Domain Empire

Is there a "boys club" in the domain community?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is there a "boys club" in the domain community?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    60.9%
  • No

votes
    39.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
A recent article by a domain blogger spoke about this subject, but failed to provide clarity.
First he said, "But there was one big difference between me and all these people that claim that there is a “Boys Club” in domaining that doesn’t include everyone."......This quote implies that there is no "boys club" as some people have claimed...

And then he says, "You aren’t invited to the “boys club” not because you are a new investor or not good enough.".........This quote implies there is a "boys club" and even goes on to state you must be invited.

You can read more here:https://www.namepros.com/threads/shane-cultra-when-i-first-started-out.990951/#post-5897509

So which is it?...Is there a "boys club" in the domain community?......

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Of course there's a domain boys club which is actually ran by a woman and you can be a member of the club by invite only. Domain Boardroom. Link to site not working properly.

Domain Shane was invited in and then kicked out of it shortly after. I don't think he deserved to be kicked out but those are the type of things that happen in a domain boys club. I don't remember the exact details so he can explain it better than me.

This is just one but there are many clubs just like this without the official title.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
hmm...interesting..
Hawkeye, I was referring to the the domain "boys club" or the "secret domain society" as being against my morals. I have absolutely no problem with some of the wording you quoted, when done in a sincere honest manner...Don't spin it, I know you are trying hard, but don't spin it into something else....Enjoy your club or secret domain society or whatever you choose to call it....

•••
Of course there's a domain boys club which is actually ran by a woman and you can be a member of the club by invite only. Domain Boardroom. Link to site not working properly.

Domain Shane was invited in and then kicked out of it shortly after. I don't think he deserved to be kicked out but those are the type of things that happen in a domain boys club. I don't remember the exact details so he can explain it better than me.

This is just one but there are many clubs just like this without the official title.
I believe he was kicked out for revealing some of the "secrets" that were not supposed to be talked about publicly and therefore he had to walk the plank....He may be back in, but we wouldn't know because it is secret.....

•••
Hawkeye, I was referring to the the domain "boys club" or the "secret domain society" as being against my morals. I have absolutely no problem with some of the wording you quoted, when done in a sincere honest manner...Don't spin it, I know you are trying hard, but don't spin it into something else....Enjoy your club or secret domain society or whatever you choose to call it....
Aaron, I just quoted and posted what you wrote, no spin, spinning or anything else. So don't go pinning me as saying or implying anything other than such. And I've never called or named any group anything. But you have/did in the past. "..and that's the truth!"

•••
Aaron, I just quoted and posted what you wrote, no spin, spinning or anything else. So don't go pinning me as saying or implying anything other than such. And I've never called or named any group anything. But you have/did in the past. "..and that's the truth!"
You did not quote the last point," #6 Earn entry into the club.".............In that regard you left out the most important part. For whatever reason you purposely deleted that important point to make it appear as if I am against the first 5 points, which I am not. ....That was the spin I was referring to. You must be a dedicated member to be so defensive. Curious to know how you have contributed to the domain community in a positive way?

•••
No, you don't...
Like I said Hawkeye I don't remember the exact details but they were discussed on his blog or on Sherpa or something. So, again, like I said I don't remember the exact details. You may have added details that I don't know about but the ones I do know about I can't remember exactly. Hence the comment, I don't remember the exact details!

•••
You did not quote the last point..
But I did note 5 outta 6!! I guess we all here are supposed to know 'which' point of 6 that you quote, is the one you were referring to. ..good grief.
Not sure what constitutes being a 'dedicated member' to be able to quote your posts here.
I contributed the noting of 5 points you feel/felt were against your...uh..morals. :xf.rolleyes:

•••
But I did note 5 outta 6!! I guess we all here are supposed to know 'which' point of 6 that you quote, is the one you were referring to. ..good grief.
Not sure what constitutes being a 'dedicated member' to be able to quote your posts here.
I contributed the noting of 5 points you feel/felt were against your...uh..morals. :xf.rolleyes:
Sure, I could of worded it better. You got me on that...If you are going to quote me, 5 out of 6 could have been worded better as well....In that regard we are both guilty of non clarity...If you need more clarity still just let me know...

•••
.If you need more clarity still just let me know
I'm sure you'll post something that'll need such.

And I'm not guilty of anything. Quoting 5 out of 6 of your referenced points, is a lot better than 'guess which 1 of 6 I'm referring to' expected justification.

•••
I'm sure you'll post something that'll need such.

And I'm not guilty of anything. Quoting 5 out of 6 of your referenced points, is a lot better than 'guess which 1 of 6 I'm referring to' expected justification.
You have a hard time getting over things don't you?.......Speaking of clarity you have nearly 3600 messages and only 1200 likes, since 2006, this tells me you either have a clarity issue or you are not liked much. Which is it?

•••
lol Hawkeye a very long tip top member here, dont judge by the new version of likes system.

•••
Getting 'likes' here for simply posting 'Welcome to the forum' or any of the multitudes of nonsensical reasons for why people do so, is not a high priority or defining need for me. People get hundreds of 'likes' just for saying they joined here. But obviously for people like you, they are an important justification for... well something.

•••
Getting 'likes' here for simply posting 'Welcome to the forum' or any of the multitudes of nonsensical reasons for why people do so, is not a high priority or defining need for me. People get hundreds of 'likes' just for saying they joined here. But obviously for people like you, they are an important justification for... well something.
Kevin, somewhere in this thread you took something personal. My original post was not meant to be personal towards anyone, that was not my intention. Please catch some fresh air, smell the air after a nice rainfall and appreciate the time of year. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to you!

•••
Whether it came across properly or not what I meant to say is that most of the "clubs" that most people perceive are a bunch of people that have known each other for years. They have been to dozens of conferences together and are genuinely friends now. To someone who doesn't know these people personally may feel like they are an outsider when in reality its just a matter of time until you two will have your own group of friends within the industry. Some of which will probably include people from the group you felt an outsider to. Everyone has their group. You can just physically see it at the conferences.

As for Domain Boardroom. I was kicked out for sharing something very inconsequential (and I can't even remember what it was) that was posted in the forum. I didn't realize something that small would count as an infraction. Rules are rules and I was kicked out for it. I got upset because I received no warning. One mistake and I was out. Turns out that there are more successful domain investors kicked out of the forum than still in it so I am in good company.

•••
A recent article by a domain blogger spoke about this subject, but failed to provide clarity.
First he said, "But there was one big difference between me and all these people that claim that there is a “Boys Club” in domaining that doesn’t include everyone."......This quote implies that there is no "boys club" as some people have claimed...

And then he says, "You aren’t invited to the “boys club” not because you are a new investor or not good enough.".........This quote implies there is a "boys club" and even goes on to state you must be invited.

You can read more here:https://www.namepros.com/threads/shane-cultra-when-i-first-started-out.990951/#post-5897509

So which is it?...Is there a "boys club" in the domain community?......

Sorry I was confusing. I only have so much time to get my ideas out into text and some times they ramble. Synopsis. No boys club, just groups of old friends. No invitation needed to join conversations or groups, just a handshake and an introduction. Time and good conversation seems to be the only requirements to making friends in the industry.

•••
Sorry I was confusing. I only have so much time to get my ideas out into text and some times they ramble. Synopsis. No boys club, just groups of old friends. No invitation needed to join conversations or groups, just a handshake and an introduction. Time and good conversation seems to be the only requirements to making friends in the industry.
Thanks Shane!...I hope you voted on the poll...:xf.grin:

•••
People form relationships in different ways. It could be conversing via email/phone, meeting at a conference, partnering on domain deals, completing a transaction together...

Yes, people get familiar with others that float in the same pool. Becoming friends is a different story.

•••
People form relationships in different ways. It could be conversing via email/phone, meeting at a conference, partnering on domain deals, completing a transaction together...

Yes, people get familiar with others that float in the same pool. Becoming friends is a different story.
You just described business. Knowing them for years and knowing how they fit into your business world is a bit different. There are dozens of people that visit each other at their homes. There was a big group that got together in Panama and took vacation together.

•••
You just described business. Knowing them for years and knowing how they fit into your business world is a bit different. There are dozens of people that visit each other at their homes. There was a big group that got together in Panama and took vacation together.
Physical meetings outside of the domain world are certainly on a friendly level.

•••
Of course there is a boys club in any industry - the employees. Above them is another boys club - the leaders of corporations. And above all is the last boys club - the masons.

They have the power, but they are few, and we are many. And we can speak. If all the people would unite against them, they would have no power. So FIGHT against them. Report any injustice, help the people who are mistreated.

Make a better world and RULE it.

Last edited:
•••
Of course there is a boys club in any industry - the employees. Above them is another boys club - the leaders of corporations. And above all is the last boys club - the masons.

They have the power, but they are few, and we are many. And we can speak. If all the people would unite against them, they would have no power. So FIGHT against them. Report any injustice, help the people who are mistreated.

Make a better world and RULE it.

"Make Domaining Great Again" :xf.grin:

•••
This is just like any other job, when you are the new guy nobody knows or trusts you. I have been in the tech industry for years and in my area there are people that we all know from other companies and share information. We don't bring in new people we don't trust, that's just common sense. The same applies here. I am not young but I am newer to this game. When someone approaches me I am respectful and listen. I ask questions but I don't try to act like I am with the "in" crowd, I am not. Outside of here I have sold some expensive domains to industry leaders with NDA's and I stick to those. Now I am starting a small network and can ask questions. I have some people, like an awesome guy in England who really helps me, he doesn't have to do that but I built a relationship and thank him all the time.
Build and foster relationships, you may have to give up a domain at a lesser price as admission as long as your not losing money. Don't act like a know it all dick. Just be nice, take advice and be respectful. You cant replace years worth of trust between these guys in a day.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back