Dynadot

Is it possible to transfer an expired domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Reg

Established Member
Impact
Is it possible to transfer an expired domain? When it is expired, it takes 40 days before it is actually deleted, right? Is it possible to transfer it during those 40 days i.e. between the actual expiration and deletion?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
nope. once its on redemption peroid. the domain is 'getting ready' to be put on the delete list. During registrar-hold or lock. You can still renew the domain or transfer it.

Pending delete or redemption period <- name is no longer yours therefore cant trans.

good question tho

•••
Hi jamminsport16!
Thanks for your reply! But... I think I did not understand it completely. You wrote: "nope" and "You can still renew the domain or transfer it" but isn't this a contradiction? Maybe I misunderstood?
Tks!
Reg

•••
Reg said:
Hi jamminsport16!
Thanks for your reply! But... I think I did not understand it completely. You wrote: "nope" and "You can still renew the domain or transfer it" but isn't this a contradiction? Maybe I misunderstood?
Tks!
Reg

Your question was about the 40 days which is the 'redemption period'. The answer is 'no' You cannot transfer a domain during that time.

During 'registar-hold or lock' you can transfer or renew a domin. (it is the time you have to renew your domain name)

•••
Ah, I didn't know the 40 day redemption period and the 'registar-hold or lock' (the time you have to renew your domain name) were two different things. In fact I was under the impression they were the same. Learned something new today! :)

Bear with me please and let me see if I get this straight: when I register a domain name on 1-jan-2004 then the redemption period starts on 1-jan-2005 so ends on 9-feb-2005. Is that right?

Then what (or when) is the 'registar-hold or lock'? :?

Tks!

•••
hold on, there may be some confusion.

If your name expires on 1-JAN-2005, and you don't renew it... on 2-JAN-2005 your domain becomes inactive and goes into a registrar-hold period (the registrar's "grace period"). This time period varies with each registrar, and gives you a chance to renew your domain before it enters the delete process. A typical period is 30-40 days past renewal date. You can renew your domain during this time for normal cost.

After this grace period, the registrar will send your name into the delete cycle. This stars with REDEPMTION PERIOD status. During this time, you can renew your name but it will cost a lot... ($150+)

After REDEMPTION PERIOD comes PENDING DELETE, which lasts 7 days. The domain cannot be recovered during PD status. Domain drops after the 7 days.

The entire process is 60-75 days depending on registrar.

•••
the registrar-hold is from: 37-82 days. from the expiring point of your domain.

so your domain goes from:
expiration date (date expires)
registrar-hold (37-82 days)
redemption period (31-40 days)
pending delete (5 days)

available =]

•••
Thanks for summing it up, jammin. Is it 5 days or 7 days in pending delete?

I guess the original question is if a domain can be transferred within the registrar-hold status? This depends on the registrar.

Surprisingly, at Network Solutions at least, you can still initiate a registrar transfer and transfer names that are past expiration date without a problem.

•••
snapcheck.com says 5 days for pending delete. hmm

•••
-RJ- said:
Thanks for summing it up, jammin. Is it 5 days or 7 days in pending delete?

5 days pending delete, then ideally it'll become available on the 6th day at
roughly 1-2PM EST.

-RJ- said:
Surprisingly, at Network Solutions at least, you can still initiate a registrar transfer and transfer names that are past expiration date without a problem.

One of the few things they're good for. :D

•••
-RJ- said:
I guess the original question is if a domain can be transferred within the registrar-hold status? This depends on the registrar.

Yes, that was the original question! :red:

•••
-RJ- said:
A typical period is 30-40 days past renewal date. You can renew your domain during this time for normal cost.

Just a note - Make sure you Always read up on "Late" (past renewal date) renewals at your Register(s) ~

Some will burn you very bad if you Have to use this option :!:

•••
all4cost said:
Just a note - Make sure you Always read up on "Late" (past renewal date) renewals at your Register(s) ~

Some will burn you very bad if you Have to use this option :!:

yeah if ur going to renew then go ahead & dont wait! =]

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back