IT.COM

debate Is Blockchain.com a 1 word or 2 word domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is BlockChain - Block Chain one or two word

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • One word

votes
    76.7%
  • Two word

votes
    19.8%
  • Other

votes
    3.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Michael Ehrhardt

Top Member
Impact
Recently sold Block-Chain.com and I am amused about people thinking that Block Chain is one word

It never was one word
It is just habit or laziness

BlockChain originally Block Chain are 2 words

Source

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockchain

A blockchain,[1][2][3] originally block chain,[4][5] is a continuously growing list of records, called blocks, which are linked and secured using cryptography.[1][6] Each block typically contains a cryptographic hash of the previous block,[6] a timestamp and transaction data.[7]By design, a blockchain is inherently resistant to modification of the data. It is "an open, distributed ledger that can record transactions between two parties efficiently and in a verifiable and permanent way".[8] For use as a distributed ledger, a blockchain is typically managed by a peer-to-peer network collectively adhering to a protocol for inter-node communication and validating new blocks. Once recorded, the data in any given block cannot be altered retroactively without the alteration of all subsequent blocks, which requires collusion of the network majority.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Though two words but the tech (Blockchain) has become a single word (combining two words; Block+Chain). Just like Microsoft (Micro+Soft; two words).

•••
It's two words - presently, but it'll probably grow to be known as one word in future as usage becomes more common

•••
MySelf would go for the one word option.

•••
in the past (before crypto) it was 2 words, but now it has become a thing and now is considered 1 word

•••
Technically it is and it was always 2 words

Simple - translate it to any language

BlockChain is a China of Blocks - 2 words ❗

•••
Is Facebook one word too ❓

•••
People.... you can not convert 2 Words into 1 word because of laziness 🤣

•••
Facebook is an invented word. It's the name of a company and so should be considered one word.

•••
Facebook is an invented word. It's the name of a company and so should be considered one word.
It’s not invented
It is a Face Book ❗

•••
How is it written in the company's own documents?
How is it recognized legally?
How is the company name registered?

•••
Thinking about it more carefully, I think it's safe to say blockchain is one word already. Cheers.

PS I've updated my vote!

•••
B1548617-A5AF-4E1C-8B32-EC0F0EA73E31.jpeg
87CE5EA5-E865-4477-B0FF-5F497D7EEC6A.jpeg
Keep Life Simple

•••
I'm not going to argue what's one word or two words.
But I'll say this, I think it will be a hard task to try and change the world to type in words such as block-chain instead of blockchain or face-book instead of facebook on the net.
Without the hyphen is established and it's the norm. Well maybe not in Germany and that's ok. It's not about being lazy to me.
This is just my opinion

Last edited:
•••
As others have said, it is now a compound word.

•••
It was originally two words but those two words combined have basically formed their own meaning which makes it now a compound word or one single word.

Compound Words

When two words are used together to yield a new meaning, a compound is formed. Compound words can be written in three ways: as open compounds (spelled as two words, e.g., ice cream), closed compounds (joined to form a single word, e.g., doorknob), or hyphenated compounds (two words joined by a hyphen, e.g., long-term). Sometimes, more than two words can form a compound (e.g., mother-in-law).

The most common spelling quandary writers face is whether to write compounds as separate words, one word, or hyphenated words.

•••
•••
@Michael Ehrhardt Did you notice that "Facebook" the company and "Face book" the type of directory have different entries in Wikipedia?

By the way, congrats on your sale of block-chain.com :)

•••
Is Blockchain.com a 1 word or 2 word Domain❓
"blockchain" is a 1 word in the sense as "raindrop" (for example) is also 1 word although such 1 words are actually a "fusion" of 2 words (and at the end a fusion of letters).

"(.)com" is a 1 word - abbreviation (- TLD) of which stands for "(.)commercial" which is also 1 word.

So the exact definition / answer to your question would be:
"blockchain.com" is a "1 word / (.) / 1 word - abbreviation (- TLD) - domain".

Last edited:
•••
Originally it was clearly 2 words. But the field gradually started mainly writing it as one word, and now I would say it was one word. Languages do change over time. The OED give a definition with it as one word, and that is good enough for me!
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/blockchain

No matter whether one word or two, it is a valuable domain name to hold these days! :xf.smile:

•••
It's a compound word. One word.
Did we all fail English class or just me?

Last edited:
•••
My name is Michael Ehrhardt and not Michaelehrhardt

It is 2 word

Simple

Explain BlockChain ( Block .Chain ) to a child

•••
•••
Back