Domain Empire

debate Is Blockchain.com a 1 word or 2 word domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is BlockChain - Block Chain one or two word

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • One word

votes
    76.7%
  • Two word

votes
    19.8%
  • Other

votes
    3.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Michael Ehrhardt

Top Member
Impact
Recently sold Block-Chain.com and I am amused about people thinking that Block Chain is one word

It never was one word
It is just habit or laziness

BlockChain originally Block Chain are 2 words

Source

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockchain

A blockchain,[1][2][3] originally block chain,[4][5] is a continuously growing list of records, called blocks, which are linked and secured using cryptography.[1][6] Each block typically contains a cryptographic hash of the previous block,[6] a timestamp and transaction data.[7]By design, a blockchain is inherently resistant to modification of the data. It is "an open, distributed ledger that can record transactions between two parties efficiently and in a verifiable and permanent way".[8] For use as a distributed ledger, a blockchain is typically managed by a peer-to-peer network collectively adhering to a protocol for inter-node communication and validating new blocks. Once recorded, the data in any given block cannot be altered retroactively without the alteration of all subsequent blocks, which requires collusion of the network majority.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The biggest problem here is domainers not knowing that the Oxford Dictionary is the official reference for English.

•••
•••
MySelf would go for the one word option.

•••
Facebook is an invented word. It's the name of a company and so should be considered one word.
It’s not invented
It is a Face Book ❗

•••
How is it written in the company's own documents?
How is it recognized legally?
How is the company name registered?

•••
B1548617-A5AF-4E1C-8B32-EC0F0EA73E31.jpeg
87CE5EA5-E865-4477-B0FF-5F497D7EEC6A.jpeg
Keep Life Simple

•••
I'm not going to argue what's one word or two words.
But I'll say this, I think it will be a hard task to try and change the world to type in words such as block-chain instead of blockchain or face-book instead of facebook on the net.
Without the hyphen is established and it's the norm. Well maybe not in Germany and that's ok. It's not about being lazy to me.
This is just my opinion

Last edited:
•••
As others have said, it is now a compound word.

•••
@Michael Ehrhardt Did you notice that "Facebook" the company and "Face book" the type of directory have different entries in Wikipedia?

By the way, congrats on your sale of block-chain.com :)

•••
•••
Historically, the answer is : both.

It started out as Block Chain but like many other phrases, use and language evolves to create more popular singular words that people recognise and accept. Most people aren't tech savvy so will believe that block chain is simply blockchain, known as evolving compounds.

I don't know of anybody who writes "Face Book", it's "Facebook".

Your bias perhaps lays in the fact that you sold the hyphenated domain name.

One of many examples : child care -> child-care -> childcare.

As written above, it's worth looking up the definition of a compound word.

•••
This is a pointless discussion if you're going to bury your head in the sand and ignore the dictionary definition of a compound word and the genuine (not made up, as in your case) compound word examples given.

As for my child? She's Eleven years old and knows what a compound word is. It's called being educated.

•••
•••
Words evolve with time, the same happened with Blockchain.

•••
Words evolve with time, the same happened with Blockchain.

This doesn’t mean that this is correct
It’s not Evolution it is Laziness 🤣

•••
It was - it is and it will be always 2 words
Just logic

Same as
FaceBook
MicroSoft

Or is it unitedstatesofamerica 🤣🤣🤣❓
Depends on the context, there is not an absolute answer. If you are referring to the words block and chain, it is two, of course. If you are referring to the digital ledger in which transactions are recorded, it is one.

"I made myself a necklace out of wooden cubes and metal links. It's a block chain!"

or

"I prefer to keep my blockchain in cold storage for safe-keeping."

United States Of America can not be one word because it is not a thing, it is a place.

•••
It is likely to enter the dictionary soon, so as far as staying ahead of the curve is concerned, it's one word.

It’s not
It never was and it never will be

People you don’t understand the Big Bang
You don’t understand the Block Chain

It is a Chain Of Blocks 🤣

•••
Pluto is a dwarf planet or a planet ❓

Who decided this ?
Who decided it is a planet in the first place? Who decided what a planet is? Why call them planets?
Next time when something is going to be decided, will ask you first.

•••
My name is Michael Ehrhardt and not Michaelehrhardt

It is 2 word

Simple

Explain BlockChain ( Block .Chain ) to a child
If explaining things/concepts to children were the litmus test . . .

I'm not sure what your dog is in this silly argument. Block chain is two single words that form a single compound word and without a doubt a singular concept. Blockchain is a one word domain.

Close and lock this thread . . . nothing else to see here . . .

•••
Last edited:
•••
Tablespoon
Armchair
Airplane
Airport
Internet
Notebook
Homepage
Bathroom
Should I keep adding examples?

•••
Deutschland? And all the something land countries. .

Last edited:
•••
As I wrote before....a pointless and now closed discussion, as it's been clearly demonstrated that blockchain is a compound word. It's okay not to accept dictionary definitions, popular use and acceptance.

•••
We nailed you in this one I'd suggest to accept the fact an move on :)

•••
It is called the etymology of a word.

Alphabet was coined from Alpha and Beta. Today Alphabet is one word.

Facebook was coined from Face and book. Today it's one word.

Just because the origin of a word is coined from 2 separate words, doesn't mean the usage doesn't change. It's similar to how using the word Gay to describe how happy you are is now weird, simply because the usage has changed.

Long and short of it, is that words and languages change over time. Adapting to that change is not laziness. It's why dictionaries are updated frequently.

If you consider that laziness, we might as well stick to the Greek and Latin words which are the original of most of the English we use now.

On that note, I can say that NamePros is one word coined from two.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back