IT.COM

debate Is Blockchain.com a 1 word or 2 word domain?

NameSilo
Watch

Is BlockChain - Block Chain one or two word

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • One word

votes
    76.7%
  • Two word

votes
    19.8%
  • Other

votes
    3.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Michael Ehrhardt

Top Member
Impact
Recently sold Block-Chain.com and I am amused about people thinking that Block Chain is one word

It never was one word
It is just habit or laziness

BlockChain originally Block Chain are 2 words

Source

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockchain

A blockchain,[1][2][3] originally block chain,[4][5] is a continuously growing list of records, called blocks, which are linked and secured using cryptography.[1][6] Each block typically contains a cryptographic hash of the previous block,[6] a timestamp and transaction data.[7]By design, a blockchain is inherently resistant to modification of the data. It is "an open, distributed ledger that can record transactions between two parties efficiently and in a verifiable and permanent way".[8] For use as a distributed ledger, a blockchain is typically managed by a peer-to-peer network collectively adhering to a protocol for inter-node communication and validating new blocks. Once recorded, the data in any given block cannot be altered retroactively without the alteration of all subsequent blocks, which requires collusion of the network majority.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Originally it was clearly 2 words. But the field gradually started mainly writing it as one word, and now I would say it was one word. Languages do change over time. The OED give a definition with it as one word, and that is good enough for me!
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/blockchain
Merriam Webster seems to be in agreement with Oxford as well (but then again, the odd couple is seldom caught arguing among themselves):

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blockchain

However, if you look carefully at how both of these dictionaries define 'Blockchain', it appears the only credence in defining the word as a single compound is given to its sole meaning as an open distributed ledger tech:

''A system in which a record of transactions made in bitcoin or another cryptocurrency are maintained across several computers that are linked in a peer-to-peer network.''

And:

'': a digital database containing information (such as records of financial transactions) that can be simultaneously used and shared within a large decentralized, publicly accessible network; also : the technology used to create such a database''

... with
thee above citations lending support to:
Though two words but the tech (Blockchain) has become a single word (combining two words; Block+Chain). Just like Microsoft (Micro+Soft; two words).
Does it mean in a different area of expert knolwedge the use of a single form is not justified, unless it warrants an analogy to the tech context as provided above ?

So, what is DNA ? Is it to be treated as consisting of many block chains or should it be viewed as the blockchains of life ? ;)

Last edited:
•••
@Michael Ehrhardt, This far into discussion, when you still ask a question of whether ´blockchain is a one or two word, are you referring to it being a single compound word that can be spelled in a separated by space form of two (sub-)words (which is one of the 3 permitted forms of spelling it, the other two being fused and hyphenated ones), or are you asking how it’s considered technically, irrespective of the form of its spelling ?

•••
People can not convert how they want

It and was 2 words from the creator

The Oxford dictionary is official as English gets. If they classify it as now one word then it is. If an English word is not in Oxford dictionary then it isn't a word.

Last edited:
•••
@Michael Ehrhardt - Arguing against the evolution of language is like arguing against a hurricane. It's not right or wrong... it just happens. And it doesn't care if you like it or not.

Heck, your own tag on this thread has "blockchain" as one word.

•••
I think one of the underlying reasons for confusion we've experiences on this thread, until a exhaustive definition of compund names was given, was general unawareness of the fact that compound names, being considered as one-words, could be spelled either jointly, through hyphen or separately (spaced out).

•••
The biggest problem here is domainers not knowing that the Oxford Dictionary is the official reference for English.

•••
The biggest problem here is domainers not knowing that the Oxford Dictionary is the official reference for English.
No, Google translate is, but not any translation, just one.

•••
As much as I'd like to agree with this, it's no more an official reference for English than any other popular and respected dictionary. Where are you getting the idea that it's "the official reference for English"? It's published by the Oxford English Press, originating in Oxford, England... but it doesn't make it official. I'm not even sure what defines 'official' for the purpose of English reference.

•••
As much as I'd like to agree with this, it's no more an official reference for English than any other popular and respected dictionary. Where are you getting the idea that it's "the official reference for English"? It's published by the Oxford English Press, originating in Oxford, England... but it doesn't make it official. I'm not even sure what defines 'official' for the purpose of English reference.

It has history and I do realise anyone can publish a dictionary. English certainly originates from England so why look elsewhere for a start.

•••
It has history and I do realise anyone can publish a dictionary. English certainly originates from England so why look elsewhere for a start.
Collins Dictionary is also originates from England :wacky:

Looks like all of the major dictionaries that I've seen list Blockchain as one word.

Last edited:
•••
I cannot find supporting evidence without disrupting my time to much but happy to be disproven if wrong.

•••
English has no official regulatory body, but the Oxford Dictionary is certainly the most trusted/accepted authority worldwide.

This is just one reason why the argument over "blockchain" being one or two words is so silly... English is highly adaptable. It's spoken many different ways in many different countries. The degree of "right" or "wrong" of the particular spelling or usage of any one word (or two words) is determined by the general acceptance of all English speakers.

•••
@Michael Ehrhardt - Arguing against the evolution of language is like arguing against a hurricane. It's not right or wrong... it just happens. And it doesn't care if you like it or not.

I am german - we like - precision- that’s why we build the best cars in the world

Do you use the mans room or the lady’s room ?
Block Chain was created as A Block Of Chain

Facts

•••

Last year I change Facebook
3 years ago I change Sedo
I will change the Internet for sure 🤣

Sample - idn

The phonetic alphabet is on my list too

A = alpha is wrong
A =. Apple A = Ant BUT NOT alpha - this is military nonsense

•••
•••
Blockchain is most definitely compounded into one singled meaning by definition officially one word in modern linguistical description.

•••
I am german - we like - precision- that’s why we build the best cars in the world

Do you use the mans room or the lady’s room ?
Facts
If you like precision so much, you should really try to make arguments that make sense.

•••
•••
Blockchain is most definitely compounded into one singled meaning by definition officially one word in modern linguistical description.
Wrong...

•••
•••
English has no official regulatory body, but the Oxford Dictionary is certainly the most trusted/accepted authority worldwide.

This is just one reason why the argument over "blockchain" being one or two words is so silly... English is highly adaptable. It's spoken many different ways in many different countries. The degree of "right" or "wrong" of the particular spelling or usage of any one word (or two words) is determined by the general acceptance of all English speakers.

Accept it as the Authority or shall we keep making up words to suit ourselves. Before the internet The Oxford Dictionary was the reference nothing has changed. If the official dictionary classes it as one word then it is. There really shouldn't be a debate as no other source comes close.

•••
•••
NamePros are 2 words
Yes namepros is two words as it hasn't been defined as one word in the Oxford Dictionary and likely never will.
Webmaster was recognised as one word made up of two words like blockchain.
blockchainwebmaster could be advertised legally as 2 word domain.

Last edited:
•••
Yes namepros is two words as it hasn't been defined as one word in the Oxford Dictionary and likely never will.
Webmaster was recognised as one word made up of two words like blockchain.
blockchainwebmaster could be advertised legally as 2 word domain.
Who decided this ?
Who decide what is one word or 2 word ?
WHO?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back