IT.COM

Is Pheenix Still Alive?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Pheenix used to be the bride of block.

Since they embarked on an upgrade, they hardly got anything caught these days when compared to their earlier days.

Is anyone experiencing same?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Out of the backorders I did in the last few weeks Godaddy actually beat phenix and dynadot both on several occasions. Pheenix used to beat snapnames, and dynadot was a solid place to backorder but these days they barely catch anything. I do not know how the b/o system and software works but something is very wrong with their sniping capabilities when Godaddy beats them for almost every domain name. The names I am ordering are far from premium. I barely spend a $ with them any more, they have become my "just in case" places to backorder.

•••
Who captured your domains?
This is what I get from the who is info.

Bigrock
Rally cry domains
DIGGITYDOT, LLC (this site caught a few)
NIUEDOMAINS, LLC
Puritynames
Name.com

•••
I liked Pheenix from the start. They had caught a few nice names that I was able to sell for $x,xxx. For example, Acertified.com, which I sold for $2500 and OneTower.com for $4000, but I caught those many months ago.

Lately, I have backordered even 8 or 10 names at once at Pheenix and the results are very poor. DropCatch usually catches them all. But I don't like the fact that DropCatch backorders go to publlic auction, which ends up costing you too much...

Last edited:
•••
Infosec, that's why I stay away from dropcatch. I would prefer snapnames to them anyday anytime.

•••
I have 5 with Pheenix right now. I do like the fact that there is none of this auction business going on. You either win or you don't.

IMO put in twenty with Pheenix and you may win one. Personally I like the site and find it every easy to use.

If you want to drop catch a domain that is not 'tops' then it serves a purpose. If you see a very good domain then put it with more than one drop catcher. The problem is of course that everyone else is doing this and you pay a premium if it goes to auction.

Best,
Paul

•••
@Paul123

A couple of observations. To be clear, if more than one person backorders the same name at Pheenix, they do go to a private auction. Second, last time I checked, you can only order 10 names per day at Pheenix. If you need to backorder more than 10, you need to get their approval.

•••
@Paul123

A couple of observations. To be clear, if more than one person backorders the same name at Pheenix, they do go to a private auction. Second, last time I checked, you can only order 10 names per day at Pheenix. If you need to backorder more than 10, you need to get their approval.

OK infosec. You could well be right. However as far as I am aware if you order a DC with Pheenix the domain will not go to auction if you win. This for me is the attraction of using the service. This certainly used to be the case.

Best,
Paul

Last edited:
•••
OK infosec. You could well be right. However as far as I am aware if you order a DC with Pheenix the domain will not to auction if you win. This for me is the attraction of using the service. This certainly used to be the case.

Best,
Paul
when they first started there were no auctions but 6 months or so later they started having auctions when multiple people backorder a domain.

•••
What a shame. Are there any half decent DCers out there that don't do this ?

Best,
Paul

•••
•••
@jideofor - From my memory Pheenix used to beat SnapNames sometimes. Not all the time. They do still beat SnapNames on quite rare occasions (from what I've seen on NP). But it seems to be a rarity these days.

•••
What a shame. Are there any half decent DCers out there that don't do this ?

Could you please expand your post? Don't do what?

•••
Lately, I have backordered even 8 or 10 names at once at Pheenix and the results are very poor. DropCatch usually catches them all. But I don't like the fact that DropCatch backorders go to publlic auction, which ends up costing you too much...

Almost all the domains caught by DropCatch are caught on behalf of HugeDomains, which never see the DropCatch Auctions. Do you ever look at the domains on auction at DropCatch? Most of them I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole. For me the quality is quite poor overall. What this says to me is that many dropcatching domainers are shying away from placing backorders at DropCatch because of their public auctions of all caught domains. Continuing that thought. This is a self-defeating strategy. Because what it means is DropCatch is catching these domains anyway and they are all going into the Huge Domains portfolio. I have some empirical evidence which suggests this is happening. I have dropped a lot (hundreds) of what I thought were poor-to-decent domains (with the view of trimming my portfolio) over the last few months. Approx 30% (presumably the better ones) have gone into the coffers of Huge Domains.

•••
Could you please expand your post? Don't do what?

That don't run auctions. Only one person can back order a domain so if it's 'caught' it's yours.

Best,
Paul

•••
That don't run auctions. Only one person can back order a domain so if it's 'caught' it's yours.

Unfortunately it's not really commercially viable to do this. There are definitely services out there where only one backorder is taken, but these are for consumers and not for domainers. If a backorder service with an auction process even had one interested party it would be quicker every time.

Flat-fee backorder services have certainly existed but they all eventually realise they only make money if they run auctions. It sucks but it's the way it is.

Best bet if you're not going for competitive backorders is to use something like DesktopCatcher. It's probably going to be quicker than any of the non-auction backorders. Unfortunately if you want a fast backorder it has to be via an auction platform.

•••
Unfortunately it's not really commercially viable to do this. There are definitely services out there where only one backorder is taken, but these are for consumers and not for domainers. If a backorder service with an auction process even had one interested party it would be quicker every time.

Flat-fee backorder services have certainly existed but they all eventually realise they only make money if they run auctions. It sucks but it's the way it is.

Best bet if you're not going for competitive backorders is to use something like DesktopCatcher. It's probably going to be quicker than any of the non-auction backorders. Unfortunately if you want a fast backorder it has to be via an auction platform.

Thanks for the tip JRayers. I had a look at DesktopCatcher and it looks interesting. Have you personally had any experience of this type of software ? I assume it only has a limited success rate ? I would be interested to hear from other members if they have used this type of service before I part with my 200 bucks.

Best,
Paul

•••
Thanks for the tip JRayers. I had a look at DesktopCatcher and it looks interesting. Have you personally had any experience of this type of software ? I assume it only has a limited success rate ? I would be interested to hear from other members if they have used this type of service before I part with my 200 bucks.

Im curious to know too.

•••
•••
•••
•••
I backordered 3 domains yesterday.
Results:

Pheenix: 0
Dynadot: 0

BTW: dynadot shows revenue on the auctionlist. where does this data come from?

•••
As of right now, they suck pretty bad. No denying that.

But I just like to try my luck and put my orders in and say a little prayer that I hopefully land one. It doesn't hurt to just throw some domains you may not be crazy about and don't want to pay a Snapnames or Namejet higher price for but still nab it. They never charge initially. Only after they catch the domain for you.

Your odds are you aren't ganna get it. Heck, I even had GD backorder beat out a pheenix backorder the other day (and we all know how GD backorders are lol).

Like I said it doesn't hurt to try, it takes 10 seconds. I nabbed a name a few months back from Pheenix and sold it for $500.

So take the extra few seconds and place a backorder with them. Ya never know.

-Omar

P.S. Their customer service is pretty good also.

•••
But I don't like the fact that DropCatch backorders go to publlic auction, which ends up costing you too much...

Yep, which is why it doesn't make sense to place a Backorder with Dropcatch. If they wind up getting it, you can just jump on into the auction and make a bid.

-Omar

•••
I have been using the desktop catch software for a few months. Also, I think that you can get a code pretty easily making it only a $100 purchase. Anyway, DTC works well if you aren't going for top tier names. It just can't compete with those and makes no claim to be able to. But there are still lots of second tier names that are worth catching. I use it on weekends so i can be present, but it can run unattended with a built in scheduler. over all its a great piece of software and well worth the investment. Support is top notch.

One thing to consider with the software that I hadn't. You will need to establish an API account at different registrars. the more you do, the better your chances. I'd say the DTC product supports like 10 or a dozen accounts. At each account you will need to make a deposit and prepay for your domains. Most only need like $25, but a couple need more. But even at $25, that's an extra $250 you need to have for deposits before you can get busy catching. Something to remember and budget for.

•••
3 Backorders today

Pheenix: 2
Dynadot: 0

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back