NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is .US dead (??)

Yong1

Established Member
Impact
Is anyone still investing in .US domains?

Has anyone sold any .US domains lately?

Where would you sell them?

Obviously in the .US .com is king too, but I have seen at times .us being used by different companies.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not dead just nice and quiet.

lll names were my best investment so far, paid for evey other name i have aquired, just have to have patience.

Jsst before christmas i recieved the bin on 1 of my (Old) lll names at afternic (which unfortunelty i sold a year before) :( and never removed the name from the account. I sold the name for a little over $1700 and the bin offer was $9988 (that was a "random" bin price as id never expect that but there you go.

Last edited:
•••
A few good names,

Abc.us
New.us
Vps.us (sold)
Atv.us
Sql.us
Whs.us
Tox.us
Hay.us

most good combos but not all.

All sales i think were end users through email or sedo.

•••
I'll take it as this was just 3 random letters and I got it for $4 on a drop

•••
I have made a few $x,xxx sales of .us domains

The only domains that sell are those that would be worth $xxx,xxx for the dotcom equivalent.
These are big money SINGULAR names in finance, sales, travel, etc.
Also LLL.us english words.

Think of Domains like buy.us , money.us, cars.us, travel.us etc.

Forget the vast majority of 2 word names.
Forget the vast majority of english words that don't have a business application.

•••
not many investor will buy dot US with premium price that for sure! but every cctld actually have their own advantages, especially from SEO POV! I think dot us is not bad investment, since you can get them with $1 ;) lol!
just my $2

•••
LLL.us becoming rare find now a days and price is also increasing.
CHEAAA!!!!!
That's great to hear. It was meant to happen...only issue was when.america cannot have valueless llls for her extension. But that's actually true...I barely see lll.us for sale on NP. Even when u do its only 1-5. Few suuiper bargain llls floated for the past few months.scarcity is lovely in our industry.some ignore it and question it instead of just using it to your benefit.

•••
The American public for all intents and purposes still does not know .US even exists. They care even less. Think about it.
Yes I'm sure. They barely know it exists and care even less. Obviously that is what Neustar has wanted as well. Obviously that is what the US government has wanted as well.

Are you from the US and do you live here? Go ahead and ask around. Ask people out of the blue "How do you feel about .us?" 9 times out of 10 or more you will probably be asked to explain what that even is, or at most get a hesitating reply like "what is that, some kind of Internet thing?"

Even when "Del.icio.us" itself was huge and famous, you can be sure that most Americans, even people who used the site itself, still had no idea what .us is or that it even exists, that's how people are.

I'm not assuming anything - it's something that is easy to see and to read, like a dark cloudy sky indicating likely imminent rain.

>"If you were right then how come we cant see great .us names being sold for cheap?"

You really need to ask? Because people still hold out hope, and they know that the best should be worth a fortune, so they are not just going to let go unless they absolutely have to, but they will wait hoping for things to become the way they should have been already. The question you raised even only supports what I'm talking about. People have an unshakable conviction and intuition that the best .us domains are supposed to be extremely valuable, and that it is nothing but a strange and scarcely even believable anomaly that such has not been realized yet, and they are certainly not just going to abandon them.

>"Tbh i think when you combine .com's exhaustion level+ high price AND US' high and increasing population, i think .US has a slightly positive environment to emerge from."

Are you serious? That sounds so rational and reasonable, doesn't it? That's nothing but the same cup of Kool-Aid people have been serving and drinking from the beginning in 2002. I was serving and drinking that same cup of Kool-Aid myself. Are you from the US and do you know what it means when we talk about "drinking the Kool-Aid? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid)

Instead of people languishing in the same Kool-Aid saturated cup of wishful thinking, if everyone woke up to the reality and spoke up and spoke out, then maybe perhaps, God willing, there might actually be some acknowledgement of what has been going on and maybe even some meaningful change. Until then it is business as usual, just as "powers that be" clearly want.

I'm in the u.s. if you asked 100 hundred high school and college students to visit whatever.us, betcha most if not all will know what your talking about.

Local and small businesses are the ones imo that will drive the growth of .US.

Sooner or later major corporations will covet .us for targeted marketing, defensive purposes, more personal customer interactions, etc....

Anyways a domain name is more than just an extension, What's to the left can make or break you:)

Last edited:
•••
No, .us still good for investment, I think.

•••
I would buy .us
But I do not meet the requirements. I buy .ca
I meet the requirements. I believe it will increase in value in time, as will .ca
10 years from now Americans will want .us because there will be 2,700 extensions and it shows credibilty.
American citizen.
New gtld's can be registered by anyone in the world, most anyways.
What are the chances of me getting busted owning 10.us
Is it enforced?

•••
Sold D/E/F/Y-dot-us last week for low $XXX. Picked it up for $20 from closeouts half a year ago.

•••
Development will lead, sales will follow....developement was always the bane of great generic portfolio holders, till now. ..... .us for a small investment and time it is possible for you to acquire a one word generic in a cctld with strong protections and rights for it's registrants rather than in some made-up new gtld that would cost them much more for something comparable.

•••
I don't understand why ".US" can't take off !! in France people try the ".fr" before trying the ".com"
and too many companies have the ".fr" domains and are not interested in the ".com" I don't understand why this is not the case in the US !!
Good luck ".US" :)

Because US treats .com as its cctld.

Compare:

Any other country - .gov.cctld, US - .gov

Many other countries - .com.cctld, US - .com

•••
We've had good experiences with .us - they do well in search results when they've got relevant content (as is the case with .com of course) and I think the branding opportunity is far greater IMHO than say .biz

But the downside is that it really limits to the 'US' domestic market ... or someone looking to export product or service targeted to US residents or frequent travellers.

$0.02 (US hehe)

•••

Compare:

Any

Compare:

Any other country - .gov.cctld, US - .gov

Many other countries - .com.cctld, US - .com
.us was not an option Till 2002, investors not businesses got a hold of the best names so the domains just sat around rather than used in marketing to the public. The aftermarket is open to manipulation, chips and new gtlds anyone? Some smart people say the dumbest thing when they say "the American people have not embraced it" where are the case studies? A/B testing? I will bet the American people many times will choose to visit website with .us over other extensions .com excluded. Look at domains in the eyes of an enduser to see value. Credibility, Roi (sem), Seo, etc.....not what you can flip it for.

•••
No it can't be if my DAD! Just bought one off me!

•••
.usTLD is not dead! Its a beast to be awaken in my opinion. I like the defined term of dormant, as I've heard some use on the thread. You can see the stats on neustar.us, less drops with more registration.
To boot I've monitored the biding trends on Godaddy. You should too. Do an advance search, mark .us as the extension, leave out numbers and dashes, and sort by most bids... It use to be very few had bids 1-2years ago. Go check it out now. Also, I've monitored expireddomains.net, fewer drops and immediate pick up of drops/expirations of lll.us. Not even 9months ago I could registrar lll.us right from expireddomains.net.

People are actually developing sites with the .us. Many are small mom and pop shops and organizations. However, many of theses small business will be on the forefront. And .com is not an option for every company and less and less will become available. the .us is a viable option. Many high stake investors have their hand in the pot. Some of these stakeholders can move the trend of investment. Its a timing thing here.

I'm well invested in the .usTLD. I think its foolish to believe that this monster won't awake. Its a sleeping giant. The .usTLD counsel board just polled the board and the majority agree that the policy/proxy settings should be enabled. This will increase the value. As well as Neustars pathetic snail like public awareness attempt. But the .us is doing that on its own naturally, from low registration fees. And people more well cultured, immigrants from countries where ccTLD are used, will establish businesses here with the .usTLD. The senate has become involved and there is a previous bill involving the current state of the .us. You can goggle "current state of the .us" to see neustars address to the government. The government, printing paper, is involved and a stakeholder in this. I think its a little foolish to think its dead, all together.

I have plenty of domain names, some llll.co, ccc.com, lll.net, some cc.org's,and guesss what? The domain which gets the most traffic is not a .com, I get a lot of hits on competitor.us, teammate.us, sunflowers.us, ustld.us. More than the .coms or the .orgs... These are real business owners (not investors ) looking for branding or names.. These are end-users.. I've study the IP and behavior, not bots.

What does it mean when endusers are trafficking your domain names rather than investors? It means investors are missing out on something. While new gTLD will keep being barfed out, the .usTLD stands unique, ageless relative to domain extensions, and identified with what many people believe is the greatest country in the world.

•••
I'm interested to know whether there are any popular .us hack sites?

Well, .us was used for one of the original and most successful domain hacks to date with del.icio.us which later moved to delicio.us.

Eventually the site moved to .com with delicious.com as any successful hack should to prevent traffic leaks.

There have been several other .us hacks used as word plays but the most important in my opinion are local, state and national government sites on the extension. My own state of Texas uses state.tx.us as the basis for most of the state branch sites. Texas workforce commission as an example - http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

This use lends a lot of credibility and inherent trust to local and generic industry sites on .us in the U.S. I own a few generics, such as Insurance.us, and get regular emails asking about related government programs assuming the domain is owned by a government agency.

•••
Following is just a few of many foreign companies using .us, Viva.us, hitachi.us, IcelandAir.us, ClubMed.us,....seems like quite a few companies are using local cctld's to target local markets, and the us is a desirable market to target:)
You could also quote volvo.us and there are others. It's interesting that all those prominent .us end users are foreign companies. They use ccTLDs extensively so they don't have a particular bias against .us. They just do like in the other national markets.
It is a sad irony that the most loyal end users of .us are not US companies.

When investing you want to be there before the crowd, not afterwards.
The problem is that domainers apply the reasoning to any extension, and the crowd won't come. I like to say that in domaining you don't want to be a first mover but a fast second.

I was already buying .us ten years ago. I have made some good sales but overall it's a disappointing extension. I think US exceptionalism applies here. I just don't see how .us could become a 'normal' ccTLD. The US is the only major country that shuns its own extension.

•••
What do you guys think of Rehabilitate.us ? Rehabilitate has 6,600 mo searches.
Its a 1 worder at least. Low key popular trend too in america. Might just need to hold for a bit.

•••
I've got

Firewood.us
Competitive.us
BuyProperty.us
Personalize.us
Abolition.us
Legislature.us
Liabilities.us
Recommendations.us
Stakeholders.us
Vulnerability.us
TopDog.us

With the huge number of .US sales yesterday, I am sure these have some value.

•••
Does anyone know why the onslaught of .us sales was unloaded yesterday?

A total of 37 .us sales (5/28/16)

16 of those sales were $x,xxx

5 of those sales were $xx,xxx

Cash.us - $20,100
Wallet.us - $18,250
Gaming - $15,000
Hide.us -$10,000
Shirts.us - $10,000

I decided I didn't need all that $ so I let them all drop ;)

•••
Either the previous owner dropped them on purpose thinking that .US is dead.. or the previous owner is himself dead.

•••
I rarely am influenced by the opinions of others when it goes against my personal judgement. .us is a great extension used by endusers, I see small businesses using it everyday. As with any domain name no matter how good the extension is what is at the left of the dot will determine the value.

•••
•••
Yea... On namejet usTLD is starting to sell also. Especially generic one worders. Definitely a change in market over the last 6 months.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back