Dynadot

discuss I’m doing all my domaining with a tablet. What about you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
I used my iMac for all my domaining business before, but now I’ve switched to an iPad. So instead of sitting at my desk with my computer, I’m now semi-sitting in my sofa with my tablet. Still, I try to work the same amount of hours per day.

It seems to work very well. Most of the websites I use are adapted for mobile platforms nowadays.

What about you? Are you mainly using your computer, your tablet, or your smartphone for your domaining? Or a mix of devices?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
23" Desktop on Linux.
I don't like small displays. And, probably, will switch to 4K screen next year.

•••
Laptop during the day, tablet at night. I'm amazed how you can do everything with just those two. I rarely sit in front of a desktop computer anymore. The great thing about this business is you can do it from anywhere in the world as long as you have internet access.

When I travel I bring a Chromebook, a Kindle Fire HD 8 and my 2 cell phones. It all fits in a slim laptop bag and weighs almost nothing even with power cords.

If I reach a point where I can live off domaining I am going to close down my web hosting business and travel all around the USA for a year with just my little device collection and do domaining from where ever I stop.

Last edited:
•••
I use mainly my phone and an ipad but occasionally a laptop too.

Its good that you're able to sit on your sofa and be productive. Some people need to be sat at a desk to get into the working frame of mind and not get distracted. I know someone who started out working from home and ended up renting an office space so he could "drive to work" which increased his productivity.

•••
No at a minimum a laptop (MacBook Pro) is needed for any serious internet or computer work. I also have a dual screen iMac Pro which is even more preferable.

Interestingly when on the go I just use an iPhone X (versus an iPad) but it’s definitely not as easy to use for say, research of domain prices with follow up of postings on a for sale forum or with emails to a potential buyer, as the laptop or desktop.

I think if you’re on the go using the most handheld device (smart phone) is what’s called for. If you’re stationary why go halfway to a tablet (iPad) why not all the way to using a laptop or desktop.

The main advantage to laptop / desktop is ability to open multiple windows simultaneously and refer or copy/paste between them. You don’t get that with a phone or tablet - one just has a larger screen but both are equally limited in the multi department. I see no point in the tablet at all for on the go serious work.

•••
Nothing beats a good desk (chair keyboard mouse) and a large screen.
With proper desktops it's like you're in command of something lol.
You get more comfort and focus, you can do more things, and everything is easier like opening a new tab.
A laptop on a desk is a different experience.

•••
Another domainer/developer checking in :) PC is hidden behind the screens.

277241F6-41E0-4818-AE28-3CF28D329D13.jpeg

•••
I'm still using a desktop. I'd like to transition to a tablet or laptop but I cant see it happening anytime soon.

•••
I mostly use a PC (Linux of course). I do lots of stuff at the same time like development so I need a keyboard and a large screen.
I have even bought a pocket computer to use while on the move (yeah it's back to the 80s here).

•••
Are you mainly using your computer, your tablet, or your smartphone for your domaining?

Got 3 towers, lots of wires and 5 monitors...all pc...and bought about 20 old school keyboards from a local university a couple years ago...I am addicted to the sound and feel of those heavy keyboards!

•••
I upgraded, about 1.5yrs ago, from my beloved linux openSUSE hand build desktop to a top of the line Intel NUC 4.5" square box, with Windows 10. I'm not sure I really liked the term upgrade. For the hardware it was definitely an upgrade. I think it's been quite a mixed blessing in terms of the software. I think I actually prefer the more limited choices with linux software that the multitude array of software for Windows. The biggest 2 things on my desk are the wireless printer (hardly ever used but necessary all the same), and my power backup. My computer is on 24/7. I live in a hot and humid country. So I also have 2 desktop fans, which take it in turns to cool the NUC (to preserve/elongate it's life). Same 26" Samsung Monitor. I often yearn for the simpler life with openSUSE linux. Life was so much simpler, then. No decisions needed between 20 or more AV programs, running from the inexpensive, to the extortionate, yearly. With all sorts of additions thrown into the mix. This is just 1 example.

•••
•••
But i hope to settle down a bit in the months to come so i will get myself a nice desktop, big monitor and everything.

If you don't game, these little micro-PCs are insanely small, fast and quiet. I've got a 6-core i7-8700 slapped inside a case the size of an old android media player, and it's sooooo fast it's not funny and it's dead silent as well. Couple that with a nice 32" UHD monitor and you have the space to monitor and duplicate monitor multiple screens, and you can ramp up productivity. Not that expensive either, around $750 US for the entire setup on sale.

•••
Thank you very much for all the answers! Interesting.

I will try this:

THIS WEEK: Spend 50 hours of work, only using my tablet.
NEXT WEEK: Spend 50 hours of work, only using my big screen computer.

I will do pretty much the same thing both weeks. After this, I will let you know my thoughts.

•••
Yeah, no. I like screens. Big screens. Telephones were meant for talking. People that like to squint, or looking at small items, well, maybe they're used to it. Looking down and all.. squinting to make sure they're aiming properly.

^ : just joshing : < : kind of :

Desktop for me. Its nice, because instead of spending $500 every two weeks on a new squint, I can keep my 23" of visual real estate and perhaps replace about $50 every 5 years for a new part.

•••
I have become terribly attached with my laptop that whenever I'm using my mobile phone, it's usually like I'm not doing anything meaningful until I switch to my laptop

Same here :). Working mindset awakes when I seat in front of my laptop.

•••
A wide, wide mix - home mini-PC + 32" UHD display in main office, Microsoft Surface for portable computing/tablet, Dell Latitude for the upstairs office, iPhone while watching TV/movies.

•••
•••
OK I think you have made most of us pretty envious @Michael ! Wow what a setup!

•••
Most of the time laptop, sometimes smartphone. I work better with laptop, when i get tired i use smartphone.

•••
Sensitive info ( pass/banks etc..) only desktop :xf.wink:
Advertising both: desktop & mobile phone

•••
Laptop. I would like to work on desktop but frankly i don't even have one now, since my old one died after grid jump caused by thunderstorm a few years ago, and i didn't buy a new one because i travel a lot and am hardly in one place for more than couple months now, so having a desktop would have a little sense. But i hope to settle down a bit in the months to come so i will get myself a nice desktop, big monitor and everything.

Can't imagine working on phone. Every time i'm out and there is an auction and i'm on the phone - it's a PAIN.

•••
I'm going to go ahead and buy an ipad tonight, should be here tomorrow. Haven't checked in awhile but they're pretty cheap.

Latest model
32 GB - $249.99
128 GB - $329.00

Now to find a cool case.

•••
I spent more time looking for a case, almost 4 hours, than the iPad itself.

Both coming today.

Case, over 2000 reviews, 4.9 out of 5, watched a couple of videos that sealed the deal - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NVZ2QM/

This video sealed it:

Last edited:
•••
Another thing about typing (it’s more like pecking) on a phone or tablet is that over time with heavy use you’ll pay - with orthopedic issues with your finger. Not necessarily permanent injury but trust me you’ll feel it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back