IT.COM

question Is there any correlation between the # of views a domain listing gets and how quickly it sells?

NameSilo
Watch

padawan

Impact
Probably didn't frame this post title as best as I could, but curious to know if anyone has any info on this.

I understand that all it really comes down to is the right person seeing your listing at the right moment. At the same time, you might have a domain that you have listed well above its value, so maybe it gets a lot of views but no real interested buyers.

At some level, I would like to think there's a ratio/average # of views a listing gets before it sells, or at least some sort of measurement that indicates that you may be overvaluing or undervaluing your domain name.

Feels like a metric such as this would be pretty useful for finding the optimal pricing strategy.

Does anyone have any info or context they could provide around this? Thanks in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Probably didn't frame this post title as best as I could, but curious to know if anyone has any info on this.

I understand that all it really comes down to is the right person seeing your listing at the right moment. At the same time, you might have a domain that you have listed well above its value, so maybe it gets a lot of views but no real interested buyers.

At some level, I would like to think there's a ratio/average # of views a listing gets before it sells, or at least some sort of measurement that indicates that you may be overvaluing or undervaluing your domain name.

Feels like a metric such as this would be pretty useful for finding the optimal pricing strategy.

Does anyone have any info or context they could provide around this? Thanks in advance!
Good morning Padawan and welcome to NamePros.

Is it possible for you to be a little more specific about your question. I'd say that there is no set ratio for views to sales. There are too many parameters to consider. However, the rule applies that the better a name is the number of views is likely to increase. Also, a trending niche or industry is likely to have more views than a niche or trend that has faded in relevance.

There is also the possibility that many of the views are pesky BOTS and they/them are the bane of my life.

I wish you well on your journey.

Rgrds,

Reddstagg

•••
It is just as interesting if a domain has no views at all, over a longer period of time. Then you have to investigate whether the domain is properly configured (check domain nameservers, domain Hold status, domain fail listed, domain expired, domain blocked by antivirus software, spelling mistake in the domain name, etc. etc.)

Last edited:
•••
No there is no correlation between number of views and how quickly or even if a name will sell. Most of those views are not to be trusted (bots, other domainers)

If views equaled sales all the top unsold dictionary words would all be sold.

•••
Squadhelp shown than repeated visits by the same person strongly increase the probability of selling

This also seems a bit obvious

And most visits are bots anyway

So this is a very unreliable metric to base our decisions on

•••
If there is some real traffic it's a good sign for your domain and it means there is some interest ... but there again there is no guarantee for a quick deal. Anyway succes in the future! GLTA

•••
Something curious I have noticed at least at Dan, if you price domains at very low $XXX BIN, marketplace views all but disappear !? Tweak the price up more towards mid $XXX & back come the views !?

•••

The best dictionary word .coms held by top domainers can get hundreds of daily views, yet go years without enquiries, whereas a 3-word hyphenated alphanumeric handreg stinker out in the wilderness can sell within months if someone has more money than sense (or is up to no good).

•••
The more inquires you get the more you know you have a Diamond.
No inquires, no sales.

•••
Most traffic are bots + curious domainers .
But at google analytics the repeated visitors + visitors spending minutes on your landing page sometimes can give indication of serious/interest for a specific domain .

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back