Dynadot

discuss Is .IN taking off? Cycle.in sold for $16,500

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
I came across this sale of Cycle.in for $16,500 on Sedo.
That is a great price for a ccTLD.

I wonder if .IN is taking off slowly. I spoke to some of the biggest .IN investors at DomainX conference and they said that big things are going to happen in .IN and that it's going to be one of the most popular ccTLD in the coming time.

What are your views?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I can't complain on quality... not a newbie in domaining.

Last edited:
•••
Regarding bidders outside India...
My highest .in-sale was 2.4K EUR in 2013 to buyer from NL (4L).

Last edited:
•••
Regarding bidders outside India...
My highest .in-sale was 2.4K EUR in 2013 to buyer from NL (4L).
Agree, bidders from outside understand values quickly and gives reasonable offers as they have already gone through the awareness phase about domain name values. Indian bidders changing too..I have rejected few mid xxxx offers on my names from India this year, my expectation is around low xxxxx usd for those names.and I will wait, no issues ..I used to get as low as 10 usd offers mostly few years before and few between 100 to 1000 usd ...but things are changed to some extent.. Still receiving some low ball offers.. Also some cunning requests like I am from ngo,so give me for free.. I am a poor student, please help me... I was the previous owner, so sell me.at reduce price.. Etc ...
At the same I did noticed increased number of serious inquiries, several 1k and above inquiries.. . Just sharing my experience.. If you still own quality. IN names you could have noticed the same at your end too.. Things will change further as time passes by as overall ecosystem is going through transformation process...

On a different note 2.4k euro for 4l.in is quite decent sale...congratulations.. Almost 250k plus 4l.in are still available to hand register

•••
Don't forget that 2013 was a year before nTLDs...

•••
Don't forget that 2013 was a year before nTLDs...
2013 to now things are changed a lot in. IN area... CcTLDS are going stronger after ntlds as they brought loads of confusion...ccTLDs share is increasing as a result...

•••
Endusers outside India now have a tons of alternatives...
So their demand on .in dropped significantly except defensive purchases...

•••
Consider there are more than 300 million of India's population under the age of 15 right now. Over the next 10 years this is a huge potential for growth in the digital sector there. So, dot-in safe bets, I'd say even dot-ooo could catch fire.

•••
As already said above by @Kate : "population" uses Facebook/Twitter/email etc.
Domain aftermarket - is another theme...

•••
As already said above by @Kate : "population" uses Facebook/Twitter/email etc.
Domain aftermarket - is another theme...
I strongly disagree with what Kate said...internet population amount has a strong relation with domain demand too...let's wait for 2 to 3 years to prove what Kate said is wrong from. IN point of view.. I have huge respects for Kate's knowledge about cctlds. I believe Kate missed some realities of a developing nation.

•••
•••
Regarding cycle.in
High sales in this niche are occurring in various TLDs... this is not a benchmark for other domains.

•••
Indeed, it's not a benchmark...perhaps it's the precedence for future sales..

•••
I too completely disagree with Kate in regards to the relationship of the number of internet users and domain name value. Although the correlation may not be direct, they DO have a strong relationship with each other and it would be absolutely absurd not to think in that manner. As the number of internet users increases, the value and worth of owning a keyword domain name also becomes more appealing to businesses or to those whom wish to have a presence on the web and direct their business towards web users in that particular country.

Ok, other factors do play a part in all of this, which includes the overall data value of each user and what they use the web for. At the moment, many young indians are using it primarily for social networking but this IS CHANGING massively and at a very rapid rate. More and more indians are now moving past the social networking stage and also increasingly using e-commerce on a daily basis, as well as other services such as for entertainment & education. The government is backing the .IN extension and useage of the web in an enormous marketing push.

India is unlike any other market in the world, it is leapfrogging older technologies, moving straight onto 4G, it has started with social networking useage and then moving onto other areas of use, which is actually the opposite of what has happened in more mature markets such as in the west BUT India's rise is happening at a much faster and rapid rate, yes it is an extremely young market but one which is growing faster than any other in the world right now. I think everyone should watch .IN extremely closely, as I think it will easily outperform any other extension for ROI.

•••
I haven't completely read this thread so sorry if someone else has already mentioned this but you have to take into account that this extension is a usable word in itself for hacks. For instance cycle.in can be used for cycle.in/France or cycle.in/London .

•••
Completely agree with you UniflexDomains, the .in extension is always an excellent one for domain hacks and is used a lot in that manner both inside and outside of India too. The .in extension is global extension that is already being utilised in a variety of ways and interest is now growing further.

•••
Completely agree with you UniflexDomains, the .in extension is always an excellent one for domain hacks and is used a lot in that manner both inside and outside of India too. The .in extension is global extension that is already being utilised in a variety of ways and interest is now growing further.
.IN names are registered by residents of 228 countries plus territories

•••
Strong .IN and .CO.IN keywords are going to be valued and don't think you need to be a rocket scientist for that. Is the .IN domain market going to go straight up, probably not , but tough to deny that it wont be in the same league as .co.uk or .de or even higher in a few years. Just got back from India, from my little world could see ecommerce is just beginning to take off and many large corporations with much larger stake than domainers are driving the growth. And oh by the way, those of us have been in this since the early .com days, we have been through the ups and downs of many new extensions and "experts":) , cctlds tied to strong economies and growing economies are in it for the long haul.
LeDomain,
GREAT POINTS, all of them. I especially appreciate your sharing ground zero in India insights. The interesting difference in growth projections for India vs China is bypassing hard wired access, and less governmental interference. A much more agile position to be in for growth. The India attendees at namesCon all said the same thing, the old business in India will not change, but the new generation of business - completely on board.

Domainpundit,
You make GREAT POINTS I encourage "investors" to focus on

"perhaps you are missing important data."
"IMO, do not form your investment opinions based on past experience... past experiences gives the wisdom and learnings, however the future need to be looked into."
"there is no magic wand it will change over night... if you put the dots together and look at the future ".
"more users and more content are related to with each other..more content making opportunities attract more youngsters to start"

Kate,
"There is no correlation between the number of Internet user and domain sales"
perhaps you are missing important data.
If there were no "internet users" there would be no need for "domains". HIstorical fact. Future fact.

If there were no "shoppers" there would be no need for "stores", each of which have an "address"
If humans didn't need shelters there would be no need for housing, each of which have an "address"

The very core use for a domain is the "Digital Address" it represents

The internet may be "a majority about COMmerce" for now, but that is changing.

•••
I haven't completely read this thread so sorry if someone else has already mentioned this but you have to take into account that this extension is a usable word in itself for hacks. For instance cycle.in can be used for cycle.in/France or cycle.in/London .
Great observation! One of the best examples of a hack I've seen. better than cycle.com/France, cycle.com/London
instantly gives the potential user what the site is offering - what users want relevance. vs vague. I hope this site gets developed soon. It will be interesting to watch.

•••
..am from India and yeah I can say that...in is rising and will rise...

i ain't creating any Hype around it..but its happening here slowly and steadily

most of the mundane people here buy .in instead of .com for there work...partly its Nationalistic..partly cz they are cheap and short than .coms (remember that we Indians loves great Bargains..or we buy untill and unless we find a reasonable price for it..for anything)

...its in vogue..with the common day to day people..so the big companies in turn also buys the .in as well as .co.in domains for there companies...all the major sites have .in/.co.in domains..and it will be a tremendous loss for them and their business if they don't have them

am not preaching .in or .co.in...but as a locale..just telling you all the scene around our gullies ;)

...sAm

Last edited:
•••
I would like to point out that .in has been made available to the public in 2005.

If we compare this date to the introduction date of .co.uk (1985) or .de (1986), we can say that .in is late of 20 years. This also mean that .in is very very young. Adoption in India will continue for the next decades.

.de is 30 years old and .in 11 years old... Where .in will be in 19 years? I think this is the question investors must try to answer.

I bet for a continuous growth over the years, more or less correlated to the Indian economic evolution.

•••
23 reported sales as per name bio in this year whole 8 months. Numbers speaks for themselves

the reason is ,
.in sales are more private then public.

.in auctions are not allowed on godaddy and many other platforms..(due to registry restrictions)
thats why you will never see data on namebio, untill they are reported by seller....

namebio report doesn't means only 23 domains are sold in last 8 months

check the site the.in more sales are reported for .in domains.
you will find many xxx and xxxx sales which are not reported on namebio.

Last edited:
•••
Endusers outside India now have a tons of alternatives...
So their demand on .in dropped significantly except defensive purchases...
Even with less "outside" end user demand, there is going to be enough demand from inside India. Do foreigners need .cn more than chinese residents? offcourse not so this point is not strong. Every extension has many factors affecting it, but whats the net result? for .in, still good!

•••
I never saw .in-bidders from India above $400... so for me these foreigners which are able to pay $x,xxx - very important factor.

Last edited:
•••
I never saw .in-bidders from India above $400... so for me these foreigners which are able to pay $x,xxx - very important factor.

Its just your experience not everyone else...I also believe you sold most of your. IN portfolio a year before or something....so obviously your opinion is also based on earlier times...am I correct?

•••
Svt.in and ica.in are sold to Indian end users for 2500 usd each this year only.. around mid xxxx usd sales reported for azad.in, Ananda.in.. These are just few examples from this year sales...many more such sales happening from India...I respect your opinion, but others experiences are different from yours...just a point i am trying to highlight...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back