IT.COM

.info Why in your opinion the .info tld isn't fairing well

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

wo

Established Member
Impact
I've always felt that the .info TLD has the potential of being a pretty good extension, but it's very poorly managed.

Many times when I find a domain that I like, the .info is available, even when the .com .net .org are registered since 2000 and 2006.

Something about the .info is dragging it down. The only thing I can think of is the registry itself, i.e. the management of the .info tld itself.

As an example, .net has done a really aggressive job promoting their tld. In most domaining courses, they tell you to grab the .com, and if not available, get the .net as it's almost just as good (especially for generic terms). But I honestly never felt .net made sense as an extension. Yet, they seem to be doing very well.

So what are your thoughts on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Meant for instance ,i believe the idea that popular rough o study to kind in arrange to converse is primitive at most excellent so IMHO say creditworthy velveteen adopt will move the example and thus have a theatrical crash on Domingo and all the TLDS .s
THE info TLd seems alternative i am worn to TLDs that are three letters long to the side as a person with nation represented is too a thing that citizen wait for .Data site to provide a short educational impression of an thing.

•••
Whenever you give a customer a web address, it is assumed to be .com. When you have to tell them it is .net, .org, .info, .co (not .com), or anything else.... they have to remember yet another thing.... then they start asking.... why didn't you get the .com?

If you tell them it is not avail, they will go check out the .com anyway to see what is there.

.info while it is acceptable for web information, I would not want to put it on my business card. I would rather take a different, or even brandable .com, then a keyword .info.

•••
Low initial pricing and lack of developed websites are likely the cause of the drop. I owned a bunch of them when I started out and dropped them all. Paying $10 renewal on a $1 registration didn't sit well with me. The complete lack of interest from endusers resulted in 0 sales and trying to sell them to domainers for $2 each was a waste of my time.

That being said the extension should have value for news aggregators and sites competing with newspapers/news organizations.

*Note-I say should, not necessarily will.

•••
Serious dilution.
There r at least 8 tlds struggling under the sun.
And now the new ones will make things even worse.
It may affect .com as well.

•••
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with .info TLDs. I have managed to rank .info domains before. I see that ranking websites that ends with .info is the same with .com and .net. I guess problems lie on the webmaster or the domainer themselves if they judge .info wrongly or if they don't properly exert effort on increasing the value of their website.

Zidane

•••
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with .info TLDs. I have managed to rank .info domains before. I see that ranking websites that ends with .info is the same with .com and .net. I guess problems lie on the webmaster or the domainer themselves if they judge .info wrongly or if they don't properly exert effort on increasing the value of their website.

Zidane
I own a ton of dot info's, Also never had a problem ranking them. When I build the sites I make sure to include in huge letters in the header banner .INFO I only use them for information sites, but i get a lot of type ins. On one of them I am about to overtake the dot com. If people want info on that subject they come to me, if people want an irrelevant site they can go to the .com and come back to mine. Its all about how you portray it, build the traffic, offer great information and then you can add in later a few ways to make more money. I have had requests to buy t-shirts of my header banner.
As for selling .info's I think the value will go up, if not I will just keep making money developing them :) Its one of the few tld's that actually say what the site is about in the extension. Nobody knows that .mobi is for mobile friendly sites. Dot org is a good descriptive tld imo. But not as good as .INFO imo, unless you really are an Organization.

•••
I may be wrong, but I believe that I have been seeing for some time, a steady amount of quality name (one word or popular two word) .infos, at higher than usual volume being put up for sale. Some selling well. At one in particular platform, Flippa, for instance.

I was thinking days earlier, is there some revival, increase in popularity, etc. going on at this time?

Last edited:
•••
I think the main reason the .info is not creating that much noise in the market is because it is not being marketed properly. If the registry is just more creative and aggressive in marketing the said extension then it would have had an opportunity to grow.

•••
What would be good ways to promote .info?

•••
I agree with Raider Girl and others that the .info extension sort of implies that you will find *information* at this website, not necessarily corporate/sales/merchant content. It's just a feeling, that the .info gives me - it is different that a .com gives me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back