Dynadot

.tv Is it time for registry to drop price of .tv?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I can't get a grip of pricing for .tv

Can anyone shed any light on why the .tv registry feel the need to keep the prices of .tv so high - around $23-$30 - and why registrars such as name, dynadot and godaddy don't put on pressure to lower the prices for initial purchase like we used to have a few years ago at $10 a year?

Is .tv priced too highly ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I can't get a grip of pricing for .tv

Can anyone shed any light on why the .tv registry feel the need to keep the prices of .tv so high - around $23-$30 - and why registrars such as name, dynadot and godaddy don't put on pressure to lower the prices for initial purchase like we used to have a few years ago at $10 a year?

Is .tv priced too highly ?

I do agree ! The question is : what can be done about it ? I hope they at least will give a promotion in a certain month.

•••
While .TV makes sense for video content, .TV renewals at $28-$30 each are too high to maintain a large portfolio (at least one heavy on Spanish domains). Yes there are occasional sales but the last few years they seem to occur less frequently and at lower prices. Even with $10 renewals you need a certain sell-through ratio and average sales price just to break even. With hundreds of new extensions. .TV is just another alternative amongst the hundreds of available options. Despite having dropped close to 60% of my .TV portfolio, I still believe .TV makes more sense than any other .COM alternative - at least for keywords that makes sense with video. But I do see many YouTube channels operating without domains. Given the rarity of aftermarket buyers even for .COM domains, my domain holdings are at their lowest point since when I was relatively new to domaining.

•••
why registrars such as name, dynadot and godaddy don't put on pressure to lower the prices for initial purchase like we used to have a few years ago at $10 a year?
Do they have any leverage ? AFAIK it's the Verisign shareholders who hold the cards.

•••
id say price is ok. stop racing ot the bottom, just spend 25% of the reg fees on marketing!!!

page howe

•••
...With hundreds of new extensions. .TV is just another alternative amongst the hundreds of available options....

I don't think so. With "tv" being two letters and possibly the most recognizable two-letter symbol in the world; with it symbolizing what many, if not most, people spend more of their free time doing than anything else; with the extension alerting people that they can likely find video, which they love, on the website advertised; and with the Internet still developing and slowly converging with television - likely to the point where many websites will effectively function as TV stations - I think .tv rightly deserves to be the undisputed No. 2 behind .com and sooner or later will be.

•••
.Tv comes across as cheap compared to what's happening with the New Gtld's .... stick to budget and it works out

•••
With these high renewal prices and rare sales due to gtld competition, most people drop their names and holes in the extension are getting bigger and bigger.
I am sure that if renewal was about $10 (have in mind Verisign before a month gone to $9 renewals/transfers for .cc) registrations of extension would be much higher.
Personally with $10 i would not even check if i would renew a .tv in my portfolio, i would do blindly like .com.
At .tv it seems Verisign does not follow offer-asking law nowdays, as asking is lower and offer is higher renewal should be near .com/.net/.cc

•••
Another great virtue of .tv is that when you advertise a .tv website it tells people that there's likely a lot of video on the site. Since people like video, your advertising is likely to get a better response.

•••
More people who want a business to do business they way they demand.
Can you imagine, these people that want lower prices....
If they went to a car dealer and said, hey your price is too high so move it down to a thousand dollars so I can afford a new car.
Or go into a liquor store and want lowered prices on tequlla.

•••
This is not a kids extension. This is the real deal here. Like DNLucky said, this is the 2nd best extension out there imho. We dont want skewed BS numbers of free/$1 registrations like xyz, and $1.info type promotions.We dont want everything 10 characters or less regged because everyone can afford 100 of these without any thought at all like .com at less than $10 per year. Thats why you can barely get a decent 2 or 3 word .com at this point. Raise the annual fee to $25 per year and see how many .coms would be dropped right now. We would probably see half or 2/3 of the .coms drop. So my answer to the original question here...The annual renewal fee for .tv at this point is just perfect.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back