Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is .US dead (??)

Yong1

Established Member
Impact
Is anyone still investing in .US domains?

Has anyone sold any .US domains lately?

Where would you sell them?

Obviously in the .US .com is king too, but I have seen at times .us being used by different companies.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
[QUOTE="distlej, Forget the vast majority of english words that don't have a business application.[/QUOTE]

Single English words are great. And doing better. IMO almost any English word could have business application, in some sense or anther. Especially when you consider the business of social network sites.

mystery.us 760 USD 2016-05-28
rage.us 500 USD 2016-05-28
unlimited.us 305 USD
delete.us 193 USD
myth.us 111 USD

•••
.us has been around and will rise in value.

•••
Sdk.us $1,250
Highlands.us $2,000

•••
Hmmm... Wonder if the buyer saw the domain as OK Bus or OKB dot us?

•••
•••
.us like most ccTLD domains are definitely not bad investments.. I believe most americans using the web do know what .us is. I know of several situations where names got unexpectedly hot. I wouldnt write off .us.

•••
Clearly.us just sold for 1000 bucks on Sedo

100% sure it was bought by Clearly.ca/Coastal which is an online glasses retailer owned by Essilor. They operate in a lots of foriegn markets under the Clearly brand. The sites operate on ccTLDs and run similar promotions.

https://opticalowl.org/coastal-coupon-buy-one-get-one-free-spring/

The sites are geo-targeted for SEO. Mostly they are the same. Essilor also owns EyeBuyDirect and FramesDirect. Perhaps they will use the .US for operating in America. :)

•••
.us is seldom used by big companies but it does happen once in a while, usually for geographic identification purposes when operating in multiple countries. It is one of those extensions that really sounds good in theory and makes complete logical sense, but as said .com is king.

it's a wonderful extension in theory with a huge market but in practice it is close to being a zombie extension.

•••
And yet, there are as many .us as there are .in

While, if you look at the threads at NP, .us is dead/dormant etc., .in is thriving.

My advice is always look at numbers and ignore the rhetoric stuff...

•••
I own some of the .us...LLL & One word domain just to diversify my portfolio..

...yeah they are dormant but if you develop them to sides with right keywords..you have a ton of good signs..with the US traffic.

..sAm

•••
There's been some good sales in .us recently on godaddy and sedo.

Switch.us $6k
Pinnacle.us $3k
Authentic.us $1.5k
Population.us $1k

and others...

•••
if .us is dead

why are new tld s any good?

•••
Easily....Americans could be the new Facebook but with spirit. Debut.us could have been a place to show musicians like a MySpace for new talent. Barney could have been anything...wait your asking what these could be??? Half of all domains are just terms correct? ? ? I think my domains make considerably more sense the the .US sales mentioned 6 posts above.
I think the most valuable names don't need explaining.

•••
I think you checked Americans.com by mistake. It has always had a landing page with option for offer. I like the name a lot and think the world of it but hey that's just me I believe! I think Debut.us is very strong as well

•••
I have seen posts here about sedos ads...they are pretty bad. But there is some setting you can change for better ads. I saw this recently here in the forum.
Why not develope americans, maybe site about famous Americans throughout history, add adsense, affiliate for American themed memoribilia/products........
. I think it's way too early to sell and doubt you will get anything close to a fair offer imo.

•••
I voted "NO"
One of the top ccTLDs so absolutely not dead.

•••
Brandingtheweb.com you are right it needs developed. It could really be a "feel good" site. I guess I come on so strong about not believing in .us because it never gets press for the most part.

•••
I sold rov.us last year for low $x,xxx. It was a decent ROI but I had held onto for a few years..

•••
The sad thing is that we were having the exact same conversations here ten years ago, about the sleeping giant (that must still be under anesthesia) :(

•••
IMHO cctlds will never be dead because there will be some local residents/companies want to use it atleast as a secondary domain.
Ofcourse they will never become as popular as .COM

•••
It would soar if it was allowed to be registered internationally but I think it serves a different purpose. When people see .us, they know it's a local company and will have no problems with shipping/customs and such. As more and more gtlds are released, it'll be hard to set apart which company is based where, so if your company only ships to the US, that would be the extension to opt for.

•••
IMO I honestly think that .US is a very risky investment for domaining as .COM is and always will be king in the USA. In terms of cctlds, I would look elsewhere, my main area of concentration right now and for the next few years will be the .IN extension as the ROI and potential for growth is incredible and .IN has now started moving at a really fast pace......its a great investment opportunity and will surely follow and most likely surpass the success of other cctlds such as .DE and .CO.UK

You can check out the following thread for more information and discussion on the .IN extension and reasons behind why it is proving to be very popular right now:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/reasons-behind-massive-growth-in-the-in-extension.924844/

.IN domains for 2 billion population country - 2MM registered
Reaction: ROI and potential for growth is incredible, .IN has now started moving at a really fast pace (this mostly due to registering Chinese (!) premium 4L and 4-5 Ns). It is a great investment oppurtunity and will surely follow and surpass the success of .de and .co.uk

.US domains for 0.3 billion population country - 1.7MM registered
Reaction: I honestly think that .US is a very risky investment for domaining as .COM is and always will be king in the USA.

Go figure... .US without Chinese premium craze and with heavy limitation who can get it is has 85% of .IN registrations that can be registered by anyone, and yet, compare the reactions.

•••
@Recons.Com , I completely agree with you in regards to your statement about the comparison of .US with .IN

To be honest, I only believe in investing in a very few cctlds... .IN

It sounds like you are saying the usTLD will never mature because the general public in the U.S accept .com as the usTLD and do not accept the actual .usTLD
Yet .net, .co, .cc, and potential other gTLD like xyz can be accepted by the U.S? and do well?

The main problem for the .us is not a lack of acceptance, its a lack of awareness. Public awareness. This will change.

•••
Following is just a few of many foreign companies using .us, Viva.us, hitachi.us, IcelandAir.us, ClubMed.us,....seems like quite a few companies are using local cctld's to target local markets, and the us is a desirable market to target:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back