Dynadot

Sedo and traffic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello.

I just bought a domain on Sedo because of its name and traffic, most for the traffic. Im pretty sure this thing has been discussed on NP before but I have to make a warning to others.

I searched for a domain had a lot of traffic and suited my webpage (contest) and found one on Sedo. I bought the damn name for 250 Euro and then reentered the name on Sedo. The traffic was still high, but was I misstaken or what. When I forward it to another tracker is showned no traffic at all.

Now this is the stupid thing about Sedo, the have the option: "http://www.sedoparking.com/domain.com" and guess what, yepp, thats why the traffic was so high. The previous owner had pointed fake traffic to www.sedoparking.com/thenameIbought.com so even If I re-entered my name for sale I would still get the high traffic.

I think this is a big issue that Sedo has to think about because I just spent 250 Euro on a crappy name.

Well, I have to be "pleased" with all the inlinks.. or NOT!

// David

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Doesn't surprise me...Sedo are about as sharp as a plastic butter knife when it comes to the likes of traffic analysis and such. They tend to keep on the fraudsters/screw over the honest and leave their customers like you holding the bag.

Next time simply buy your dn's elsewhere and avoid them.

•••
Sedo traffic in August 2006

I was just wondering how you parked domains are doing as far as traffic this month on www.Sedo.com ? Most of mine seem to be stuck in a rut. How are your domains doing? :'(

Frank

•••
Quote from Sedo:

Important: Traffic statistics can be manipulated. If you are interested in purchasing a domain primarily for its traffic, we recommend that you use our comment feature to ask the domain's seller to verify the traffic source. Sedo makes no warranty as to the accuracy of these statistics.

•••
Bummer :td: They call that the "Pump and Dump" scam, if you do a search here there's more info on it.

knarfmusik said:
I was just wondering how you parked domains are doing as far as traffic this month on www.Sedo.com ? Most of mine seem to be stuck in a rut. How are your domains doing? :'(
Frank
Mine are not doing so well anymore - views have declined massively over the last three months for some strange reason ???

•••
If I see a high traffic domain at Sedo, I always check to see if it has any Overture at all with the extension. Even a domain showing a thousand or so uniques a month at Sedo, should have at least a score of 10 with the extension if it is genuine.

•••
DOMiNIC said:
If I see a high traffic domain at Sedo, I always check to see if it has any Overture at all with the extension. Even a domain showing a thousand or so uniques a month at Sedo, should have at least a score of 10 with the extension if it is genuine.

Thats an excellent reply and something everyone should do becuase sedo are getting a sort of bad reputation now

•••
I have several domains that have traffic and I do not point anything to the names, but they still do not have an ov score. Example www.Amazdaq.com get's about 150 uniques per day with Zero OV either way. The traffic can also be coming from links as well or direct type in's because of an old site, but Yes I have seen when people point all there domains to one name and make it look like it's getting tons of traffic. That's BS. Just my 2 cents.

•••
Sorry to hear that davidc. Irritating. Thanks for the warning. Is it a parked site? I'll help by clicking some ads for you. :)

•••
•••
I would only consider buying a traffic name on Sedo if the stats makes sense
according to my own analysis. If not sure, stay away, or speak to a sedo rep before purchase and ask if they can do an analysis of traffic for a domain you are considering buying. That seems fair enough. And they might do it.

david

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back