IT.COM

Is this a new GoDaddy/Escrow scam or ...?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Here is the story.

-I have a domain listed on GD Auctions with Buy Now price.
-This domain gets counteroffers and offers from private buyers, Afternic and GD potential buyers on a weekly/monthly basis.

-Recently a person wanted to "buy" this domain via GD Auctions marketplace and I was informed by GD that "buyer" wanted to use Escrow.com and that we will finish our transfer there. After 10-ish days of silence from "buyer" I talked to Escrow and they told me that they never heard back from him/her once Transaction started (buyer never choosed his method of payment etc..)

-So I talked to GD and they told me I can request to cancel the sale so I can relist domain, BUT only after 15 days.
-So I waited more and overall I lost 20+ days with the fake buyer. Politely asked GD to not allow this "buyer" to be able to Buy my domains.....

-Nevertheless I got Email 2 days ago from Escrow and GoDaddy (again) that there is a buyer and he wanted to finish transaction via Escrow (sure thing). I instantly knew this was the same time waster that obviously have some agenda.

Now, I will lose another 20 days AGAIN, my domain is delisted AGAIN from GD marketplace and I will need to contact GD AGAIN with my story, and 2 dozens of Emails later I will probably have domain relisted again..

How to stop this? (is there an option to decline Escrow.com transactions if you are selling via GD Auctions Marketplace?)
Is this new?
Have you experienced this before?
Why are people so sad?
Is there a life after death?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As far as I know, there is no escrow service available at Godaddy.com. May be Godaddy"s brokering service, other than GD Auctions, is entertaining escrow service to the buyer/seller.

•••
As far as I know, there is no escrow service available at Godaddy.com. May be Godaddy"s brokering service, other than GD Auctions, is entertaining escrow service to the buyer/seller.
Someone found a loophole, or should I say, I way to molest sellers on GoDaddy, by pressing BuyNow button and pushing this to Escrow.

Because of this domain is not listed at least 20 days each month.

What kind of business is this?

•••
•••
Check the marketplace for a domain which is similar but at an equal or higher asking price than yours. It could be its owner trying to hide your domain from a potential buyer they are approaching. That's my guess.

Hoping it is a serious buyer who just isn't familiar with domain purchase procedures. Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
Gd uses escrow .com for transactions over $5K according to this article not sure it's may be outdated info

https://godaddy.com/help/understanding-godaddy-auctions-payment-transactions-909
I just went through this article, and they say that domains over $5K are pushed to Escrow.com....what a mumbo jumbo...what if the buyer is from Japan or China and they couldnt care less opening account at Escrow?
I am guessing this is what probably happened as domain is SEO domain, not KW or one word or number domain...People are interested indomain cause of the SEO power and if they are bothered opening account with Escrow they could buy other SEO domain with similar metrics .....I guess.

So, it could be that I do not have time waster trying to ruin my business, it is just GD that is wasting peoples time and money....

Oh and 20% cut for GD when the domain is sold is absolutelly out of touch with reality.

Thanks for your answers guys.

•••
-Nevertheless I got Email 2 days ago from Escrow and GoDaddy (again) that there is a buyer and he wanted to finish transaction via Escrow (sure thing). I instantly knew this was the same time waster that obviously have some agenda.
Are you sure this is the same "time waster" as you say?

Also, it is possible that the buyer was scared off with the amount of documentation required for transactions on Escrow's platform. Maybe buyer got their paperwork together now?

I hope you get it resolved and there is a possibility you got one on the line. Have patience and reel it in gently. Best to you!

Last edited:
•••
just redirect to undeveloped... and hope that same buyer visits the domain and clicks on "Buy Now"...

•••
Still nothing, I guess I will have to find another way to sell $5K+ domains

•••
Update, 2 weeks later and now I have to go through the same process

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-11_17-59-4.png
    upload_2018-12-11_17-59-4.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 118
•••
So, here is the news and something to think about (this goes to GoDaddy).

I relisted domain, for $4900 and sold it 30 days later.

I received the money from GD this morning.

I suggest GoDaddy to up the limits to at least $10K , because limiting in-house sales to $5K both sellers and GD lose money.

q9CthUU.png

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back