Dynadot

question Is it possible for a name that had traffic and dropped now available to register still have traffic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hui2000

Stable BrandsTop Member
Impact
Hello,

Could anyone have an experience on this?

Say i had noticed a name that has been have good traffic with these statistics:
Daily visits: 480
Daily revenue: $4.99
Backlinks: 60k

If this name got dropped and its available to register and got to discover after say 6 months, is there any possibility that this name still makes some revenue when am to register it?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,

If this name got dropped and its available to register and got to discover after say 6 months, is there any possibility that this name still makes some revenue when am to register it?

Thanks

There is potential for that, I would not be as sure about the daily revenue, but certainly traffic. I have handregged names that had traffic right away. Now look at those backlinks, a lot of them will fade. But traffic potential? Sure That can happen, check out what the site actually did using archive.org.

•••
Bigger question for me is why owner let it go... sudden drop in traffic perhaps? or maybe domain got blocked due to fake traffic?.. even worse, maybe TM issues?

•••
There is potential for that, I would not be as sure about the daily revenue, but certainly traffic. I have handregged names that had traffic right away. Now look at those backlinks, a lot of them will fade. But traffic potential? Sure That can happen, check out what the site actually did using archive.org.

Thanks for the insight,just checked with archive.org and looks like it was a forum.

•••
Bigger question for me is why owner let it go... sudden drop in traffic perhaps? or maybe domain got blocked due to fake traffic?.. even worse, maybe TM issues?

No trademark issue with the name, looks like it was a forum operated for about 2-3 years and name droped by by previous owner and registered by someone in 2015 and tried building a forum again on it and again dropped and now available

•••
Sure, if it still has existing backlinks then you will get some level of traffic. Usually the backlinks disappear over time though. The numbers you shared look pretty healthy, might be worth a shot.

•••
Sure, if it still has existing backlinks then you will get some level of traffic. Usually the backlinks disappear over time though. The numbers you shared look pretty healthy, might be worth a shot.

Exactly that's the point could be worthy a shot.

Thanks

•••
Hello,

Thanks

This can be beneficial for SEO purposes IF the quality of backlinks are good and the anchor texts used are relevant. You want to make sure that the backlinks are from reputable sources and not a bunch of spammy ones. If the backlinks are from sources that are not related to the content you put on the website you build, your conversation rate will be very low.

I register related domains with backlinks from reputable sources like wikipedia and do a 301 redirect to my websites. I get an SEO boost plus the instant targeted traffic.

•••
Hello,

If this name got dropped and its available to register and got to discover after say 6 months, is there any possibility that this name still makes some revenue k itwhen am to register it?

Thanks

when you don't own a name and track it
you can never "know" how much traffic it formerly had

it might still have traffic
but most likely
it won't fit your expectations

•••
This can be beneficial for SEO purposes IF the quality of backlinks are good and the anchor texts used are relevant. You want to make sure that the backlinks are from reputable sources and not a bunch of spammy ones. If the backlinks are from sources that are not related to the content you put on the website you build, your conversation rate will be very low.

I register related domains with backlinks from reputable sources like wikipedia and do a 301 redirect to my websites. I get an SEO boost plus the instant targeted traffic.

Sounds a great idea am actually looking at just parking the name and see if it earns something incase i decide to register it

•••
when you don't own a name and track it
you can never "know" how much traffic it formerly had

it might still have traffic
but most likely
it won't fit your expectations

Thanks, i get the whole picture of what your meaning. Very hard to tell the fact on the traffic and more especially that it was dropped and now available to register

•••
Sounds a great idea am actually looking at just parking the name and see if it earns something incase i decide to register it

Accurately tracking traffic is relatively simple, but will require a little bit of work. The steps below assume that you have an existing website built on wordpress.

1. Register the domain name at godaddy
2. Install the plugin called linker https://wordpress.org/plugins/linker/
3. Do a 301 redirect to a URL you created using your installed linker plugin on any website of yours
4. Track visits to that URL in your wordpress admin for 24 hours.
5. If the traffic is satisfactory, keep the domain. If not, dump it and get a refund

You may actually be better of doing a 301 redirect with an affiliate link than just parking the domain name.

•••
Accurately tracking traffic is relatively simple, but will require a little bit of work. The steps below assume that you have an existing website built on wordpress.

1. Register the domain name at godaddy
2. Install the plugin called linker https://wordpress.org/plugins/linker/
3. Do a 301 redirect to a URL you created using your installed linker plugin on any website of yours
4. Track visits to that URL in your wordpress admin for 24 hours.
5. If the traffic is satisfactory, keep the domain. If not, dump it and get a refund

You may actually be better of doing a 301 redirect with an affiliate link than just parking the domain name.

This sounds a great deal as incase it has not satisfactory traffic i can dump it and get a refund.

Thanks for the advice

•••
Traffic it sure has. I do it sometimes, purchase drops that have alexa rank with the maximum of 1 million and then redirect it to the website that I need traffic.

•••
Google knows when a domain is expiring. It will start deleting the index. If you catch the domain after deleted, the traffic is almost gone. Of course Google can't delete all back-links from all websites, blogs, bookmarks, social media posts, etc. Those traffic may still coming, but you do not know all the back-links if you do not have contact with previous owner or looking at the code/pages in the server. There is a way to know all the links if you the directly register your domain to Google webmaster tool, but almost useless. The best way to grab traffic from going out of business domain is to buy it before expiring and even ask to own the content at least for a while to redirect them to correct new content.

One of my domain I register was deleted and previous website was an adult website. You can see it by putting site:thedomain.com in Google. I went to Google webmaster tool, proof than I am the owner of the domain by adding TXT value, and request to remove all indexed links. The next day all gone clean.

Here the Google webmaster tool address: https://www.google.com/webmasters

•••
Traffic it sure has. I do it sometimes, purchase drops that have alexa rank with the maximum of 1 million and then redirect it to the website that I need traffic.

Good point in there, always checking the Alexa rank.

Thanks

•••
Google knows when a domain is expiring. It will start deleting the index. If you catch the domain after deleted, the traffic is almost gone. Of course Google can't delete all back-links from all websites, blogs, bookmarks, social media posts, etc. Those traffic may still coming, but you do not know all the back-links if you do not have contact with previous owner or looking at the code/pages in the server. There is a way to know all the links if you the directly register your domain to Google webmaster tool, but almost useless. The best way to grab traffic from going out of business domain is to buy it before expiring and even ask to own the content at least for a while to redirect them to correct new content.

One of my domain I register was deleted and previous website was an adult website. You can see it by putting site:thedomain.com in Google. I went to Google webmaster tool, proof than I am the owner of the domain by adding TXT value, and request to remove all indexed links. The next day all gone clean.

Here the Google webmaster tool address: https://www.google.com/webmasters

Thanks for the detailed contribution, so many good points made in there.

•••
•••
I registered a dropped domain with 1 million backlinks in in the past but it didnt get any traffic! I ended up selling it for $10 lol .. So it all depends on the quality of backlinks not the number.

•••
I registered a dropped domain with 1 million backlinks in in the past but it didnt get any traffic! I ended up selling it for $10 lol .. So it all depends on the quality of backlinks not the number.

Yes correct, I don't know where that number coming from. It could be only from unique links/url seeing from server side which can be different than links indexed by Google. Links on social media is less valuable then links from article or blog post because social media post is so fast and last week links can be irrelevant for today.

•••

You make a very good point in there, about the quality of backlinks.

Thanks

•••
Backlinks. Are not. For traffic.

Lol.

There are three types of traffic:

1. Search traffic - when people click on a link to your site in Google and other search engines SERP

2. Referral traffic - when people click on a link to your site at another site

3. Direct traffic - when people type your site in their browser or click from their bookmarks

Terms may differ but the meaning is always the same.

What you are talking about - is traffic number 2. You grabbed domain with a million backlinks - but all chances are that those backlinks were SEO links. People build SEO links for robots, not for humans. The more backlinks you have, the higher your site should be in SERPs, in theory, and the more weight the links from this your site will have. But nobody can guarantee than anyone would ever be interested enough to click on such link and to go to your site - if they ever find such link.

•••
2. Referral traffic - when people click on a link to your site at another site

If you have a page with a dead link (because the link pointing to an expiring domain), you think Google keeps same SEO rank/value to the page? I bet Google will see that is disadvantage of the page, so Google will lower it down. It means traffic also get less on that page (not the link).

Chinese search engine probably not doing that. I see some "search" still landed to a page (where it has a link), then clicked a link to my domain that I bought after expired.

•••
If you have a page with a dead link (because the link pointing to an expiring domain), you think Google keeps same SEO rank/value to the page? I bet Google will see that is disadvantage of the page, so Google will lower it down. It means traffic also get less on that page (not the link).
It might be. And might not. SEO is not an exact science, it's a set of assumptions on how SE algos work. Now, the common assumption on the matter is that in the most cases backlinks keep their power. Otherwise people would not be buying expired domains and making 301 and building huge PBN nets. They are doing this because these methods work.

•••
Hello,

Thanks

What i do in this case is install a wordpress landing page and a plugin that reroutes all 404 page traffic to the home page. That way I keep the link juice. I don't recall the name of the plugin off the top of my head but if you want me to look it up let me know.

•••
Back