Dynadot

status-resolved Is there a certain Namepros mod moving/deleting stuff just b/c?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
Is there? If a thread is Industry News or General Discussion, placed there by good intent and relative to the Section, what is up??

A little bemused here. There's been some threads here, made by myself or others, that seem to randomly be moved from the general discussion area based on.. wat exactly? Other than that polite notification "Reason: moved to so-and-so" even though it's perfectly fits in the section it was actually placed in.

Even deleting posts that are simply OPINIONATED! Overly strong! Yep. That happens sometimes, it does not warrant a deletion particularly if someone is attached and vested into your community. Same goes for the complainer, the reporter, maybe they feel they have been unjustly called out or badly worded towards. For sure they shouldn't have to put up with it however there's recourse for them that doesn't involve negating a post via deletion just because they "feel" that way. It should really be an absolute, clear out-of-line post to be called into question.

So either, this is a certain Namepros mod doing things out of a personal agenda, or they receive a "report" from some anon member that has it in for us and therefore feel they have to act.

We need more explanation, thank you very much NP. You're actually really starting to piss me off. Like, give an in-depth explanation. It's really the polite and respectful thing to do with your long-standing members.

Also, if it's due to a "report" maybe question the source.

There are so many irreverent threads that stay the course within sections even now I can give countless examples. But unless it's totally blatant I'm not going to report it, because there's traction and there's good discussion revolving around it.

The two threads I created recently have unjustly been relocated and are now lost to oblivion. This would be cool if they were so off-base it was actually warranted.

There is another thread that was in Industry News that got heated and now has been put into NP support area or somewhere around there. Yet way crazier threads are cool, in the same original sections.

Some weird-ass hypocrisy going on. And I am not cool with it.

Namepros you have to realize this is a NEGATIVE effect on interactions and it creates mistrust in you. Such as what I have now. Whatever happened to community moderation, or was that just smoke and mirrors? Clearly someone Namepros has in place has dropped the ball. It started last Fall, 2023. For me personally anyways.

So, this thread indeed is in the wrong section I wholeheartedly acknowledge that and look forward to the addendum. Please put where you believe it will gain less traction or help yourself justify whatever you think needs justifying.

Have a great effin day and congratulations, one step forward two steps back at this point as far as I'm concerned. Be well guys and gals.

- Hots

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They will definitely move this thread 🤣. As far as the deleting it probably only takes one report and a finding of rule breaking to get someone’s post deleted. If they don’t feel the rules are stretched or broken they won’t delete no matter how many reports received.

The moving of threads is a bit of a mystery I agree on that. Does it really matter where the thread lands? As long as your thread is still viewable I don’t see how it matters.

•••
Is there? If a thread is Industry News or General Discussion, placed there by good intent and relative to the Section, what is up??

A little bemused here. There's been some threads here, made by myself or others, that seem to randomly be moved from the general discussion area based on.. wat exactly? Other than that polite notification "Reason: moved to so-and-so" even though it's perfectly fits in the section it was actually placed in.

Even deleting posts that are simply OPINIONATED! Overly strong! Yep. That happens sometimes, it does not warrant a deletion particularly if someone is attached and vested into your community. Same goes for the complainer, the reporter, maybe they feel they have been unjustly called out or badly worded towards. For sure they shouldn't have to put up with it however there's recourse for them that doesn't involve negating a post via deletion just because they "feel" that way. It should really be an absolute, clear out-of-line post to be called into question.

So either, this is a certain Namepros mod doing things out of a personal agenda, or they receive a "report" from some anon member that has it in for us and therefore feel they have to act.

We need more explanation, thank you very much NP. You're actually really starting to piss me off. Like, give an in-depth explanation. It's really the polite and respectful thing to do with your long-standing members.

Also, if it's due to a "report" maybe question the source.

There are so many irreverent threads that stay the course within sections even now I can give countless examples. But unless it's totally blatant I'm not going to report it, because there's traction and there's good discussion revolving around it.

The two threads I created recently have unjustly been relocated and are now lost to oblivion. This would be cool if they were so off-base it was actually warranted.

There is another thread that was in Industry News that got heated and now has been put into NP support area or somewhere around there. Yet way crazier threads are cool, in the same original sections.

Some weird-ass hypocrisy going on. And I am not cool with it.

Namepros you have to realize this is a NEGATIVE effect on interactions and it creates mistrust in you. Such as what I have now. Whatever happened to community moderation, or was that just smoke and mirrors? Clearly someone Namepros has in place has dropped the ball. It started last Fall, 2023. For me personally anyways.

So, this thread indeed is in the wrong section I wholeheartedly acknowledge that and look forward to the addendum. Please put where you believe it will gain less traction or help yourself justify whatever you think needs justifying.

Have a great effin day and congratulations, one step forward two steps back at this point as far as I'm concerned. Be well guys and gals.

- Hots
Hello,

At the end of the day, every moderator's job is to enforce the rules equally, for all members, without playing any favorites, regardless of a member's status.

Generally, moderators don't go hunting down rule violations and have daily tasks that keep them busy most the day. Moderators rely on members (like yourself) to report rule violations and will then investigate and take further action (when applicable). Not all reports result in actions being taken if a rule wasn't violated or the thread topic fit best where it was.

It sounds like the threads and posts you are referring to were reported by one or more concerned members and that a moderator found there to either be a rule violation or that the thread itself fit better in another section based on the topic or promotional nature (Unauthorized advertising).

Keep in mind, there is sometimes a fine line between opinionated and overly strong engagement. Once the line is crossed into antagonism, harassment, name calling, etc... it then violates a rule and a moderator is tasked with taking action(s).

All members are expected to follow rule 1.2. Be professional, tactful, and constructive at all times, including with your username and profile picture. Do not intentionally disrespect, harass, threaten, attack, instigate, insult, antagonize, or be aggressive toward others.

Each case is different. Without knowing the specific thread(s) you are referring to; it would be impossible to determine why a moderator took action to move them or remove a post within them.

We hope that information helps.

•••
they receive a "report" from some anon member that has it in for us and therefore feel they have to act.
Probably 99% can be attributed to reports. Just whichever mod gets to the report first.

Let’s open this dialogue to specific examples. Could you provide us with links to threads?

Generally, we try to keep the forums organized so that if there is a more specific section, such as posting about .ai domains in General Discussion, we’d move that to ccTLD, but if members feel strongly about us not doing that, then it’s certainly something we could do less.

Let us know.

•••
In my opinion, an important part of the incorrect placements will be due to the complicated structure (hierarchy) of the subsections on this forum, the inability to find sections, a certain overlap of sections, and the fact that fewer and fewer people are used to interact with others in this way. On social media, it's #all #about #tags, endless scrolling, instead of having lots of subsections and pagination. Having said this, it's good that, for example, appraisal requests and sales listings do not disrupt the general domain discussion section and are therefore moved.

There may be reason to radically simplify the structure of the forum in the long term, so that a younger audience can also use the forum usefully and enjoyably. An improved search function is definitely part of this.

Last edited:
•••
In my opinion, an important part of the incorrect placements will be due to the complicated structure (hierarchy) of the subsections on this forum, the inability to find sections, a certain overlap of sections, and the fact that fewer and fewer people are used to interact with others in this way. On social media, it's #all #about #tags, endless scrolling, instead of having lots of subsections and pagination. Having said this, it's good that, for example, appraisal requests and sales listings do not disrupt the general domain discussion section and are therefore moved.

There may be reason to radically simplify the structure of the forum in the long term, so that a younger audience can also use the forum usefully and enjoyably. An improved search function is definitely part of this.
Sounds too barbaric. I would just ban everybody

•••

I can say I modded here for many years. I created the first extensions specific sub forum. But thinking about a lot of stuff over the years I have wondered if there are too many sections, it's a lot for the mods and the members to keep up with.

But whenever you are talking about Namepros, it's rules, it's management, it's never news or general domain discussion. This is the section where that stuff should be located.

•••
You're more than capable of knowing exactly what I'm talking about. But really, congrats on losing my confidence. It's all fishy and all the info you need is in my original post you're more than capable of digging.

It's fine, I understand it's difficult to backtrack and admit something wrong going on jees it could be illuminating and rebuild trust. Who wants that.

Lets go thru a few examples:

• "movies on domains" in General Discussion. Don't move I like it there. But it's not the right spot.
• "give flowers to fellow dudes" in General Discussion. Don't move I like it there. But it's not the right spot.
• "10x crypto vs domains" in General Discussion. Don't move I like it there. But it's not the right spot.
• "CRM for outbound" in General Discussion. Don't move I like it there. But it's not the right spot.
• "options for finding best pricing.." in General Discussion. Don't move I like it there. But it's not the right spot.
• "strange case of world.com and NS" in General Discussion. Don't move I like it there. But it's not the right spot.
• "What to do with a high-grade domain Go.La" in General Discussion. Don't move I like it there. But it's not the right spot.

I mean, it's endless I can go on and on my point is to me it feels a concentrated effort to remove my threads from the same category and it feels like SHIT. Who, why, what rationale? Here's recent my two:

• "for the record, my giveaways" originally in General Discussion. Moved to like promotions or somewhere. You have got to be kidding me, this should have eyes not buried. It's not a promotion its literally relaying that just because a member is giving away domains doesn't mean they are out of the game. It's important info.
• "domain search extinguished via Google results" originally in General Discussion. Moved to reviews I believe. I am not reviewing anything, stating something that I came across that's directly correlated to the importance of domains and names with search results omittance.

As per @karmaco 's "does it really matter where the thread lands?" well maybe not to some people but to me it does and that should count for something because I am HERE and I RETURN and I make a logical, concise effort when writing my posts and where they are placed.

If you're going to null and void a decision I've made on the forum to take my time writing regarding a post or thread, give me the courtesy of a proper explanation with a direct recourse option. Unless I'm just some random focker posting whatever wherever without regard to repercussions.

Mod(s) you mentioned each case is different. Care to extrapolate because I definitely agree and how is my case special?

•••
Keep in mind, there is sometimes a fine line between opinionated and overly strong engagement. Once the line is crossed into antagonism, harassment, name calling, etc... it then violates a rule and a moderator is tasked with taking action(s).

All members are expected to follow rule 1.2. Be professional, tactful, and constructive at all times, including with your username and profile picture. Do not intentionally disrespect, harass, threaten, attack, instigate, insult, antagonize, or be aggressive toward others.
Show us please. You deleted the posts, and now there is no access to them.

When you delete a post, put a link to the post and a way for us to publicly denounce or applaud it.

Why are you putting antagonism, aggression, instigation, disrespect, attacks and insults into the same category as harassment and threatening within the same category? We can be professional and still have extreme reactions which SHOULD be ACCEPTED.

The community can decide for themselves one their level of interaction: not replying, ignoring the thread, blocking the poster, etc etc.

An extreme case should absolutely be moderated. But I can not think of one time ever that I was out of line where it warranted a deletion, yet you did it. Like two or three times. So you put up with babies but not men?

These are our RIGHTS as humans for expression. It is indeed intentional. What do you think we are all programmed robots? When on a digital interface, they are limited to just that and should be EMBRACED. In a physical arena it obviously makes sense to put boundaries.

•••
• "movies on domains" in General Discussion. Don't move I like it there. But it's not the right spot.
• "give flowers to fellow dudes" in General Discussion. Don't move I like it there. But it's not the right spot.
• "10x crypto vs domains" in General Discussion. Don't move I like it there. But it's not the right spot.
• "CRM for outbound" in General Discussion. Don't move I like it there. But it's not the right spot.
• "options for finding best pricing.." in General Discussion. Don't move I like it there. But it's not the right spot.
• "strange case of world.com and NS" in General Discussion. Don't move I like it there. But it's not the right spot.
Where might they go instead?

• "for the record, my giveaways" originally in General Discussion. Moved to like promotions or somewhere. You have got to be kidding me, this should have eyes not buried. It's not a promotion its literally relaying that just because a member is giving away domains doesn't mean they are out of the game. It's important info.
• "domain search extinguished via Google results" originally in General Discussion. Moved to reviews I believe. I am not reviewing anything, stating something that I came across that's directly correlated to the importance of domains and names with search results omittance.
Please include their links. As a bonus, others will be able to weigh in with their opinions.

Edited to add the links:

to me it does and that should count for something because I am HERE and I RETURN and I make a logical, concise effort when writing my posts and where they are placed.
It does count, and that’s totally fair.

Last edited:
•••

Appreciate letting me blow off some steam, I'm sure we both have better things to focus on. This is a hamster wheel, my point has been made and let's move on.

•••
Appreciate letting me blow off some steam, I'm sure we both have better things to focus on. This is a hamster wheel, my point has been made and let's move on.
Nah wait a minute Hot 🔑

Increase that flashbar not to just maximize my domains

•••
Moving forward Rant topic should be pinned

•••
Finally had a chance to find these:
Those should not have been moved; our apologies. They've been moved back.

We will have a meeting internally to try to address these mistakes.

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention.

•••
Isn't the second link a discussion about the workings of Google Search, instead of 'general domain discussion' (talking about domain names)? I wouldn't quickly call it a mistake, but I also think that the structure of subcategories can be improved considerably, as I had already noted. Therein lies the cause, I think.

•••
Isn't the second link a discussion about the workings of Google Search, instead of 'general domain discussion' (talking about domain names)?
That's true. The thread appears to be seeking discussion around a popular data point for domains: Google search results. That can be confusing because if the data point was from Estibot, then we'd want to move it to Reviews.

The difference is that Google search results are so ubiquitous, similar to saying "Google it" instead of "Search it," that it feels wrong to classify that as a review as opposed to general information.

It could go either way, but one feels more sensible.

Thoughts?

•••
Last edited:
•••
If I understand @HotKey correctly, they simply want to share their contributions with the largest possible target group on the forum and choose the General Domain Discussion for this purpose, because this section has the largest reach. I can easily follow that thought. Any placement in a very specific subsection makes the posting less visible.

Last edited:
•••
That is solid of you guys to dig into and re-adjust, and many thanks. Appreciate also the support by the members.

I know with a million+ members there has to be some blanket rules but I honestly felt these cases were odd thus I called them out. There may come a time when us as a community won't the enjoy the privilege to interreact directly with moderators but I hope this is one feature NP never does away with, when there is an opportunity to address the small things and maybe fix them I think there is still hope for the bigger picture.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back