Dynadot

domain Is this a good idea or a REEEALLY bad one? - newbigbang.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanielEC

Established Member
Impact
This might be a dumb question. Sorry, but I'm new to all this.

I've had a handful of domains on hand that I bought for 12 bucks apiece on Godaddy brand-spanking new. Estibot says one of them (newbigbang.com) is valued at $900, and the others are a bit less.

So:

1) Will anyone pay for these domains?

2) Can I turn this into a business... buying catchy new domains that are valued high by Estibot.

Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
don't believe what estibot says. domaining is way more complicated and time consuming than an estibot value.

just start reading about domaining. and never stop,

that's the trick.

•••
Ok what you need to do is go and find a monkey and ask it the value of your domain because the monkey will be more accurate than estibot :P . Estibot should be used for entertainment purposes only, if you have a subscription cancel it now and save yourself some money.

On a side note i like the name newbigbang.com, its kind of cool.

•••
Thanks for your reply. I guess... it was a dumb idea.

•••
No its not a dumb idea at all, just dont use things like estibot to value your names or find buyers, READ READ READ, then put into practice and you will do just fine

•••
@saoirsetech, LOL. I guess I feel a little better about a big disappointment I had today.

Yesterday I looked up the name monument-colorado.com (local town) on Estibot and it said 246,000 dollars! :O Had to double check to be sure, and it said the same thing.

So I ran to Namejet and told them I wanted to sell it, bragged about how much it was worth, etc, then I checked today again and Estibot said $230 for the domain. Maybe a glitch, idk, either way I wanted to cry.

•••
I wouldn't be to disheartened, i think 90% of domainers have made similar mistakes when starting out. There is an appraisal section on this site, post your names there and you will get honest appraisals and advice.

•••
Hmm, ok, I am new to this :) Have you had any luck with domaining?

•••
yep, loads. But it is a lot of work and not easy.

•••
Well that's good. The learning part or the doing part?

•••
First off, welcome to domain investing.

Next, real good money can be made but you have to be willing to spend the time to do it. Since you are new, the best thing to do is to read everything you can about the field. Reading and research are the keys to making money in this area. If you have any question, which you should, just ask others and weigh what is said.

Everyone thinks they are going to jump into domaining and get rich right away. If that was the case then everyone would be doing it.

Just read, research and listen to those that have been in the field and you can do very, very well.

DO NOT, listen or take anything an automated appraisal gives as worth anything more than just entertainment (at best), especially estibot. This forum and other like it have people coming here all the time thinking they hit the jackpot because the registered a domain that estibot says is worth something good.

Don't be disappointed, just look at the money you spent on your domain/s as a learning lesson.

Also, be careful with registering any domains where there are potential Treademark issues. Many people make the mistake and doing this and it can cause serious financial and/or legal troubles and they are not worth the risk.

You newbigbang.com has a potential Trademark issue, depending on why it was registered and what it is used for. The TV show Big Bang can cause you or another problem sometime down the road if it's used for purposes that relate to the TV series.

As long as it's not used for TV related stuff, you'll more than likely be fine.

Good luck and welcome to the world of domains! :)

•••
•••
My friend this is a trap every new domainer falls into at some point, falling under the deceptive cloak of EstiBot valuation!

Don't trust EstiBot or take its appraisal seriously, nor that or any online appraisal. Nor should you ever pay for an appraisal.

A domain is worth as much as the End User or somebody is willing to pay for it, that is the rule of thumb!

Take care with registering random names, read around the forum and learn from the tips and advice other users share on here, NamePros a great place to learn.

Goodluck!

•••
A big thanks to everyone for their help and advice. You all just have saved me a bunch of grief.

•••
A big thanks to everyone for their help and advice. You all just have saved me a bunch of grief.
You are most welcome.

Don't get discouraged, just do some research and reading (no ebooks) and ask any questions that you have. You have a great attitude and that's a big plus in this business.

Good Luck :)

•••
You newbigbang.com has a potential Trademark issue, depending on why it was registered and what it is used for. The TV show Big Bang can cause you or another problem sometime down the road if it's used for purposes that relate to the TV series.

I don't see any trademark issues here

-------------------------------
I am not a lawyer
no legal advice

•••
I don't see any trademark issues here

-------------------------------
I am not a lawyer
no legal advice
There's a very popular American TV series called The Big Bang Theory so that's why I said "Potential" and not that there is. It would really depend on what it's being used for and if anyone even cares. I think as long as he's not streaming episodes of that TV series or selling merchandise then there should be no problems.

•••
I just want to sell the domain, ha ha.

•••
I just want to sell the domain, ha ha.
Just don't mention the TV series, that's still considered profiting from someones TM.

I am not saying yours is a TM issue, but that it could be.

If you own a domain that has a TM issue, you can not profit from the TM holders TM in ANY way. That includes selling a domain, having ads on a TM related domain that are in the same field as the TM is in by either you placing them there or having the domain parked and it's showing ads in the same field as the TM holders TM.

Just don't try to promote it in the same field and you should have no problems. I think you only would if you tried to promote it in a way referencing any actual TM.

•••
•••
Those estibots are more like smartphone 'x-ray - apps' than reliable appraisal tools ;)

•••
Those estibots are more like smartphone 'x-ray - apps' than reliable appraisal tools ;)
WAIT!!! They have x-ray apps?

That can save me soooo much time when I need to get one done. Now I just have to download one and tell my doctor about it! ;)

•••
OK I won't. How should I go about selling my collection?

•••
Well, there are many paces that you can try to sell them. Here in the marketplace, Flippa, Sedo, GoDaddy auctions.

The first thing you might want to do is post a thread in the Appraisal section here with your list so that way you can try to get an idea as to what some might be worth. Just don't get discouraged if you don't hear what you would like to. It's very common for people new to domains to register domains, only to find out that they are either not worth much or nothing at all. I am NOT saying that is your case, I just don't want you to get disappointed and discouraged if that is the case.

Either way, just don't go and get paid appraisals as that might cost more than the names are worth. Also, I wouldn't go for any paid listings on the domain marketplaces unless there's one worth the extra cost.

Good luck

•••
Just relax and try something without any expectations.
Then go for a walk into the nature for example or meet some nice people.
Then try another thing without any expectations.
Then train yourself in patience.
;)
Repeat this 'game' as long as you think you will sell them someday.
All the best!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back