IT.COM

Is Dynadot.com Down For You Too?

NameSilo
Watch

Expron

Senior MemberVIP Member
Impact
Hmm,

I've been trying to login to Dynadot.com all night & they seem down. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

I'm out in Chicago, IL USA so - maybe it's a regional thing?

It seems like their API is down as well.

I know they're a smaller company.. Hopefully they get up & going again soon!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess I should be thankful that all of my valuable names are still in my account. I sent dynadot_support a list of the discrepancies in my account and a request to delete three domains that are still well within their grace periods but are either not showing or incorrectly showing in my account. Hopefully this will be done before the grace period expires...

Last edited:
•••
No much., Godaddy is not the best for many of us, and no for money, for the TOS.

By the way i use much moniker...

•••
Last edited:
•••
One domain name missing from my account.
But just reply from Dynadot that they still working to re-add manually, and may take about 24 hours.

•••
john645 said:
Kam, I don't have quite as many but pretty close too it. I also sent them an email. Keep us updated when you get the email response.

Still no reply from dynadot.com.

•••
everyone ought to quit resorting to these mom and pop registrars and just stick with GoDaddy. one problem with domainers is that they try to penny pinch at every opportunity in spite of the implications

The reason why people use Dynadot is because of the DELETE feature...a.k.a. domain tasting....wow, some of you really do this on a large scale. :|

•••
•••
I feel extremly bad after their service back online.

- Dynadot doesn't send a mail to their customers even just say a SORRY
- Dynadot doesn't even post in their websites / support forum to say a SORRY
- Dynadot doesn't tell us anything about their plan on the missed data for Feb 28th registered domains
- Dynadot doesn't reply any emails

That is a really SH*T business manner. We should NOT put any serious domains with Dynadot anymore....

A good lesson for all of us

•••
I unable to open dynadot.com again...

•••
•••
•••
Working for me, too. To think I was finally getting around to trying them out.

Sure would be nice if they announce an apology other than that post in their
forum, much more an explanation and some form of "compensation" to a lot of
their users like credits. Of course, it's up to them to decide how to approach
this.

•••
Still no reply from Dynadot and my account issues have not been addressed. I've also put a hold on all sales of Dynadot domains until I have their 100% assurance that their systems are in order. I don't want to risk any upsets with my buyers. As much as I hate Moniker for charging me to use PayPal and GoDaddy because their interface is so slow, that's where my money is for the time being.

Edit: Two of the missing domains just appeared back in my account! I still had enough time to grace delete them and the refunds have been applied to my account. If anyone else needs to grace delete names that were registered on 27th or 28th Feb but vanished from your accounts, it may be worth checking your accounts for the domains.

The two domains that I grace deleted on 28th Feb that appeared back in my account have now also been removed.

Now I just have one domain with the wrong create date that I therefore cannot delete and a domain that I pushed to another user on 28th back in my account.

Last edited:
•••
Nice email from Dynadot:
Recently our main site dynadot.com was unavailable for a little over 2 days. What happened was that faulty hardware corrupted the superblock of one of our file systems, corrupting it beyond repair. Webhosting, dns servers, website forwarding, parking, and email forwarding were not affected.

Although we had prepared for such a situation by using redundant hardware and performing frequent backups, when it actually happened it took us longer than expected to recover. During this time I was 100% focused on getting the site back up, and neglected to inform you, our customers, what was going on. Those of you who were upset about this lack of communication are completely justified, and I apologize.

This is the first major hardware failure we have ever experienced in our 6 years in business, and we have learned some good lessons. In the coming months we plan to redesign our infrastructure to further increase the fault tolerance of our systems. Secondly, we plan to develop "dynadot.info" to be a system status website hosted at a different data center. This site will have alternative ways to contact us, and a frequently updated blog if our systems ever go down again.

When you run as many servers as we do, and are growing as fast as we are, hardware problems become a "when" rather than a "if". We promise to improve our handling of these situations from now on.

Best Regards,
Todd Han
President
Dynadot

•••
FusionSpy said:
Nice email from Dynadot:

That's great, but I sure didn't get that email. Guess some folks rate an apology and others don't.

Still no answer about what they're doing about domains folks couldn't grace delete.

ripley.

•••
I got the email as well, plus my domains are back in my account. But I know many people out of $$$, $$$$$ because they've exceeded the grace period for deletions. Luckily for me after explaining the enduser the situation and refunded him, he sent payment back to me and sent an extra $200 for being honest and shooting Dynadot's email to him.

Good luck guys!

Calvin

ripley said:
That's great, but I sure didn't get that email. Guess some folks rate an apology and others don't.

Still no answer about what they're doing about domains folks couldn't grace delete.

ripley.

•••
•••
That sound as they are sending the mail in batchs. Think are thousands of customers. We dont know the order of priority (register, maybe), but i am sure nerly all receive the email in some hours.

Last edited:
•••
I have received the email, I must say that it is a nice one, and it takes full responsibility. Moreover, they seem to have learnt the lesson: the announcement that they will create a website especially for keeping people informed is good news. I won't move away my domain names from Dynadot, but I may wait a little bit before moving more domain names to them.

•••
This ordeal has me thinking about SLAs and insurance. I am wondering if dynadot had any insurance in place for a case like this.

Out of curiosity what is a reasonable level of responsibility for the registrar and the domainer when it comes to tasting names?

I would assume that the domain taster must have some responsibility or risk of something going bad and should consider pricing for it? Is there insurance that a taster could get?

•••
imlek said:
One domain name missing from my account.
But just reply from Dynadot that they still working to re-add manually, and may take about 24 hours.

Got my domain back to my account. :)

•••
What has really pissed me off is the complete lack of communication.
It took me 60 seconds to do this post - surely someone at Dynadot could have spent 10 minutes making a simple post at the main domain forums explaining the situation. To say that they were too busy fixing the problems and didn't have time to make any announcements anywhere is complete BS !! Are they saying that over the past few days, not one member of their staff has used the toilet, gone to make a coffee, or stepped outside for a cigerette ?? All those things take longer than to simply copy+paste an explanation in a few forums to reassure their customers about what is happening.

Alex

•••
chader144 said:
Out of curiosity what is a reasonable level of responsibility for the registrar and the domainer when it comes to tasting names?
That depends what both parties can pretty much agree on, other than what's
stated in the agreement.

Sure took a while to notify users, but it's about time. Still some work to do for
certain users, Todd, but good to finally let people know what happened.

•••
I got the email too. It's great, but still the lack of communication during the crash was totally unacceptable.

However, I'm not planning to move my domains somewhere else... It would be too much hassle. :) I believe these things won't happen again.

•••
Fiinally got the same email -- whoever said they were probably sending in batches was probably correct. Just wanted to state that for the record.

ripley.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back