Dynadot

Is Pheenix Still Alive?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Pheenix used to be the bride of block.

Since they embarked on an upgrade, they hardly got anything caught these days when compared to their earlier days.

Is anyone experiencing same?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Pheenix team. Thank you so much for the notice. You've made my day :)

Drop market became "unbalanced", thanks to DropCatch, and now, also according to iana website, Phoenix is being reborn:

www . iana . org/assignments/registrar-ids/registrar-ids.xhtml

shows at least 100 new registrars from "Pheenix 1, LLC" to "Pheenix 100, LLC", also "Tan Tran, LLC" (LOL) and some others which are likely yours!

Since setting productive catching scripts is not an obvious task by itself, and doing so for 100 registrars may not be the same as for 20 registrars, hope that your scripts will catch more and more domains, in particular those which otherwise would have been catched by HugeDomains/DropCatch for themseleves (not worth $59/$69 backorder fee).

But... for god's sake.... we all need PHEENIX working and stable. I've heard that in the past some other registrars were "kicked in the butt" by Verisign registry for not configuring their drop scripts correctly or otherwise not playing by the rules. Even though your new registrars are brand-new and fresh and as such could not yet receive a single complaint even technically - PLEASE, PLEASE configure them exactly in a way verisign wants you (and all other dropcatchers) to. Incorrect configuration may well be detected and soon. And we (your customers) need long-time stability in the first place!!!!

Thanks again, please keep up the good work!!!

•••
I backordered 4 domains today at both Pheenix and Dynadot. Results were

Pheenix 3
DropCatch 1
Dynadot 0

I have 4 more backordered over the next couple of days. I'll report on them also.

•••
I liked Pheenix from the start. They had caught a few nice names that I was able to sell for $x,xxx. For example, Acertified.com, which I sold for $2500 and OneTower.com for $4000, but I caught those many months ago.

Lately, I have backordered even 8 or 10 names at once at Pheenix and the results are very poor. DropCatch usually catches them all. But I don't like the fact that DropCatch backorders go to publlic auction, which ends up costing you too much...

Last edited:
•••
Lately, I have backordered even 8 or 10 names at once at Pheenix and the results are very poor. DropCatch usually catches them all. But I don't like the fact that DropCatch backorders go to publlic auction, which ends up costing you too much...

Almost all the domains caught by DropCatch are caught on behalf of HugeDomains, which never see the DropCatch Auctions. Do you ever look at the domains on auction at DropCatch? Most of them I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole. For me the quality is quite poor overall. What this says to me is that many dropcatching domainers are shying away from placing backorders at DropCatch because of their public auctions of all caught domains. Continuing that thought. This is a self-defeating strategy. Because what it means is DropCatch is catching these domains anyway and they are all going into the Huge Domains portfolio. I have some empirical evidence which suggests this is happening. I have dropped a lot (hundreds) of what I thought were poor-to-decent domains (with the view of trimming my portfolio) over the last few months. Approx 30% (presumably the better ones) have gone into the coffers of Huge Domains.

•••
•••
They are about equal too/worse than Dynadot, imho.

•••
They've been catching an odd one here and there for me. An auction I was in that ended today was a 4L .com - vcid.com - I'm sure it had competition elsewhere.

Not overly successful, but successful enough not to be ignored.

•••
I backordered about 5 names via pheenix few days before making this thread and they caught non

I think it is important to state who caught the domains. Not just that Pheenix didn't catch them. Pheenix cannot compete with the big drop-catchers, like DropCatch/SnapNames/NameJet. Or if other smaller drop-catchers caught them. For example if they were all caught by DropCatch, them you cannot really complain. But if they were all caught by Dynadot, then you could legitimately complain about them. Also, it is important to know if you backordered them somewhere else as well.

•••
That don't run auctions. Only one person can back order a domain so if it's 'caught' it's yours.

Unfortunately it's not really commercially viable to do this. There are definitely services out there where only one backorder is taken, but these are for consumers and not for domainers. If a backorder service with an auction process even had one interested party it would be quicker every time.

Flat-fee backorder services have certainly existed but they all eventually realise they only make money if they run auctions. It sucks but it's the way it is.

Best bet if you're not going for competitive backorders is to use something like DesktopCatcher. It's probably going to be quicker than any of the non-auction backorders. Unfortunately if you want a fast backorder it has to be via an auction platform.

•••
•••
I have been using the desktop catch software for a few months. Also, I think that you can get a code pretty easily making it only a $100 purchase. Anyway, DTC works well if you aren't going for top tier names. It just can't compete with those and makes no claim to be able to. But there are still lots of second tier names that are worth catching. I use it on weekends so i can be present, but it can run unattended with a built in scheduler. over all its a great piece of software and well worth the investment. Support is top notch.

One thing to consider with the software that I hadn't. You will need to establish an API account at different registrars. the more you do, the better your chances. I'd say the DTC product supports like 10 or a dozen accounts. At each account you will need to make a deposit and prepay for your domains. Most only need like $25, but a couple need more. But even at $25, that's an extra $250 you need to have for deposits before you can get busy catching. Something to remember and budget for.

•••
3 Backorders today

Pheenix: 2
Dynadot: 0

•••
I had 4 today at pheenix. Caught 1 and it was multiple bidders, so another private auction.

•••
In case you don't see the email:

1. - 500% increase in domain registrars.
Yes that’s right. We have increased the number of registrars that we use to backorder domain names by 500%!
More registrars means we are catching a ton of more great domains for you.

2. - New Super Saver pricing plan.
Besides our ‘Gold’ backorders that you have come to love and enjoy, we now have a new domain backordering pricing plan: Super Saver backorders.
Super Saver backorders allow you to pay for backorders at a reduced price point of $13.99/domain. Keep in mind that Gold backorders take priority over a Super Saver backorder.. so for example if one customer has a Gold backorder and another has a Super Saver backorder on it, then the customer with the Gold backorder will win the domain.
Super Saver backorders gives a great option for customers who backorder domains that have little to no competition or for domains with a lower price point in value.
In order to qualify to add Super Saver backorders, you need to have at least 1000 Pheenix Points in your account.

3. - New pricing for ‘Gold’ backorders.
Beginning September 15, 2015, pricing for Gold backorders for com/net/org will increase to $21.99. This is substantially lower than our competitors pricing which is more than double our price.
We continue to offer great value for our customers.

•••
Pheenix.com becomes Phoenix, rises from the dead. :)

Ok, seems like Pheenix.com was upto something all this times when backorders weren't working there and they had sort of dropped dead.

As per their email, these are the highlights:

1) 500% Increase in Domain Registrars
>> That's like 5x the registrars, so we hope to see some good work capturing dropping names. Let's see where they end up eventually as compared to DropCatch.com since that is the dropcatch leader for now.

2) New Super Saver Pricing Plan
>> On lines of DropCatch.com discount club, they have introduced this @ $13.99/domain, with the regular "GOLD" backorders always superceding this Super Saver Plan.

3) New Pricing for ‘Gold’ Backorders
>> From 15/Sep/2015, They will hike the regular backorder from $18.95 to $21.99 which is completely acceptable IMO.

So, hoping to start catching some domains again with the Pheenix.

Here is the original email:

Dear Friend,

It’s been a long time since we have last given you an update on Pheenix. We’ve been quietly working hard to make Pheenix the best Domain Backordering Platform on the planet!

Here are some great new things that we have just completed.

1.500% increase in domain registrars.

Yes that’s right. We have increased the number of registrars that we use to backorder domain names by 500%!

More registrars means we are catching a ton of more great domains for you.

2.New Super Saver pricing plan.

Besides our ‘Gold’ backorders that you have come to love and enjoy, we now have a new domain backordering pricing plan: Super Saver backorders.

Super Saver backorders allow you to pay for backorders at a reduced price point of $13.99/domain. Keep in mind that Gold backorders take priority over a Super Saver backorder.. so for example if one customer has a Gold backorder and another has a Super Saver backorder on it, then the customer with the Gold backorder will win the domain.

Super Saver backorders gives a great option for customers who backorder domains that have little to no competition or for domains with a lower price point in value.

In order to qualify to add Super Saver backorders, you need to have at least 1000 Pheenix Points in your account.

3.New pricing for ‘Gold’ backorders.

Beginning September 15, 2015, pricing for Gold backorders for com/net/org will increase to $21.99. This is substantially lower than our competitors pricing which is more than double our price.

We continue to offer great value for our customers.

Thanks for being a great customer and we’ll have more good news coming very soon.

Tan Tran
CEO Pheenix, Inc.

•••
•••
tried pheenix again. Caught a domain that I had also backordered with Dynadot today.

•••
•••
I have a few coming up in the next few days too. Dynadot is about as effective as Pheenix. If either of them win the domains, sometimes Dynadot wins, sometimes Pheenix. I would say the probably Dynadot wins but only by a fraction. Neither will generally catch a desirable domain.

•••
dynadot isnt catching much for me either.

Pheenix caught t/o/o/n/w/o/r/k/s.com today. There were multiple backorders (5 total) so i'm in a 3 day private auction.

I cant imagine no one placed backorders at snapnames, dropcatch or namejet for this name.

•••
dynadot isnt catching much for me either.

Pheenix caught t/o/o/n/w/o/r/k/s.com today. There were multiple backorders (5 total) so i'm in a 3 day private auction.

I cant imagine no one placed backorders at snapnames, dropcatch or namejet for this name.
congrats. I saw that name but ignored it. what I am inferring is that pheenix hardly caught solid names at present. It therefore means that they can't compete with heavy weights for names which other BO companies would battle for.

•••
Yep. I was surprised with my three also. You BO at Dynadot as well?

•••
Nope, no domains caught for me..

•••
Out of the backorders I did in the last few weeks Godaddy actually beat phenix and dynadot both on several occasions. Pheenix used to beat snapnames, and dynadot was a solid place to backorder but these days they barely catch anything. I do not know how the b/o system and software works but something is very wrong with their sniping capabilities when Godaddy beats them for almost every domain name. The names I am ordering are far from premium. I barely spend a $ with them any more, they have become my "just in case" places to backorder.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back