IT.COM

poll Is domaining a scalable business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is domaining a scalable business?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes. Easily!

votes
    41.7%
  • Not at all!

vote
    8.3%
  • Maybe. Maybe not!

votes
    50.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
What do you think of domaining?

If you do, say geo-domains sale and generate $500 a month or $6,000 a year, can you scale it to say, $1,000 a month or $12k a year or is it a totally different game?

Similarly, for any category of domain names like brandable, premium domain and/or other extensions.
What is your opinion and rationale on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not if you plan on being passive, I believe you would have to take an active position.

•••
As with all scaling, test it out small to keep your risk low. Play the $5 blackjack table, then earn your way onto the larger tables. You don't jump from $5 to $500 tables because you have good results on the $5 table. There are different variables at each level, if you don't experience and learn them, they can easily end your endeavor.
If you don't control your risk, your risk will control you.

Last edited:
•••
How much time do you have to spare you can have too many that require work.

•••
Not if you plan on being passive, I believe you would have to take an active position.
What if you start with say x amount. And just keep investing the sales proceeds, given that you have a good research. Being passive works too, in that case (if I understand the right meaning of passive.
Correct me if I am wrong here

As with all scaling, test it out small to keep your risk low. Play the $5 blackjack table, then earn your way onto the larger tables. You don't jump from $5 to $500 tables because you have good results on the $5 table. There are different variables at each level, if you don't experience and learn them, they can easily end your endeavor.
If you don't control your risk, your risk will control you.

Very well said, @E-Promote

How much time do you have to spare you can have too many that require work.
It does. Time is the greatest investment in this business, I believe, More than money.

•••
You can't scale forever, but there is a lot of room to make money if you work hard (and there is a risk also). I couldn't make any profit in the last one year, although I spent about 3 hours per day.. Why
1. Some buyers didn't pay because of invitation for discrimination by big marketplaces (their stupidity or evilness)
2. Not enough (if any) outbounding
3. All earnings were reinvested

So I'm basically scaling in domain direction, not in cash direction, but if I quit probably I can make some maybe big money from selling what I have.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back