Dynadot

question Is Hosterstats data ever wrong? Could it ever be tricked or manipulated?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
hi.
I did a whois on a domain that I "swear" I owned. We've all been there. later I found out I owned the reverse of the two word domain.

I checked my emails of course and found no email from no registrar to show me I ever owned it.

I'm always paranoid my email got hacked and receipts deleted and domains stolen but I can never prove it.

So I check Hosterstats like I always do and depending if I find a record of the domain being ever with a registrar I deal with I will either escalate my worry or de-escalate and just forget it.

I checked and the domain was only deleted once and it does show it was with a registrar I've had domains with in the past but not no more.

here's what I get below. I omit the domain name.

Old Hoster New Hoster Month / Year Zone Date Transaction
N/A NAMEBRIGHTDNS.COM April 2018 2018-05-01 New
NAME-SERVICES.COM N/A February 2018 2018-03-01 Deleted
SERVIDOR-PATRICIA.COM NAME-SERVICES.COM January 2018 2018-02-01 Transfer
N/A SERVIDOR-PATRICIA.COM January 2012 2012-02-01 New

looking at the above. Is there anyway the data above could be wrong or manipulated by domain thieves to hide their tracks?

I doubt thieves would be that sophisticated but you never know these days.

Of course I could always just go and contact all the domain registrars I believe I may have had this domains.

One in particular LCN because of their stupid policy where unlike most registrars their whois verification process forces you to confirm that your whois info is correct. IF NOT they will allow the domains to delete.

I lost about 10 domains like this that had value.

but those I did have records for invoices in my inbox.

With all these domain theft stories circulating online. One can never be too suspicious.

Sneaky domain thieves.

Your input is appreciated. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The domain data is updated monthly from the zonefiles available on the first day of each month. If the domain name is in the zonefile, (or in the previous zonefile and not in the current one), the transactions will be added. If the nameservers for a domain name are removed, the domain name will appear as being deleted.

The path of the domain name above looks like a natural deletion process with the domain name being moved from the 2012 hoster to a registrar graveyard hoster (where expired and non-renewed domain names are transferred by the registrar) in 2018 before being deleted and then reregistered. With a stolen domain name, the creation date will typically stay the same even if the ownership details are changed though that can also apply if the domain name is restored. The new and transfer months are the same. With a stolen domain name this might not be the case. It might be useful to check the WHOIS for the creation date.

Regards...jmcc

•••
wow ok. first off thank you for the detailed reply.

I learned something.

so let me get this straight. if I changed the nameservers on any of my domains. Hosterstats will show that domain deleted on that day I made the switch?

so to add some details the domain in question. (domain name omitted) has this whois below. its with hugedomains name.

Not really thinking it was stolen but more like the domain because I did not verify my whois info was allowed to delete from my account and the email confirming this got buried in my inbox and I didn't catch it.

and then whoever saw it delete dropcatched it.

Registrar:
DropCatch.com 630 LLC

Registered On:
2018-04-06

Expires On:
2021-04-06

Updated On:
2020-04-07

clientTransferProhibited

Name Servers:
ns1.namebrightdns.com
ns2.namebrightdns.com

•••
If the nameservers are removed (the domain name goes dark) but the domain name is still registered, it will drop out of the zonefile. But if you just change nameservers, the change will show up. The data used by HosterStats is the data for the first day of each month. Some registrars only require that you update the WHOIS data if it has changed when the domain name is renewed. It is less work for the registrars and the registrant.

Regards...jmcc

•••
got it. Thanks and.....I'm an idiot. I just saw that you ARE HosterStats. lol

Thanks for your input. much appreciated. Great website. I use it alot. it's indispensable to domainers.

•••
hmmm ive not been able to use hs for months now
same way i did for yrs b4
i thought its dead??????

•••
I use it alot to confirm domains that I swear I had registered but it's not mine now. plus to check the history on a domain. how long it was renewed for prior to deleting

been searching for SEO domains for PBN.

•••
Back