Dynadot

question Is this an appraisal scam?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TheParisian

Impact
Hi all,

I am writing on this chat to get some help regarding a potential domain sale.
Someone has contacted me and said they were interested in buying one of my domains, but said they would need a "certificate of appraised value" first . And of course, from a "source he knows and trusts"... This sounds very dodgy to me, is it a scam? These days one has to be extra careful, plus it seems like a quite costly procedure (50-100usd depending on websites). Anyone has had to do that before?

Thanks a lot for your help !!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
usually these come all dressed with the apparaisal link right in there.. and they get you good like that!

Last edited:
•••
Hi all,

Someone has contacted me and said they were interested in buying one of my domains, but said they would need a "certificate of appraised value" first . And of course, from a "source he knows and trusts"... This sounds very dodgy to me, is it a scam? These days one has to be extra careful, plus it seems like a quite costly procedure (50-100usd depending on websites). Anyone has had to do that before?

As fake as Pamela Anderson's knockers...

•••
Hi all,

Don't waste time replying. Scam. Ignore.

•••
Thanks guys - Interesting scam !

•••
Thanks guys - Interesting scam !

Known as 'the appraisal scam'..as you can see they lure you in with the hopes that you get a sale. In the end, you are out of pocket $100 and you never hear from them again.

Good that you followed your gut feeling and asked on here. :)

•••
This scam has been around for more than a decade, but guess the price and effort of mass mailing still makes it an attractive approach with new domainers spotting a quick sale and profit.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back