IT.COM

debate Is Blockchain.com a 1 word or 2 word domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is BlockChain - Block Chain one or two word

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • One word

votes
    76.7%
  • Two word

votes
    19.8%
  • Other

votes
    3.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Michael Ehrhardt

Top Member
Impact
Recently sold Block-Chain.com and I am amused about people thinking that Block Chain is one word

It never was one word
It is just habit or laziness

BlockChain originally Block Chain are 2 words

Source

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockchain

A blockchain,[1][2][3] originally block chain,[4][5] is a continuously growing list of records, called blocks, which are linked and secured using cryptography.[1][6] Each block typically contains a cryptographic hash of the previous block,[6] a timestamp and transaction data.[7]By design, a blockchain is inherently resistant to modification of the data. It is "an open, distributed ledger that can record transactions between two parties efficiently and in a verifiable and permanent way".[8] For use as a distributed ledger, a blockchain is typically managed by a peer-to-peer network collectively adhering to a protocol for inter-node communication and validating new blocks. Once recorded, the data in any given block cannot be altered retroactively without the alteration of all subsequent blocks, which requires collusion of the network majority.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Blockchain is a word. Not two. If it was two you would write block chain. The word is comprised of two words. Like wonderful. Checklist. Speeddate. But not like hot chocolate.

•••
It is two words. For example in .com extension "chain dot com" would be a higher value than "blockchain dot com". Both, are super high value!

•••
•••
I also learned something from the trolling if that’s what it is. In swedish, my native tongue, you can put 2 or 3 words together and it is a new word per se. Even if it is not widely used. If a bird watcher was eating a sandwich, it would not be wrong to call that sandwich a ”birdwatchersandwich”. That would be a word. The rule is that words are not splitted up when writing. If they are, things can get semantically very confusing.

The rule in english is somewhat the opposite, even though I think the trend on this is changing, probably a bit because of the nature of domain names and loan word influence.

Nevertheless. Bitcoin is a word.

•••
Here is your proof

E1F71B97-2B37-452A-81D0-3E6646812BB9.jpeg

Trolling at the highest level lol.
I gave you proof that Google considers blockchain as a single word.

•••
One more time
Satoshi Nakamoto invented a Block Chain ❗
Are you still on this matter! Is there any other things you want to benefit from this unnecessary argumentation. Why not leave this alone and use your valuable time to find other things doing.

I think mode should close this thread for once and for all

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
in the past (before crypto) it was 2 words, but now it has become a thing and now is considered 1 word

•••
Technically it is and it was always 2 words

Simple - translate it to any language

BlockChain is a China of Blocks - 2 words ❗

•••
Is Facebook one word too ❓

•••
People.... you can not convert 2 Words into 1 word because of laziness 🤣

•••
Facebook is an invented word. It's the name of a company and so should be considered one word.

•••
•••
So the term Block Chain ( Blockchain ) is detected german ?

Google say so

Translated to English Block Chain 2 words

Last edited:
•••
146BF42C-5244-42D0-AAEF-68D85A44F8DB.png
Blockchain was invented from Satoshi Nakamoto
So it is Japanese 🇯🇵

•••
•••
It was - it is and it will be always 2 words
Just logic

Same as
FaceBook
MicroSoft

Or is it unitedstatesofamerica 🤣🤣🤣❓

•••
Simple : translate it ❗
Explain it to your Child ❗

2 word it’s a chain of blocks 🔗

Historically, the answer is : both.

It started out as Block Chain but like many other phrases, use and language evolves to create more popular singular words that people recognise and accept. Most people aren't tech savvy so will believe that block chain is simply blockchain, known as evolving compounds.

I don't know of anybody who writes "Face Book", it's "Facebook".

Your bias perhaps lays in the fact that you sold the hyphenated domain name.

One of many examples : child care -> child-care -> childcare.

As written above, it's worth looking up the definition of a compound word.

•••
This is a pointless discussion if you're going to bury your head in the sand and ignore the dictionary definition of a compound word and the genuine (not made up, as in your case) compound word examples given.

As for my child? She's Eleven years old and knows what a compound word is. It's called being educated.
You even don’t know who named America first
You don’t know who was the first King ever
And you wanna tell me about education ?

•••
Facebook and blockcain are one word domains now, hence dictionaries has recognized them as one word.. they were previously 2 words but you can no longer take them as two words anymore. For example "roommate" is a one word, classroom is a one word but when you looks at it critically they were all two words, but they have all been adopted by dictionaries as one word and there are no difference to that of facebook and so is Blockchain also
Besides that there are many two words that have been changed to one word due to their usages and nothing else.

Even if they are compound words: it meant one word if they can not break them individually.
That is my conviction and nothing can change that.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back