Dynadot

.info .info domains ~ Domaining Mistakes?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I see this very frequently:
Domainers who register a .info domain name when the .net, .org, and sometimes even .com extensions of the name are available. I'm suprised they even ask for an appraisal, since it obviously isn't worth more than $8, since .com, .net, .org is more universally known, and available. If anyone is interested in the name, they can just go and register one of the "better" extensions. This is probably the case because .info registrations cost fairly cheap. They need to figure out that won't be able to sell the domain for "big bucks," and probably even registration fee. If they want to make money with domains, they're going to need to take a chance, and spend a few dollars more (which isn't very much anyways.) IMO, registering a domain when the "better" extensions are available is POINTLESS and a waste of money.

Just my opinion...

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So many people talk about .info.
I want to know how about .biz?
Any idea?

•••
•••
dgridley said:
Good quality developed .info's will eventually surpass the value of the identical .com and you can quote me on that. ;)

dude, we will be quoting you on that for the next 100 years.

•••
snoop said:

priceless! :hehe:

•••
snoop said:

ley is referring to developed .INFOs, as opposed the PPC seaweed choked namespace we know as .COM.

•••
If the .com is availiable, I always go the route, but my second choice is increasingly becoming .info. I imagine this preference will remain even if they raise wholesale prices at the end of this year.

•••
mole said:
ley is referring to developed .INFOs, as opposed the PPC seaweed choked namespace we know as .COM.

so what exactly is the comparison then, that a developed site might eventually sell for more than a park page domain?? if that is the case it isn't much of a prediction.

•••
true.

but i haven see a really developed .info site, that worth really a bomb

can someone tell me ?

•••
well, last year i registered infos which the .coms were taken, but i later picked up... which was really cool.

see, i think the reall problem with .info domains is that domainers aren't using always using .info for "info" people aren't always using .biz for "business".

i think it may have been a good idea to come up with different extensions for a various purposes....but it's all becomming dilluted....so really, what's the point? Why have different categories if they aren't going to be used properly?

:yell:

•••
Isis said:
well, last year i registered infos which the .coms were taken, but i later picked up... which was really cool.

see, i think the reall problem with .info domains is that domainers aren't using always using .info for "info" people aren't always using .biz for "business".

i think it may have been a good idea to come up with different extensions for a various purposes....but it's all becomming dilluted....so really, what's the point? Why have different categories if they aren't going to be used properly?

:yell:

I agree.

Time is all it needs.
Everything needs time to pickup, and infos are development is quite fast in fact.

•••
haha

it was quick because they offer registration of 25 .infos for free 1 year ago.

so ya, if .biz were to do it, it will too develop quickly.

•••
Isis said:

I think it boils down to the quality of keywords on the left of the dot. Many .INFO speculators have very nice keywords, which are not available on the .COM namespace unless you are Donald Trump with a couple of hundred thousand to throw on a name, or buy out a company.

•••
mellowmasher said:
For information sites, .info is getting more and more sort after imo.

I am a fan of them and hold many i.e quitdrugs.info.

People looking for information WILL start turning to .info :hehe:

....I hope you're right Michelle...and how about "Joe Public" who only consult the kid's pc when they want information on certain subjects?......they dont know a .com from a .net....

Last edited:
•••
...talking of .info....go to appraisals please, where I've put up a couple...

•••
charbar said:
....I hope you're right Michelle...and how about "Joe Public" who only consult the kid's pc when they want information on certain subjects?......they dont know a .com from a .net....
Yes they don't know about .com's anymore than .info's
Most Casual Surfers and a large number type in a Search query using Google or some other Search engine.
They then click a selection from the resultant listings.
This can be just as likely to be a .info , .biz ,ccTld et al, as a .com.
It can often be a Keyword Indexed Subdomain or subdirectory of a non Keyword Indexed Domain name.
It could even be the indexed title of a BLOG.
Often a Keyword rich Filename is what is Clicked.
So all this Bull about only .com's Are usable is exactly that. BULL

•••
virgil said:
.infos are a category on their own. As tsj5j, they are great for informative websites. IE, if you want to develop a website providing information about cancer, a .com doesn't even fit the word, while cancer.info makes a lot more sense. Medical information websites and any information oriented website makes a lot more sense if it's a .info, IMHO.

You make excellent points. I totally agree with you 100%. :)

•••
Well it is up to the individual of what he/she does with the domain.

and we cant predict things. Some .infos are worth the price so we can never say...

Untitled

•••
I think this is one debate which we will just have to "wait and see" :imho:

•••
mellowmasher said:
I think this is one debate which we will just have to "wait and see" :imho:

You can "wait and see", or you can be a "visionaire" and "see, don't wait".

.INFO was one of three true blue gTLD launched 15 years later to join the .COM, .NET and .ORG family of primary top level domains and not some third world country ccTLD assigned by IANA when the web was young.

There aren't any other gTLDs in the foreseeable horizon, all the other new extensions like .jobs, .travel and .mobi are sTLDs (sponsored-restricted).

•••
which extension is suitable for a domain and which is not can only be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. there's no universal rule that information sites would be better off with a .info ext. All depends on the word, both the written word and phonetically ... how it sounds when you say it aloud ... does it sound okay ? does it sound weird ..... there are many other factors .... there's no general rule.

•••
sm said:
which extension is suitable for a domain and which is not can only be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. there's no universal rule that information sites would be better off with a .info ext. All depends on the word, both the written word and phonetically ... how it sounds when you say it aloud ... does it sound okay ? does it sound weird ..... there are many other factors .... there's no general rule.
Can you back up your assertion by giving some examples where truly *informational* sites are not best suited with .info?

•••
Even companies with .com see a role for their information side of things;
http://www.sap.info and http://www.sap.com

The business models that will really put the .INFO URL on fire as unique information networks that make perfect sense will come..

While you are waiting, check out one of .INFO's top sites, http://www.microbes.info

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back