Domain Empire

discuss Is .IN taking off? Cycle.in sold for $16,500

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
I came across this sale of Cycle.in for $16,500 on Sedo.
That is a great price for a ccTLD.

I wonder if .IN is taking off slowly. I spoke to some of the biggest .IN investors at DomainX conference and they said that big things are going to happen in .IN and that it's going to be one of the most popular ccTLD in the coming time.

What are your views?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ananda, Azad - are brands...
I'm talking about generics...

Regarding SVT - I don't see any Indian enduser there... it is parked on Voodoo and for sale...

•••

Regarding SVT - I don't see any Indian enduser there... it is parked on Voodoo and for sale...
Its purchased by special vehicle technology making company.. They have not changed name servers, they will launch site when their product is ready... I was the seller, if you are not trusting I can email you the escrow Screenshot to you ... I have sold 10 names this year..none on sales reports..because I don't like to pay the unwanted sedo commission fees... Why to spend loads in commission fees when it can be handled outside??? ...Ananda.in and azad.in are not brands.. They are pure generic names..you can ask any of your Indian friends. They can confirm the same...

•••
•••
Regarding Sedo...
They can be used as Escrow only... in this case: 3% or min. $60

•••
I see many registered TMs for Ananda and Azad when searching them on https://www.registrationwala.com/trademark-search

What are your results with English-generics?

Almost all fruit names are trade marked.. Even almost all lll names are trademarked too...it doesn't mean they cant be registered and sold....trade marks can be in 44 classes...no one has exclusivity in all classes...

Regarding generic English words...many sold privately with in my circle up to mid xxxxx usd...example near.in... My best sale is almonds.in for 5000 usd to a agency guy who in turn sold for profits... I also heard few 6 digits sales like hosting.in.. Not verified by sales reports...dont go by sedo sales reports...those not applicable for. IN

I have less generic keywords... I am more focused on short names like lll.in, nnn.in and also has mid xxx keywords and product names too..my results are quite good so far.. I have few names reserved for low to mid xxxxx usd sales. I am confidently rejecting mid xxxx sales for the names I spent low xxx usd in reseller market... kindly note that these are early times.. Long way to go...just sharing my experience

•••
•••
•••
California...
I have asked you about English-generics and buyers from India...
Oh ok...I have sold few at low xxxx.. Near.in is sold by an Indian to an Indian company....it's sold by a friend of mine... Approximately to mid xxxxx usd... Later near.in company acquired for multi million usd...

Also you are missing one important fact...companies outside also buy. IN names as they don't want to miss Indian market.. Almonds.in is a classic example.same way HPE.in is purchased by HP. Amz.in is purchased by Amazon...

•••
Endusers outside India now have a tons of alternatives...
So their demand on .in dropped significantly except defensive purchases...
I didn't miss anything. Quoted again and bolded.

•••
Then everything purchased by outside companies can be classified as defensive.... Why do they need almonds.in if they don't have business interests with that name..agency could have easily charged low xxxxx usd... Why anyone wasting xxxxx usd??

India is a huge country no one want to miss the market.. Pcs.in purchased by Pcs.co.uk.. It's a small company.. It's for much higher than almonds price. This year only... I can give hundreds of such examples... Only 17500 plus lll.in names are.possible...already 6% are in use...almost 5% in end users hands and un developed...

India itself has millions of businesses...world.wide companies want defensive purchases...how many lll.in are needed... How many premium keywords are required... Global ceos are must need to focus on India...the growing. Market...
Doesn't matter Defensive or non defensive purchase... We are hear to make profits...

•••
I just answered why foreigners are important... because the most profit is generated by them.
OK, that's all for me in this thread.

•••
I see some potential in this extension - worth to mention I've never really invested much into it. Yet. So I'm saying it as an obsever not as an investor.
I owned few LLL.in back in 2010 and sold one of them for low X,XXX$ to a relatively small Indian company based in Mumbai

Last edited:
•••
I just answered why foreigners are important... because the most profit is generated by them.
OK, that's all for me in this thread.
Everyone is important.... Foreigners or Indian doesn't matter....as.long as there is a demand...that's good... Clearly the initial demand for after market purchases came from outside India..i have already agreed with you in previous posts but I strongly disagree that Indian companies doesn't pay or can't afford... This is where I am trying to correct you.. Also it's my opinion, very soon the demand will come from India...indian companies demand itself is more than enough...any other usage is a bonus... I am 1000% confident. IN is unstoppable and the profit making extension in coming years..

Last edited:
•••
The reality is indian population or companies doesnt spend miney on domains neithet does the general public.

And if they do, they would like to buy only .com if it isnt available than the maximum spent someone in india would look at would be a 1000$.

You can't even rent a shop for $1k in India, you really think that $1k is all that online businesses are willing to pay?

The complete indian domain market is speculated purchases by local domainers in keywords and in 3L.in it is purely lead by one chinese invester who spent 350000$ to buy up the market and jumped the prices in 6 months from 20 to 200$.

The complete Indian domain market? Really?!!

You sure you're not thinking about some of the ntlds which have had 500k+ regs on one day?

Afaik the growth for .in has been completely organic and the reg numbers have been going up steadily without any artificial 'jumps'.

The bubble will burst. So beware

Which bubble? The India growth bubble or the India startup bubble or the India usage bubble? I'd love to know more.

Chances are there will become a peak in .in and then a drop off.

The number of users is going up, the number of startups is going up, the economy is going up, the number of VCs and funds is going up, why do you think there will be a 'drop off' in .IN domain usage or prices?

I compare .in to .cn,

That is your main mistake right there. IN is an English word, a pretty popular preposition in fact, which .cn isn't, so the only demand for .cn is local or companies looking to target China. .IN demand is global, 228 countries from what people have said, hardly symptomatic of a niche usage.

I strongly agree with you. 2 Chinese investors and 20 Indian investors hold 85% of LLL.in market share. They have increased the prices from 10$ to 200$ in 6 months that's no natural demand.

Don't invest in categories or even tlds, invest in the domain in it's entirety.

So speculating LLL.in ... see what has happened with similar stories in other extensions.

Yes, see what has happened to LLL.com - do you consider that a good investment or a bad investment?

because an Indian Business owner will not pay over a 1000$ for a domain name. That's a fact.

When you say something is a 'fact' you better have data to back it up. You obviously have absolutely no idea about the Indian market so please don't mislead people.

As already said above by @Kate : "population" uses Facebook/Twitter/email etc.
Domain aftermarket - is another theme...

@Kate also said .pro would never go past 125k regs, where are we with that now? I hope you remember the exchange I had with @Kate in the .pro thread?

.IN names are registered by residents of 228 countries plus territories

And that ladies and gentlemen is the only fact you need to know. Usage is GLOBAL. Not a flash in the pan, not a niche, not even just local.

Does this mean you should use your rent money to invest in .in, no. But if you're a long term value investor looking for a sure thing, this is it.

•••
The number of users is going up, the number of startups is going up, the economy is going up, the number of VCs and funds is going up, why do you think there will be a 'drop off' in .IN domain usage or prices?

That is your main mistake right there. IN is an English word, a pretty popular preposition in fact, which .cn isn't, so the only demand for .cn is local or companies looking to target China. .IN demand is global, 228 countries from what people have said, hardly symptomatic of a niche usage.
There is a difference between registration and usage. Are there endusers or investors for .in in 228 countries or simply that many registrations?

Just because in is an English word doesn't mean that has any real impact on registrations. It's not like .co which can mean company, why would anyone care about a short word, which is a preposition, after their keyword? Outside of a handful of hacks, I can't imagine anyone using that as a reason to invest.

•••
Its misleading.

The reality is indian population or companies doesnt spend miney on domains neithet does the general public.

And if they do, they would like to buy only .com if it isnt available than the maximum spent someone in india would look at would be a 1000$.

The complete indian domain market is speculated purchases by local domainers in keywords and in 3L.in it is purely lead by one chinese invester who spent 350000$ to buy up the market and jumped the prices in 6 months from 20 to 200$.

The bubble will burst. So beware
You are actually wrong on this assertion of yours. Indian government has recently urged her citizens to embrace the .IN extension and that is a clear description of what is likely obtainable in the future, wherein the citizen, like it is in UK, would prefer their country extension as opposed to .com.

•••
There is a difference between registration and usage. Are there endusers or investors for .in in 228 countries or simply that many registrations?

Just because in is an English word doesn't mean that has any real impact on registrations. It's not like .co which can mean company, why would anyone care about a short word, which is a preposition, after their keyword? Outside of a handful of hacks, I can't imagine anyone using that as a reason to invest.

If .CO can stand for company, .IN can stand for - “International”, “Inc”, “Internet”, “Insurance”, “Info”, “investment" among many others...

•••
If .CO can stand for company, .IN can stand for - “International”, “Inc”, “Internet”, “Insurance”, “Info”, “investment" among many others...
It can and is. Fortune 500 companies use co in their names I.e PepsiCo, Sysco, Costco, People's Insurance Co, Tesco, etc. I can't recall seeing those examples abbreviated with IN. Either way, companies prefer .com even with the opportunity for shorter names via ccTLDs

•••
I really really love all those that don't think .in will grow again and again, since they don't compete with me to invest :)

•••
@Kate also said .pro would never go past 125k regs, where are we with that now? I hope you remember the exchange I had with @Kate in the .pro thread?
I remember that, and I still wonder how many regs are not by domainers. Anyway, I am just reminding people that the vast majority of Internet users will never buy their own domain name. At least that's how it's been over the past two decades.
It's not like we have 100 million new buyers ahead just because they went online. On the other hand .in is still underutilized so there is lots of room for growth. And .in is not an artificial string like the new gTLD.

•••

Lol .co means company who told that? .co means colombia its a colombian cctld.. just .co registry branded that as .company .. if thats the case .IN can be branded as .Internet , .International , .Information , .Inc, .Incredible, .inspire, .india, .indepedendent , .investment , .insurance , .ink ...etc .Infinite branding opportunities .. also can use as a domain hack like Amazon.in/India, Amazon.in/China, Amazon.in/America like a domain hack.. berl.in another domain hack.. .IN has much branding potential and use cases than .co , more over its a cctld of the second largest most populous and as well as internet nation.. by 2022 worlds largest populous country. check the fundamentals..

•••
It can and is. Fortune 500 companies use co in their names I.e PepsiCo, Sysco, Costco, People's Insurance Co, Tesco, etc. I can't recall seeing those examples abbreviated with IN. Either way, companies prefer .com even with the opportunity for shorter names via ccTLDs
how many fortune 500 companies are using Inc in the end , the first one itself Wal-Mart Stores, Inc , Apple Inc .. what about companies like Lockheed Martin, Linked In (offcourse 733 rank)..

•••
how many fortune 500 companies are using Inc in the end , the first one itself Wal-Mart Stores, Inc , Apple Inc .. what about companies like Lockheed Martin, Linked In (offcourse 733 rank)..
notice you're saying inc, investment, insurance, and not just "in", so you're proving my point. If you want to stand by inc so much, there is a .inc extension, maybe that's the next big hit ;)

India has had over a billion people for decades now and .in is still behind many other ccTLDs. so now suddenly it will change? Everyone is saying .in is such a great investment NOW, why wasn't it 5 or 10 years ago when you could get premium keywords for a fraction of the price?

I'm going to start a thread "computers; are they the next big thing?" You're acting like I said I don't think .in is great, while I'm saying don't convince yourself it's suddenly great due to factors which have been in play for years.

•••
notice you're saying inc, investment, insurance, and not just "in", so you're proving my point. If you want to stand by inc so much, there is a .inc extension, maybe that's the next big hit ;)

India has had over a billion people for decades now and .in is still behind many other ccTLDs. so now suddenly it will change? Everyone is saying .in is such a great investment NOW, why wasn't it 5 or 10 years ago when you could get premium keywords for a fraction of the price?

I'm going to start a thread "computers; are they the next big thing?" You're acting like I said I don't think .in is great, while I'm saying don't convince yourself it's suddenly great due to factors which have been in play for years.

Exactly, this is what I have been telling everyone that .in is the worst extension around, it will NEVER EVER be worth anything.

So guys, please give your good .in domains to me for twice the reg fee, I will gladly help you get rid of your bad investment. This is the least I can do !!!

•••

Ananda - JOY in English
Azad - FREEDOM in English

Peoples are choosing Hindi words as brand names in India... As these are easy to spell-out for Indians
Many of the companies are using Hindi words...

Untill you entered in the .in market, can not judge the current situation...

I frequently rejecting low xxx offers on some of my two word .ins like buyersclub.in jobmania.in mtickets.in etc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back