IT.COM

discuss Is .top worth investing in?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

rayman617

Established Member
Impact
This new gTLD .top seems to be one of the most popular but are they worth investing in and easily liquidated?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
imo, only if you have knowledge of Mandarin + Chinese cultural trends + use marketplaces like Alibaba

•••
•••
Is there any market for English use?

•••
•••
Why is .top such a hit in China? No market really outside of it?

•••
•••
A check on NB shows a flurry of sales end of June and beginning of July in the upper $xxxx, most originating from the .top registry, and Chinese wordings as the prefix. Would be interesting to know the explanation for that surge. Many of the sales were clumped in the exact same price range, so likely some sort of premium names.

I believe for English names it has been the same, mostly registry sales rather than from investors. Every so often an offer comes in on some of my names, not enough to entice me to sell.
eg
s p i n n i n g / top
n o n s /top

and personally would rather these hold these for the right buyer than a quick sell.

•••
Over 80% are CN registrants - you would have to know underlying dynamics of why it's so popular for CN, or you are just investing blindly which is rarely a recipe for success. The other concern is the registration/deletion numbers over the past 7-90 days isn't looking that great: (NamePulse data)

7 days: about -3.8% growth; 30 days: about -5.8% growth, 90 days: about -9.8% growth. This also needs to be understood. Did a promotion expire? Is there a specific registrant that went under?

Now, there were some reported sales, but it's hard to analyze an extension where most sales likely take place away from usual places like Afternic/Sedo/Uniregistry.

•••
base on my observation, my friends only play .com and .cn plus very short or premium key word in ngtld, .top was hot, now, no one want talk it...

•••
•••
•••
•••
A check on NB shows a flurry of sales end of June and beginning of July in the upper $xxxx, most originating from the .top registry, and Chinese wordings as the prefix. Would be interesting to know the explanation for that surge. Many of the sales were clumped in the exact same price range, so likely some sort of premium names.

I believe for English names it has been the same, mostly registry sales rather than from investors. Every so often an offer comes in on some of my names, not enough to entice me to sell.
eg
s p i n n i n g / top
n o n s /top

and personally would rather these hold these for the right buyer than a quick sell.

I noticed that big number of registry sales as well a couple of weeks ago. None of them were actually resolving at the time. Stumbled upon it by accident and thought it to be strange. An investor would probably make it resolve to some kind of lander.

Last edited:
•••
•••

eg
s p i n n i n g / top
n o n s /top

Can you share what some of your offers were? I'm sitting on a bunch of generic .top names that could fetch a decent price in .biz or .info.

•••
Why is .top such a hit in China? No market really outside of it?

Because Chinese people only want to be on TOP. There's no other place that's acceptable.. so if your business is TOP, they want it!

•••
•••
I have received 2 offer one of my .top domain $250 and $500
***Oil.top

•••
•••
Because Chinese people only want to be on TOP. There's no other place that's acceptable.. so if your business is TOP, they want it!

my personal view: from Chinese culture view, .top is really a over high profile extention, there was a famous video while a stupid people introduce himself as a TOP designer( and many other TOP titles ) in front of Jack Ma, people just laugh at him just like find the most stupid guy on the earth....too high profile to be respected...

so, well educated business man in China will never call themself the top....if u meet some Chinese always flaunt/display himself as the top,, just stay away from him...our culture encourage low key....so, the failure of .top is foreseeable in my view...

....I have no any relationship(good or bad) with .top company or its staff, I have only 1 .top name which I am going to drop...

just my 2 cents

Last edited:
•••
As of today, I sold the only one .TOP for $850 to the buyer from Moscow.
Without GoDaddy - this TLD is a question of luck only.

•••
Can you share what some of your offers were? I'm sitting on a bunch of generic .top names that could fetch a decent price in .biz or .info.
Upper xxx and 1k with the names I gave as example. They fit well with their dot-top extension.

•••
It is at least an 82% Chinese registrations gTLD with, from memory, about 10% US registrations. That means that a lot of English language keyword domain names may not sell well. If you know the Chinese market then it may be worth a gambling on a few registrations but don't expect .COM winnings.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
If you start typing out toptoptoptoptop to infinity you can claim to own the most expensive domain or the illuminati will come after you. (someone will get my humour)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back