Dynadot

.info .info domains ~ Domaining Mistakes?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I see this very frequently:
Domainers who register a .info domain name when the .net, .org, and sometimes even .com extensions of the name are available. I'm suprised they even ask for an appraisal, since it obviously isn't worth more than $8, since .com, .net, .org is more universally known, and available. If anyone is interested in the name, they can just go and register one of the "better" extensions. This is probably the case because .info registrations cost fairly cheap. They need to figure out that won't be able to sell the domain for "big bucks," and probably even registration fee. If they want to make money with domains, they're going to need to take a chance, and spend a few dollars more (which isn't very much anyways.) IMO, registering a domain when the "better" extensions are available is POINTLESS and a waste of money.

Just my opinion...

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You are wrong there.

Informative sites may prefer to use .info

Yes, they may not be of value now but it will still pick up.

•••
.infos are a category on their own. As tsj5j, they are great for informative websites. IE, if you want to develop a website providing information about cancer, a .com doesn't even fit the word, while cancer.info makes a lot more sense. Medical information websites and any information oriented website makes a lot more sense if it's a .info, IMHO.

•••
^^^

A perfect example of someone proving my point.
I hate those who look down on info just because its cheaper to register.

•••
The extension is there, but I think the business models that will really differentiate this namespace are still to catch fire.

Google's mission is "organizing the world's information". However, the way Google gathers this information is still pretty much a hit-and-miss affair.

http://www.optimizemag.com/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=170701067

Business models that value-add to search by establishing and creating intellgent metadata contexting around specific categories, thereby making search much more productive, is the way moving forward.

.INFO domains, in this context, seems to be the most meaningful gTLD extension to represent projects like these. Huge collections of keywords, metacontexted by category, syntaxed with URL, and powered by semantic web logic, can and will represent the emerging future of intelligent search.

This alludes to the premise that .INFO extension may, and a big may, be most useful and differentiated where the sum is greater than its parts. To string together the critical mass of keyword completeness in each category on namespaces like .COM is financially and practically impossible. To do this keyword stringing on .INFO namespace is plausible, but even then can be extremely expensive for popular categories.

So the next time a metadata domainer (like me :) ) humbly approaches you to sell your .INFO domain for $500, please help the .INFO cause by saying okay.

•••
.infos might be usefu/good for some people. :)

•••
.info's are "the" way to go, IMO, for informational sites. Picking up the so-called "better" ext after you've acquired the .info is simply a bonus.

Good quality developed .info's will eventually surpass the value of the identical .com and you can quote me on that. ;)

•••
I've got to agree with dgridley, I believe that the .info's will be worth just as much as any other extension in the future. Right now though they can be aquired at bargain prices so it may well be in the future that the guys who load up on .info's now will be the ones laughing all the way to the bank later.

•••
For information sites, .info is getting more and more sort after imo.

I am a fan of them and hold many i.e quitdrugs.info.

People looking for information WILL start turning to .info :hehe:

•••
I often add "info" as one of my search keywords.. definitely one of the better suited ext IMO for many applications.

•••
you are wrong....info's values will increase ...i seen a info sold for 300 bucks..

•••
asianinvasion said:
Domainers who register a .info domain name when the .net, .org, and sometimes even .com extensions of the name are available. I'm suprised they even ask for an appraisal, since it obviously isn't worth more than $8, since .com, .net, .org is more universally known, and available. If anyone is interested in the name, they can just go and register one of the "better" extensions. This is probably the case because .info registrations cost fairly cheap. They need to figure out that won't be able to sell the domain for "big bucks," and probably even registration fee. If they want to make money with domains, they're going to need to take a chance, and spend a few dollars more (which isn't very much anyways.) IMO, registering a domain when the "better" extensions are available is POINTLESS and a waste of money.

Just my opinion...

The Ugly Sisters really are Cinderella and they WILL go to the ball! 8^X

•••
Apparently .info's are very popular in germany already

•••
Info's Pointless ,Waste of money

Yes ,I agree

Note to self ,BFT,Send all that lovely money earned on those pointless .infos back to CJ, LinkSHare, Shareasale, Adsense, Amazon ,Mediaplazza as it was all a mistake.

Last edited:
•••
This argument obviously has two sides: i agree with asianinvasion in that many people reg .info's that are more suited to .coms when the .com is free. But i can see that .info's will grow in popularity where a) the .com isnt available or b) as pointed out, the topic is more suited to straight information.

I have my doubts as to whether .info will ever be a *regular* $x,xxx earner tho. ICANN have so many potential extensions on the schedule that they'll just end up being one of hundreds of options in years to come.

•••
Barefoottech said:
Yes ,I agree

Note to self ,BFT,Send all that money back to CJ, LinkSHare, Shareasale, Adsense, Amazon ,Mediaplazza as it was all a mistake.
Seems like a lot of people can't read...

I never said .info domains were worth "nothing." I stated that there are many people who register and attempt to sell .info domains even though there are more universally-known extensions available. It's pretty obvious that they do this because of the pricing. If .info domains costed the same, would this happen as frequently? I doubt it, since "most" people would register a .net over a .info at the same price.

Here's an example: ForumMods.info
There's an appraisal for mid$xx for this domain.
The .net and .org extensions are available to register.
Most people would think that these extensions are "better."
Will the seller have a hard time selling this domain? Probably, since the .net and .org are available for $8.
There may be an occasional buyer who "needs" the .info extension, but most people don't.
So, you're going to pay more for .info domain that pay less for the same domain with a "better" extension?

If you can't read/comprehend the original post, please don't bother posting.
Also, don't post crap like "you're wrong," since I originally stated "Just my opinion..."

•••
I have .infos for information sites and even run several high earning stores off of .info domains. If i were to sell any of my .info domains, regardless if they have the .com, .net, or .org available at $4.19 from Godaddy I guarantee I'd get my investment back multiple times over where as I'm sure I'd get less if I had the .org of them.

•••
Personally I think the value of ForumMods comes from the fact it IS suited to the .info ext... but that's just my opinion. I might search for forum mods using "forum mods info", so there you have it.

asianinvasion said:
Seems like a lot of people can't read...

I never said .info domains were worth "nothing." I stated that there are many people who register and attempt to sell .info domains even though there are more universally-known extensions available. It's pretty obvious that they do this because of the pricing. If .info domains costed the same, would this happen as frequently? I doubt it, since "most" people would register a .net over a .info at the same price.

Here's an example: ForumMods.info
There's an appraisal for mid$xx for this domain.
The .net and .org extensions are available to register.
Most people would think that these extensions are "better."
Will the seller have a hard time selling this domain? Probably, since the .net and .org are available for $8.
There may be an occasional buyer who "needs" the .info extension, but most people don't.
So, you're going to pay more for .info domain that pay less for the same domain with a "better" extension?

If you can't read/comprehend the original post, please don't bother posting.
Also, don't post crap like "you're wrong," since I originally stated "Just my opinion..."

•••
i dont understand. why people measuring info domains as an last version to go, when net and coms are taken????? Every extension has its own purpose. You cannot say that com is better always. Sometimes word fits info much better, than it fits other extensions. if i want to get info about music for example, i would go to music.info first. if i want to buy music i would go to music.com. its so simple.

•••
Addendum to my reply
Would I purchase an info if net/org was available
YES , Very much so even at same price
IF the name fitted the extension

One thing I do agree with AsianInvasion on .
Buying an .info and expecting that it is suddenly worth $xxxx
Is not realistic , especially if other exts still unregged.
But the same thing applies to all exts
No one would Pay $xxxx for a .net if any other ext. including .info was still available

Last edited:
•••
I see little value in .info and if you have any especially 3 letter or one word you really should let them drop.

p.s. Please post them here before you let them go, better still pm me and I will warn others of the dangers associated with this 3rd rate extension:laugh:

•••
gugush said:
i dont understand. why people measuring info domains as an last version to go, when net and coms are taken????? Every extension has its own purpose. You cannot say that com is better always. Sometimes word fits info much better, than it fits other extensions. if i want to get info about music for example, i would go to music.info first. if i want to buy music i would go to music.com. its so simple.
Most non-domainers have never even heard of the .info extension, so I doubt that would be the same case with general surfers that don't know much about the industry...

•••
asianinvasion said:
Most non-domainers have never even heard of the .info extension, so I doubt that would be the same case with general surfers that don't know much about the industry...

The World Wide Web is infinitely big, with only an estimated 10-12% of all traffic coming from direct type-ins, and that includes people who directly type in google.com, amazon.com and ebay.com (and namepros.com for folks here) because they know it so well.

Domainers opinions are influenced by what they see immediately around them, so if they see .DE all the time, they think .DE is the most familiar name. I would venture that 80%+ of all the so-called "general surfers" never even heard of the .DE extension.

This myopic view of domains is akin to the frog in the well, who sees life as only one color - slime green. Every domainer in this forum knows about the extensions .INFO and .BIZ.

Some do their homework and can see springy development happening in different corners of the Internet eg, Google search : 'site.info info'.

Others rely on blanket thinking, geesh, .COM is worth a lot more, .INFO prices seem to be lame, therefore something is wrong with this namespace. And btw, "My mom and closest friends haven't heard about this extension, so it IS lame".

As recent as 1995, most people couldn't see the value of .COM. Even today, domaining is a very niched business/hobby, and most people can't appreciate why domainers are doing what they are doing except as profiteering cybersquats and pirates of other people's TMs.

The point is simply this, the Internet is expanding exponentially and businesses need URLs that don't cost them $3,888 at BuyDomains or the 5/6/7 figures that domainers smoking weed like to fantasize they can get for their names.

•••
well normally i get to know about a site through either search engines like google, msn or through other forums. either way i dont just make up a domain, append .com to the end and hope that works. so theoretically there should be no problem with what your domain ends with. .com, .net and .org have been around for a long time and so doest feel weird. in a few years .info will be like that too :)
also what about new domains like .tv, .eu etc ? :hehe:

Last edited:
•••
asianinvasion said:

Just my opinion...

I agree with you re .com. I also agree that it is difficult to speculate on a .info if the other extensions are still free, but I think in most cases we reg the .info if the other extensions .org and .net are taken. Some will reg the .info if the .org is still available.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back