NameSilo

Is there a "boys club" in the domain community?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is there a "boys club" in the domain community?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    60.9%
  • No

votes
    39.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
A recent article by a domain blogger spoke about this subject, but failed to provide clarity.
First he said, "But there was one big difference between me and all these people that claim that there is a “Boys Club” in domaining that doesn’t include everyone."......This quote implies that there is no "boys club" as some people have claimed...

And then he says, "You aren’t invited to the “boys club” not because you are a new investor or not good enough.".........This quote implies there is a "boys club" and even goes on to state you must be invited.

You can read more here:https://www.namepros.com/threads/shane-cultra-when-i-first-started-out.990951/#post-5897509

So which is it?...Is there a "boys club" in the domain community?......

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The beauty of a "boys club" is they eventually get old, ugly, and content.

And then someone new eats their cake!

bon appétit

•••
There is one right here on the forum...interestingly enough the founders started domaining not long ago and have already quit. Isn't life awesome?

On a side note I think it would be about time to stop judging a persona based on how long they have been on the forum for as if one becomes a domainer ONLY after he/she joined NP.

There are younger members who are much more professional, honest, reliable and better human beings than others who joined when the dinosaurs were still around. The opposite is also true.

•••
As for Domain Boardroom. I was kicked out for ... there are more successful domain investors kicked out of the forum than still in it so I am in good company.

Maybe you should start a new club fo rthose booted out from Domain Boardroom .. I highly suggest the following domain for it Ex-DBR.Club (I'm pretty sure it's a non-premium so won't cost you too much $$$).

PS .. What the heck is Domain Boardroom? lol
PSS .. I only ask so that I can join and then get kicked out to join your ex-boardroom member club! ;)

•••
Seriously speaking though .. let's start by removing the sexist portion of this discussion .. by "Is there a Boy's Club" I'm assuming the question is more "Are there secret groups of domainers privately working together"?

I'm pretty new to the full domaining part of the business (I've owned domains for years .. but previously with the intention of developing them). Sometimes I think it would be great to have partner(s) so I wouldn't have to spend 3-4 hours a night trolling through lists. but on the other hand there is the trust factor as well as the complicated issue of how to split work/profits/etc.

As Shane mentioned above, I think some of it is natural .. as you get to know your peers more and more you'll naturally form friendships and alliances. For the most part I'd have no issue with this ... where it could potentially cross the line is unethical stuff like driving up auctions or writing positive comments that aren't entirely representative of what you truly think of a domain.

But I think the reality is that there is a lot of room in the domain industry for many people to have their own niches. Not meaning that there are enough niches for everyone to have their own .. but more that within a smaller group of 3-5 domainers, you're likely to each have your own speciality (different price ranges, coms vs non-com, acronyms vs brandibles vs key-term, different regions, etc etc) and not naturally find yourself competing too much. When that happens then you're more likely to help your peers for their particular niche. Like someone who has no interest in gardening but knows @Domain Shane, might contact him when they see a plant domain about to go on auction.

I'd think in the domain industry that could go a long way if you find someone with similar purchasing interests as you ... instead of fighting for the same domains in auction and driving up the prices, you'd be able to get domains for much cheaper ... which can really make a huge difference as a huge chunk of the profit in domaining is made on the buy.

My actual concerns are more a level higher of "secret clubs" .. possible strategic business alliances like let's say GoDaddy (or any registrar with an aftermarket) sells my searches to a 3rd party (or even a possible staffer stealing the data and selling it black market style). Or any of the tools as well could do that. Let's say I run domains I'm looking at buying through one of them .. how can we truly know the staff aren't looking at those domains as well and cherry picking the best ones to eventually compete with you in auction or grab them first.

Actually .. it doesn't even have to be aftermarket .. even hand-reg searches are logged. And while a registrar might have strict rules for keeping information and data private, data is VERY easy to copy/steal internally from a rogue employee working with an outside partner(s). Looking at some of the threads in this forum there are certainly people who believe this sort of information is being stolen and used .. but the unfortunate truth is that because it's all digital, that it's almost impossible to prove either way.

So at the end of the day .. much more important and relevant than whether or not you think there are private groups working together .. you really should have defined what exactly you meant by "Boy's Club". That term is too broad and open ended .. which is why you're seeing such huge disagreements in this thread .. because different people are actually talking about their own different definitions of what they personally see as a "Boy's Club".

Anyhow .. on that note .. please nobody grab this domain before I register it ...
https://ca.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?domainToCheck=boyz.club

;)

Last edited:
•••
Seriously speaking though .. let's start by removing the sexist portion of this discussion .. by "Is there a Boy's Club" I'm assuming the question is more "Are there secret groups of domainers privately working together"?

I'm pretty new to the full domaining part of the business (I've owned domains for years .. but previously with the intention of developing them). Sometimes I think it would be great to have partner(s) so I wouldn't have to spend 3-4 hours a night trolling through lists. but on the other hand there is the trust factor as well as the complicated issue of how to split work/profits/etc.

As Shane mentioned above, I think some of it is natural .. as you get to know your peers more and more you'll naturally form friendships and alliances. For the most part I'd have no issue with this ... where it could potentially cross the line is unethical stuff like driving up auctions or writing positive comments that aren't entirely representative of what you truly think of a domain.

But I think the reality is that there is a lot of room in the domain industry for many people to have their own niches. Not meaning that there are enough niches for everyone to have their own .. but more that within a smaller group of 3-5 domainers, you're likely to each have your own speciality (different price ranges, coms vs non-com, acronyms vs brandibles vs key-term, different regions, etc etc) and not naturally find yourself competing too much. When that happens then you're more likely to help your peers for their particular niche. Like someone who has no interest in gardening but knows @Domain Shane, might contact him when they see a plant domain about to go on auction.

I'd think in the domain industry that could go a long way if you find someone with similar purchasing interests as you ... instead of fighting for the same domains in auction and driving up the prices, you'd be able to get domains for much cheaper ... which can really make a huge difference as a huge chunk of the profit in domaining is made on the buy.

My actual concerns are more a level higher of "secret clubs" .. possible strategic business alliances like let's say GoDaddy (or any registrar with an aftermarket) sells my searches to a 3rd party (or even a possible staffer stealing the data and selling it black market style). Or any of the tools as well could do that. Let's say I run domains I'm looking at buying through one of them .. how can we truly know the staff aren't looking at those domains as well and cherry picking the best ones to eventually compete with you in auction or grab them first.

Actually .. it doesn't even have to be aftermarket .. even hand-reg searches are logged. And while a registrar might have strict rules for keeping information and data private, data is VERY easy to copy/steal internally from a rogue employee working with an outside partner(s). Looking at some of the threads in this forum there are certainly people who believe this sort of information is being stolen and used .. but the unfortunate truth is that because it's all digital, that it's almost impossible to prove either way.

So at the end of the day .. much more important and relevant than whether or not you think there are private groups working together .. you really should have defined what exactly you meant by "Boy's Club". That term is too broad and open ended .. which is why you're seeing such huge disagreements in this thread .. because different people are actually talking about their own different definitions of what they personally see as a "Boy's Club".

Anyhow .. on that note .. please nobody grab this domain before I register it ...
https://ca.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?domainToCheck=boyz.club

;)
Agreed, the term is broad and open ended...The term has many meanings at different times in history and in different locations. However one thing consistent is "cronyism"....

•••
A dose of tough love:

Business is about relationships (professional and casual) and competitive advantages. If you can't accept that, or you can't properly navigate that, then you don't belong in any business, including the domain business.

I know it's hard to hear, but it's the truth. It's been that way since trade first existed, and it will always be that way. Why? Because humans are inherently social: we have a basic psychological need to feel closely connected to others, in all aspects of our lives. Then, the boundaries between people in relationships break down over time, and people begin to think of their own fate as intertwined with the fate of others. This is fundamental human psychology.

Either accept it and learn how to navigate it, or go to a 9-to-5 job and deal with workplace politics where you don't get a choice of whom you surround yourself each day, and you get to report to your discriminatory boss.

I choose business. You?

•••
A dose of tough love:

Business is about relationships (professional and casual) and competitive advantages. If you can't accept that, or you can't properly navigate that, then you don't belong in any business, including the domain business.

I know it's hard to hear, but it's the truth. It's been that way since trade first existed, and it will always be that way. Why? Because humans are inherently social: we have a basic psychological need to feel closely connected to others, in all aspects of our lives. Then, the boundaries between people in relationships break down over time, and people begin to think of their own fate as intertwined with the fate of others. This is fundamental human psychology.

Either accept it and learn how to navigate it, or go to a 9-to-5 job and deal with workplace politics where you don't get a choice of whom you surround yourself each day, and you get to report to your discriminatory boss.

I choose business. You?
The content of this thread was not meant to be about relationships, which are natural and needed in life...The content of the question was meant to more or less address the "cronyism" part of the domain community. As mentioned above, the definition of "boys club" should have been defined. My bad.

•••
As for Domain Boardroom. I was kicked out for sharing something very inconsequential (and I can't even remember what it was) that was posted in the forum. I didn't realize something that small would count as an infraction. Rules are rules and I was kicked out for it..

First Rule of Domainers Club is: You DO NOT talk about Domainers Club!

•••
Hahahaha....and they wonder how the term "secret domain society" came about.:muted:

•••
Hahahaha....and they wonder how the term "secret domain society" came about.:muted:
There's no wondering, it came straight from 'you' and your postings last year. No one has or was using that term, but 'you'. Hence you used Shane's blog posting, of encouraging others to network to not feel left out, as an excuse to start this thread and re-bring up all this up again. :xf.rolleyes:

Last edited:
•••
There's no wondering, it came straight from 'you' and your postings last year. No one has or was using that term, but 'you'. Hence you used Shane's blog posting, of encouraging others to network to not feel left out, as an excuse to start this thread and re-bring up all this up again. :xf.rolleyes:
Lets clear this up now. I did not coin the term as you seem to believe, it was a post in a blog in 2014.......I don't know what I have done to you for you to continue attacking me....If you belong to a good club or have friendly relationships you would have no problem with this conversation, but clearly that is not the case..... If you had good intentions you would be welcoming and not attacking. You would encourage open honest communication instead of putting down those that disagree with you. Your words are direct proof of the cronyism that exists in the domain community and the lengths you and your group will go to silence and put fear in those that speak...I know because I have gotten backlash, at the same time I have gotten support.... Thank you for proving my point...Meanwhile, try to love more, especially at this time of year. Try to release your hatred, life will become more peaceful and you will do more positive things......I hope you can find peace with yourself. Enjoy the joyous season that is a gift to us.

•••
•••
The content of this thread was not meant to be about relationships, which are natural and needed in life...The content of the question was meant to more or less address the "cronyism" part of the domain community. As mentioned above, the definition of "boys club" should have been defined. My bad.
Right. That's what I responded to:

cronyism n. Favoritism shown to old friends without regard for their qualifications, as in political appointments to office.

My post wasn't directed at you. It's for those complaining about a "club" of people: the hard truth.

•••
Go to namescon after party it's a boys club NO Women:xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek:

•••
•••
Might as well been a pajama party

•••
Find the buying groups and join the club.

•••
•••
OK - next question - is there a girls club? and can I be an honorary member?

Yes and No.
Or No and Yes.
I can never remember.
Either way you all are invited. We wear pajamas on Fridays.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back