Dynadot

.info .org or .info?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've done a few searches on here as to find what the best extension is out of the two, .org or .info. Some people say .info is better for LLL, LNL etc. type domains, so here is my question.

If a name is available in both .org and .info and the .com, .net are taken, which one would you go for? And why also.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
qwhois said:
I've done a few searches on here as to find what the best extension is out of the two, .org or .info. Some people say .info is better for LLL, LNL etc. type domains, so here is my question.

If a name is available in both .org and .info and the .com, .net are taken, which one would you go for? And why also.
In my opinion if your looking at just the value of the domain or how much you can sell if for both .org & .info are about the same value, with .org maybe being slightly less value due to it not being as flexable as .info. Personally I would always .info over .org

•••
It does depend on the domain, but I'd still always plump for .org.

•••
JasMate said:
Personally I would always .info over .org
Same here.
In addition to the points that you have made, .info is usually cheaper to register.

•••
In .org it is hard to find good words as it was one of original 3 when the net was still very young. COM then NET then ORG. I find many of those 3 regged with the .info and the rest left open. I would say the .ORG is better with .info coming in after. Why? Because .info is still not really recognized by the outside world, you don't hear of it, only in the domainers world.

But why not reg them both...they are still both cheap.

•••
Kerrijo said:
In .org it is hard to find good words as it was one of original 3 when the net was still very young. COM then NET then ORG. I find many of those 3 regged with the .info and the rest left open. I would say the .ORG is better with .info coming in after. Why? Because .info is still not really recognized by the outside world, you don't hear of it, only in the domainers world.

But why not reg them both...they are still both cheap.
Yes good point! Didn't think about that when I posted my reply. I guess .info will become more and more popular as time goes on but for sure .org is more recognisable in peoples minds.

•••
JasMate said:
Yes good point! Didn't think about that when I posted my reply. I guess .info will become more and more popular as time goes on but for sure .org is more recognisable in peoples minds.

Thank you! :) I do hope more businesses and schools will start to use the .info, I think it's a great extension!

•••
Kerrijo said:
... I do hope more businesses and schools will start to use the .info, I think it's a great extension!
Schools: http://www.ncstate.info/ :)

Yes, reg both though I'm partial to .info. Both are very good extensions.

•••
To me .info is only better in the situation where you are buying with the intension of reselling for a small profit in the following months and you are paying very low prices for your .info name (e.g. regfly - $0.60)

However, if expect to hold onto the name for more than 6 months go with the .org.

•••
Info when it's applicable (informational) IMO.. I'd normally choose .info 9 times out of 10 so long as the domain fits the intent of the ext. I'm not a big fan of .org and have never owned one.

•••
you are looking for a general rule which does not apply.....
the name will determine the appropriate extension if building a WS.
....however....an appropriate .org will generally have a higher value than an appropriate .info, which is not the same thing as saying always take a .org.

...hmmm must read the original question more closely....for LLL etc take the .org.....this IS a case of all things being equal IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
I've only ever seen one .info advertised I think - cyprus.info (hmm, maybe it wasn't as that url is dead!)

Then again, in the UK you don't see many .orgs either.

•••
As for a name fitting both TLDS, I would choose .org.
.info traffic is surely less than .info one, no doubt.

•••
I would go for .info over .org. I do think .info is better for LLL, LNL etc. type domains.

•••
Personally , id go for .info as it doesnt hurt the pocket much & is growing very rapidly :)

•••
I would go with .info probably about 7 out of every 10 times, but it really depends. It also depends on your intentions for the domain. If you want to develop a content based site (i.e. information) than the .info extention fits perfectly, and is cheaper to register. That being said if you have something like an arcade domain name, the .org would probably be better as I think it fits the content better. If you are simply reselling then it probably doesn't matter, but if you can't get both, go with the .info in most cases...

Tom

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back