NameSilo

Is it Free to sell domains on eBay

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JamesCrew

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

Not sure if this has already been discussed here. I tried to search the topic but didn't find what I was actually looking for.

Here's what I would like to know please:

1. Is it free to sell domains on ebay? If not, what's their listing fee per domain (or per listing with multiple domains?)

2. After the domain gets sold to the buyer, what's ebay's commission from that selling price?

Would appreciate some professional input on this as I have been searching for the answer for quite some time now.

Best,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Answers are in Ebay. You need to list a domain on Ebay and choose the selling options you want to see how much it will cost, if it sells you will pay ebay commission as normal. I'm sure its possible to list multiple names on one listing.

•••
If I'm not mistaken there is no listing fee for the first 50 domains. Ebay charges a comission fee %10 of sale price.

•••
No listing fee for ebay

Yes they charge a commission once the item is sold.

•••
eBay takes not 10%, but 15%+pp commision

•••
Thanks for all the responses friends, really appreciate it.

So eBay does not charge any fee for listing (first 50 domains) and does charge 15% commission upon sale? Right?

•••
I'm not sure about 15%, but I think so.

•••
this is a real tricky one.. so you need to hear it from someone who went out of his way to find out from supervisor etc..

there are two ways to list on ebay.. one is regular listing placed in the domain category.. etc..

for which you pay regular insertion fee like for selling your shoes or what not..

and a 10% final fee.

the other way which is used by anyone and everyone who is selling domains for say 100k 200k and up.. cause for most part, their selling limits are not that high.. you need to be on ebay for a while to get good rep and sell limits.. so those people, need to bypass selling limits.. to do so they use what is called classified ad listing.

the cost of is $9 a pop. just to put it out there. sale or no sale.

this does not interest me personally, so I never found out what final fee on this is.. but I think it shoudl be 10%.

in short, and depending on yoru ebay selling limits.. list your domains as regular listrings.. then you pay reg insertion fee and 10% finals.

good luck.

•••
Thanks @alcy, appreciate your input.

So if I get it right, I have to pay upfront fee to list my domain at eaby, for their regular listing? Reg fee; where does that come in?

Cheers,

•••
well.. for regular fees, you always pay them upfront.. but depending on whether you have store there or what not.. you get some frree liistings.. even with no store you get like 50 free.. check their faqs.

once you are outside the free listing max, you paqy regular insert fees.. those are in cents.. per listing.

and if you want ot sell domain for amount outside your selling limits, you have to go to classified ads, where you pay 9$ upfront to list.

when you see a domain on ebay for 1 million buynow. it means the guy is paying $9 to have it there.

•••
15% is incorrect. Ebay final value fee is 10% commission.

However, this gets me to thinking. Ebay charges 10% commission and their only payment method is PayPal (for all practical purposes). PayPal extracts at least a 2.9% fee. Ebay owns PayPal. You can do the math.

Ebay often runs promotions so you shouldn't have to pay an insertion fee.

I'm not sure what you mean by reg fee. Domain registration is entirely separate matter.

•••
The bottom line: The bigger a company becomes, the worse it becomes for the consumer.

Case in point: At first look I was puzzled that you were unable to find answers to your questions at Ebay. So I went and looked for myself and it was almost impossible to find simple explanations such as commission fees. Such information is absolutely buried on their horrid website. This is not by accident.

Oh yeah, and Ebay final value fees used to be 5%. Before it became the Wal-Mart of online auctions.

Last edited:
•••
@forge many thanks for your detailed answer.

Yup, yesterday I tried to dig info from eBay and it partly helped me and leaving me confused somewhat. But happy to see your response.

Now I am sure I am all set to list couple of domains (for free) on eBay next week.

Wish me luck mates.

•••
I am back mates with a new question relevant to this thread.

So just now I listed 5 domains on ebay. But wait, what's that I see in my Control Panel there that

1. I can sell only 5 items this month
2. I have a limit of selling $500 worth of items

What does it mean why is this limit showing? I thought I can list and sell 50 domains a month???

Am I missing something here? Please guide.

•••
I am back mates with a new question relevant to this thread.

So just now I listed 5 domains on ebay. But wait, what's that I see in my Control Panel there that

1. I can sell only 5 items this month
2. I have a limit of selling $500 worth of items

What does it mean why is this limit showing? I thought I can list and sell 50 domains a month???

Am I missing something here? Please guide.

that pretty much relates to what i wrote bout sell limits

•••
•••
No, on ebay there are fees to sell good on it, which includes domain names

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back