Domain Empire

Is Pheenix Still Alive?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Pheenix used to be the bride of block.

Since they embarked on an upgrade, they hardly got anything caught these days when compared to their earlier days.

Is anyone experiencing same?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
2 backordered at Pheenix/Dynadot. 0 won. Don't recognize the registrars.

•••
I have been using the desktop catch software for a few months. Also, I think that you can get a code pretty easily making it only a $100 purchase. Anyway, DTC works well if you aren't going for top tier names. It just can't compete with those and makes no claim to be able to. But there are still lots of second tier names that are worth catching. I use it on weekends so i can be present, but it can run unattended with a built in scheduler. over all its a great piece of software and well worth the investment. Support is top notch.

One thing to consider with the software that I hadn't. You will need to establish an API account at different registrars. the more you do, the better your chances. I'd say the DTC product supports like 10 or a dozen accounts. At each account you will need to make a deposit and prepay for your domains. Most only need like $25, but a couple need more. But even at $25, that's an extra $250 you need to have for deposits before you can get busy catching. Something to remember and budget for.

Thanks for the info Cocaseco. Can you give a few examples of the domains you have caught with DTCatcher please ?

Best,
Paul

•••
2 backorders today at Dynadot/Pheenix. Result Pheenix 2 Dynadot 0. Since I started reporting like this it's been all one way traffic. So in answer to the OP's original question. Yes there is still life in Pheenix at the moment. Remember though, I'm not reporting DropCatch/SnapNames quality of domains, but good domains all the same.

•••
I had 4 today at pheenix. Caught 1 and it was multiple bidders, so another private auction.

•••
2 2nd tier names each ordered at pheenix and dynadot.

Snapnames caught both....

•••
I picked up a LNL.com with Pheenix a couple weeks back -- had I want to say 15-20 bidders in a private auction. So it can still grab tier 1 names, but I'd say it probably gets 1-5% of those names compared to the big players.

•••
2 domains backordered today at Pheenix/Dynadot. Result: 1 Pheenix 1 Dynadot. So Dynadot not dead yet either. Although Pheenix has grabbed most of the captures over the last week. Actually, today's results surprised me a bit. I thought the Pheenix capture would have been taken by Dynadot, and the Dynadot capture would have been taken by DropCatch. But anyhow. I think I've shown with these posts that Pheenix isn't dead at capturing, and that it is still worthwhile backordering at both Pheenix and Dynadot. So no more posts needed on this subject of backordering at Pheenix/Dynadot.

•••
Catching the names might not be the end of it. Domainers shoud be more worried about keeping what they catch.

Granted I was late paying for some drops they caught but when I discovered the situation I went in and did pay for them. But they still wont hand over the names. Not only that they took all my other names from the account (except 1). The owner is well known for being a domainer.

Use this "company" at your peril.

•••
@gr8trfoo - Which company are your commenting on? Which owner is well known for being a domainer? Are you saying they took all your domains except one, which all had nothing to do with your late payments? They were all bought and paid for? How many domains did the take? As far as I know you cannot pay late for auction wins? Actually. I'm quite confused by your post? What does the company involved say?

•••
pheenix.

about a dozen fully paid names. maybe 20 drop caught that i was late in paying. but they did accept the late payment.

just really sad. dont know why companies think they can get away with this kinda crap

•••
the issue has been settled satisfactorily. many thanks to gorrila_bob for swiftly making it right.

•••
After about 50 unsuccessful backorders with Pheenix, they finally caught 1 (out of 4) domain for me yesterday! One other bidder, so it entered into a private auction.

I usually just use Pheenix for lower quality names, but it’s hard to catch even second-tier names without backorders elsewhere, since they all seem to get caught by DC for Huge Domains. Their automatic BO filter/algorithm is able to detect almost anything worth grabbing (and lots of stuff not worth registering too).

Recently started placing all Pheenix orders at DynaDot too, but havent caught any domains there yet.

•••
I think that 'don't put all your eggs in one basket' applies to DCing. Use more than one drop catcher for an 'average domain'.

My thoughts are that you can (maybe) catch 1 in 10 on a good day.

Best,
Paul

•••
Pheenix has caught 3 I have backordered in the last couple of days.

One today that surprised me. I'd backordered it at Dynadot, Snapnames, Namejet and Pheenix and Pheenix caught it.

Unfortunately, I am still going to have to compete for the name today, as there are 20 of us in a private auction now.

•••
In my experience Pheenix catching ability has decreased over the past months and I am not seeing any sign of positive change.
A month or so ago I have sent them an email asking what was going on as they haven't been able to catch anything and they replied they were adjusting their system ( or something like that ) and that I should have seen improvements in the following weeks. Basically the same reply they have given to anyone who wrote them an email in the past 6 months.

I haven't been backordering much with them lately but what I backordered hasn't been caught.

•••

One today that surprised me. I'd backordered it at Dynadot, Snapnames, Namejet and Pheenix and Pheenix caught it.

Unfortunately, I am still going to have to compete for the name today, as there are 20 of us in a private auction now.
lol I know the name...

•••

Not sure if it's the same name, but out of my 3 backorders with Pheenix yesterday, they caught the one I was least expecting (since it got a lot of orders at NJ and elsewhere before closing). 24 other bidders at Pheenix. One other backorder got caught by SnapNames, while the last got caught by myorderbox.com.

•••
Pheenix is still alive.
Yesterday it caught a premium 2 word .com domain and it went to auction.
Today it caught a good generic single word .com domain(also went to auction) which had many backorders at Namejet.

Success rate 2 out of 2 for me in only a couple of days.
It seems they improved their systems.

•••
Pheenix is still alive.
Yesterday it caught a premium 2 word .com domain and it went to auction.
Today it caught a good generic single word .com domain(also went to auction) which had many backorders at Namejet.

Success rate 2 out of 2 for me in only a couple of days.
It seems they improved their systems.
I know the two domains you are talking about. I guess this thread may have done a magic as the news may have gotten to them. Impressive!

•••
In case you don't see the email:

1. - 500% increase in domain registrars.
Yes that’s right. We have increased the number of registrars that we use to backorder domain names by 500%!
More registrars means we are catching a ton of more great domains for you.

2. - New Super Saver pricing plan.
Besides our ‘Gold’ backorders that you have come to love and enjoy, we now have a new domain backordering pricing plan: Super Saver backorders.
Super Saver backorders allow you to pay for backorders at a reduced price point of $13.99/domain. Keep in mind that Gold backorders take priority over a Super Saver backorder.. so for example if one customer has a Gold backorder and another has a Super Saver backorder on it, then the customer with the Gold backorder will win the domain.
Super Saver backorders gives a great option for customers who backorder domains that have little to no competition or for domains with a lower price point in value.
In order to qualify to add Super Saver backorders, you need to have at least 1000 Pheenix Points in your account.

3. - New pricing for ‘Gold’ backorders.
Beginning September 15, 2015, pricing for Gold backorders for com/net/org will increase to $21.99. This is substantially lower than our competitors pricing which is more than double our price.
We continue to offer great value for our customers.

•••
Nope. I never saw that email. I wondered what was going on with all those new backorder boxes in their control panel.

•••
Pheenix.com becomes Phoenix, rises from the dead. :)

Ok, seems like Pheenix.com was upto something all this times when backorders weren't working there and they had sort of dropped dead.

As per their email, these are the highlights:

1) 500% Increase in Domain Registrars
>> That's like 5x the registrars, so we hope to see some good work capturing dropping names. Let's see where they end up eventually as compared to DropCatch.com since that is the dropcatch leader for now.

2) New Super Saver Pricing Plan
>> On lines of DropCatch.com discount club, they have introduced this @ $13.99/domain, with the regular "GOLD" backorders always superceding this Super Saver Plan.

3) New Pricing for ‘Gold’ Backorders
>> From 15/Sep/2015, They will hike the regular backorder from $18.95 to $21.99 which is completely acceptable IMO.

So, hoping to start catching some domains again with the Pheenix.

Here is the original email:

Dear Friend,

It’s been a long time since we have last given you an update on Pheenix. We’ve been quietly working hard to make Pheenix the best Domain Backordering Platform on the planet!

Here are some great new things that we have just completed.

1.500% increase in domain registrars.

Yes that’s right. We have increased the number of registrars that we use to backorder domain names by 500%!

More registrars means we are catching a ton of more great domains for you.

2.New Super Saver pricing plan.

Besides our ‘Gold’ backorders that you have come to love and enjoy, we now have a new domain backordering pricing plan: Super Saver backorders.

Super Saver backorders allow you to pay for backorders at a reduced price point of $13.99/domain. Keep in mind that Gold backorders take priority over a Super Saver backorder.. so for example if one customer has a Gold backorder and another has a Super Saver backorder on it, then the customer with the Gold backorder will win the domain.

Super Saver backorders gives a great option for customers who backorder domains that have little to no competition or for domains with a lower price point in value.

In order to qualify to add Super Saver backorders, you need to have at least 1000 Pheenix Points in your account.

3.New pricing for ‘Gold’ backorders.

Beginning September 15, 2015, pricing for Gold backorders for com/net/org will increase to $21.99. This is substantially lower than our competitors pricing which is more than double our price.

We continue to offer great value for our customers.

Thanks for being a great customer and we’ll have more good news coming very soon.

Tan Tran
CEO Pheenix, Inc.

•••
@GoWebnames.com

Indeed, they are getting better. They captured Chivalry.com from the last drop and a few other great names from the few last drops. Let's see how it goes the next days. :)

•••
@GoWebnames.com

Indeed, they are getting better. They captured Chivalry.com from the last drop and a few other great names from the few last drops. Let's see how it goes the next days. :)

That's a good grab. So, what next? Is it DropCatch.com turn now to add 500+ registrars!!?? :)

•••
@GoWebnames.com

I believe that covert operations have started before Pheenix published this update. Competitor agents are leveraging the reconnaissance data in order to stay ahead of their game.

It has always been a tough competition between the backordering industry kingpins. Who will win? Time and results will show.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back