NameSilo

Is There A Copyright On The Word 'Bingo'?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I normally focus on really generic product domains. Now, I had an idea for a new site that would have a domain entitled _______bingo.com I guess my question is, is Bingo a public domain kind of game, that's been around for a zillion years, or is it a game that a specific individual/corporation holds a copyright to?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
sure it can... apple, chocolate, etc.. You just cant TM it for the generic usage...

So yeah, bingo is safe.

•••
JRBHosting said:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bingo

Last I checked, a dictionary word can not be trademarked
The confusion lies in the fact that a trademark is not for a word on it's own. A tradmark is for a word mark in association with a category as outlined by the USTPO. If you search the database you will see multiple trademarks for the same term because they are under different categoies of use.

Here are three under Goods&Services for the word mark BINGO.

BINGO;
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=b582ds.2.43
IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Motorized wheel chairs, motorized carts, and motorized scooters, and structural and replacement parts therefor

BINGO;
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=b582ds.2.54
IC 033. US 047 049. G & S: wine

BINGO;
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=b582ds.2.99
IC 003. US 001 004 006 050 051 052. G & S: Pipe and drain cleaning compound.

As long as your use of the term "Keyword"BINGO is not in relation to an existing trademarked use of the same, you should be OK. When in doubt always check with an attorney.

•••
Well it would be used as a certain type of Bingo game, so I probably need to check with an attorney, like suggested...... Thanks everyone!

•••
I don't believe the actual game is anyhow protected by any laws that would restrict anyone making business out of it. I mean as far as I know, the game has it roots hundreds of years back in time, even the "modern" name bingo didn't appear until the beginning of 20th century. Now I'm not 100 % sure, but I don't _think_ there should be any problem using "Bingo".

•••
JRBHosting said:
Last I checked, a dictionary word can not be trademarked
Man, there's a loaded gun.

Try telling that to some firms out there. eBay thinks they own every possible word or combination of the words that include e-b-a-y and will try to strong arm you to turn them over.

They attempted to get www.MaineBays.com from me. A couple of years ago, my wife and I were planning an extended trip kayaking along coastal Maine and parts of Nova Scotia and this was to be my on-line photo journal.

eBay threatened legal action. Essentially they said I had to surrender or cancel my registration due to trademark and copyright infringement. I threatened legal action back and told them I would be happy to look up the heirs of the founder and namesack of Chesapeake Bay as well as the heirs to the botanist who found and named the native plant found here in the North Carolina hills called Rose Bay. And who can forget that heartful R&B tune "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" written by Otis Redding and Steve Cropper and recorded by Otis Redding December 7, 1967, just three days before his death in a plane crash outside Madison, Wisconsin. Those heirs are perhaps due quite a bit of eBay moola, don't ya think?

How dare they, eBay, tread on the rights of these folks by stealing those four letters from the poor helpless rightful heirs.

Well, ebay backed off, thank you.

And, auto maker BMW thinks they own the rights to anything with that combination of letters.

And Sedo will not allow me to park any domain that has the work OLYMPICS, OLYMPIC, or OLYMPIAD in it claiming that it is in conflict with a German company's rights.

But the latest fiasco is I own the domain YAHOOISMS.COM. That word appeared in the dictionary long before YAHOO, the firm, came into existence.

Here is the south, it is a fairly common slang word and a twist on YAHOO!, a very common expression and good ol' boy thing.

Sedo and TDNAM has banned the domain due to potential trademark violations.

Screw them.

I think I'll contact a hot shot law firm and start a class action lawsuit against the internet firm, YAHOO. After all, they stole the word right out of a 1980's Mountain Dew commercial.

So, I'll represent all of us 40-50 something generation and Mountain Dew and sue the heartless folks at YAHOO for ripping off us good ol' southern boys most favorite expression of endearment and hillbilly exciteability.

But the final blow is how they diminished the value and spat upon my lasting and fond memories of getting my first kiss from little ol' pig tailed Betty Sue and all the whilest I ran home exclaiming and shouting "YAHHHHOOOOOOOO!" to the birds in the trees and moo cows in the field "YAHHHHOOOOOOOO!" all the way home in my bare feet with this funny tingling sensation down in my breetches.

Why, don't cha know, someone musta heard me in my love struck swimmy headed moment and stole the very words right from out of my mouth and went on to be rich and famous at the expense of my poor ol' broken heart when she done did runt off and got married to Billy Joe JimBob McAllister, Junior when she weren't but 14 years.

Bastards.

Happy Holidays, or whatever is politically correct as of this writting, TO ALL!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back