registered that are still out there, that is what i do and is my niche as far domains names alone go, i seek out those names and register them. and it takes hours of my time to get maybe two names, I had a script built to do this, but i look at it like, people who enjoy doing puzzles, i enjoy the thrill of the catch and a very good hand register. 99% of these names require between a 2 to 4 year hold time before i get offers that i will entertain. why such a long hold time? I have no idea really, my theory is that it is purely psychological on the buyers end, that is the only explanation i have been able to come up with.

Flipping and selling domains at that $500+ price , you will need inventory from domain name auctions IMO

Last edited:
•••
Yes, it's possible,

I had done this twice recently. I hand reg a domain & then sold it for $500+ within 12 days. Two days earlier I had reg a Fintech related names & I got them interested at $1500 but the company don't like current register for too many reason. So no sale for 2nd one.

•••
Yes, I do it all the time and that is a very important part of my business.

For years, I have repeated a concept that many domain investors are unwilling to recognize: “In most cases, the age of a domain is irrelevant “.

I have been domaining for nearly 10 years and I have never had an end-user complain because the domain was registered recently.

If the domain is good, it is perfectly possible to find a buuyer. Now, to be clear, your names will sell faster if you price them $200-400.

•••
Yes, I do it all the time and that is a very important part of my business.

For years, I have repeated a concept that many domain investors are unwilling to recognize: “In most cases, the age of a domain is irrelevant “.

I have been domaining for nearly 10 years and I have never had an end-user complain because the domain was registered recently.

If the domain is good, it is perfectly possible to find a buuyer. Now, to be clear, your names will sell faster if you price them $200-400.
You are so right. There is a huge psychological hurdle for a buyer to jump when asking $500 but so much easier for them to pull the trigger when priced in the $4XX range or lower. I used to price some names at $495 and they would always sell but pricing them at low $5XX then they would just sit unsold.

•••
Yes, it's possible,

I had done this twice recently. I hand reg a domain & then sold it for $500+ within 12 days. Two days earlier I had reg a Fintech related names & I got them interested at $1500 but the company don't like current register for too many reason. So no sale for 2nd one.
On wednesday you wrote this:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-long-did-your-first-sale-take.1100018/#post-6892654

"Not sold a single domain. Still waiting for one sale. I have invested lots of money in domains from last two years but I am yet to get the joy."
Which is it ?

•••
•••
•••
So you were being sarcastic ? Why ?
Don't know why? But sometime I find my mood get changed.

I had done many sales but personally I still think I have not done what I was supposed to achieve in domaining.

•••
Not for the first 2 months you cant.

•••
I think obviously it depends on both the buyer and the domain name, but would agree with those who posted that there is a psychological factor in your favour if you keep the asking price below $500- e.g. use $488. I've spent a lot of time looking at NameBio recorded sales, and for most days the median price is around $350 even though the average price is much higher. A large number, the majority in NameBio at least, of domain sales are in the $150 to $490 range. I think that is because it is a sweet spot for most buyers. We may all think they should pay four or five figures for a killer domain name, but for small or very early businesses or organizations generally they are resistant to do so. If you can manage to be good enough at selecting names and knowing good value in purchases, and good at outbound and other promotion, I do think there is a viable model for many in this price range. It all depends on moving the per year sales ratio from 1 in 100 to maybe 1 in 10 or even better.

Last edited:
•••
Yes it's possible but not commonplace for most newcomers to domaining.

•••
It is possible but the quality of the domain is very important.

If you go through completed sales thread here on NP, you will see many of such sales.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back