Dynadot

discuss I’m doing all my domaining with a tablet. What about you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
I used my iMac for all my domaining business before, but now I’ve switched to an iPad. So instead of sitting at my desk with my computer, I’m now semi-sitting in my sofa with my tablet. Still, I try to work the same amount of hours per day.

It seems to work very well. Most of the websites I use are adapted for mobile platforms nowadays.

What about you? Are you mainly using your computer, your tablet, or your smartphone for your domaining? Or a mix of devices?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Laptop during the day, tablet at night. I'm amazed how you can do everything with just those two. I rarely sit in front of a desktop computer anymore. The great thing about this business is you can do it from anywhere in the world as long as you have internet access.

When I travel I bring a Chromebook, a Kindle Fire HD 8 and my 2 cell phones. It all fits in a slim laptop bag and weighs almost nothing even with power cords.

If I reach a point where I can live off domaining I am going to close down my web hosting business and travel all around the USA for a year with just my little device collection and do domaining from where ever I stop.

Last edited:
•••
I use mainly my phone and an ipad but occasionally a laptop too.

Its good that you're able to sit on your sofa and be productive. Some people need to be sat at a desk to get into the working frame of mind and not get distracted. I know someone who started out working from home and ended up renting an office space so he could "drive to work" which increased his productivity.

•••
23" Desktop on Linux.
I don't like small displays. And, probably, will switch to 4K screen next year.

•••
I'm still using a desktop. I'd like to transition to a tablet or laptop but I cant see it happening anytime soon.

•••
Most of the time laptop, sometimes smartphone. I work better with laptop, when i get tired i use smartphone.

•••
No at a minimum a laptop (MacBook Pro) is needed for any serious internet or computer work. I also have a dual screen iMac Pro which is even more preferable.

Interestingly when on the go I just use an iPhone X (versus an iPad) but it’s definitely not as easy to use for say, research of domain prices with follow up of postings on a for sale forum or with emails to a potential buyer, as the laptop or desktop.

I think if you’re on the go using the most handheld device (smart phone) is what’s called for. If you’re stationary why go halfway to a tablet (iPad) why not all the way to using a laptop or desktop.

The main advantage to laptop / desktop is ability to open multiple windows simultaneously and refer or copy/paste between them. You don’t get that with a phone or tablet - one just has a larger screen but both are equally limited in the multi department. I see no point in the tablet at all for on the go serious work.

•••
Always using a laptop. and still at the laptop.

•••
Sensitive info ( pass/banks etc..) only desktop :xf.wink:
Advertising both: desktop & mobile phone

•••
A wide, wide mix - home mini-PC + 32" UHD display in main office, Microsoft Surface for portable computing/tablet, Dell Latitude for the upstairs office, iPhone while watching TV/movies.

•••
Mostly laptop and some time phone.

•••
•••
iPhone for me but when I send out emails to potential end users, I use a laptop and Google Chrome with HubSpot extension so I can track the emails.

•••
I mostly use a PC (Linux of course). I do lots of stuff at the same time like development so I need a keyboard and a large screen.
I have even bought a pocket computer to use while on the move (yeah it's back to the 80s here).

•••
I use a mix of an old Mac mini with a 24 in external monitor along with an older iPad. Interesting to see that the majority of responses so far either Mac or Linux, plus some sort of mobile, somewhat surprising.
Bob

Last edited:
•••
Nothing beats a good desk (chair keyboard mouse) and a large screen.
With proper desktops it's like you're in command of something lol.
You get more comfort and focus, you can do more things, and everything is easier like opening a new tab.
A laptop on a desk is a different experience.

•••
95%+ of my work is on the desktop. I need a real keyboard, decent size screen. Then when I'm out and about, Iphone.

But I'm looking for something to add. The other day while I was working out, then eating, I had 3 auctions that were ending at about the same time. It was a bit of a pain on the phone. So not sure if I should go for laptop or something like the Ipad. Something I can move around easy.

•••
🚩

desktop + laptop + smartphoneee

Last edited:
•••
I use an iMac when I'm at home and a MacBook Air when I'm out - sometimes at home I use them both. It's easier to use a second device than to keep toggling between screens. I like the desktop for the larger screen.

•••
Laptop. I would like to work on desktop but frankly i don't even have one now, since my old one died after grid jump caused by thunderstorm a few years ago, and i didn't buy a new one because i travel a lot and am hardly in one place for more than couple months now, so having a desktop would have a little sense. But i hope to settle down a bit in the months to come so i will get myself a nice desktop, big monitor and everything.

Can't imagine working on phone. Every time i'm out and there is an auction and i'm on the phone - it's a PAIN.

•••
Laptop then a tablet then an S9 + which is faster than my tablet. 🤭Major work like search and others is done on my Hp touchscreen. I switch to that to get cash back and points when I make purchases and renewals,they add up pretty quick .

•••
I'm going to go ahead and buy an ipad tonight, should be here tomorrow. Haven't checked in awhile but they're pretty cheap.

Latest model
32 GB - $249.99
128 GB - $329.00

Now to find a cool case.

•••
But i hope to settle down a bit in the months to come so i will get myself a nice desktop, big monitor and everything.

If you don't game, these little micro-PCs are insanely small, fast and quiet. I've got a 6-core i7-8700 slapped inside a case the size of an old android media player, and it's sooooo fast it's not funny and it's dead silent as well. Couple that with a nice 32" UHD monitor and you have the space to monitor and duplicate monitor multiple screens, and you can ramp up productivity. Not that expensive either, around $750 US for the entire setup on sale.

•••
I'm going to go ahead and buy an ipad tonight, should be here tomorrow. Haven't checked in awhile but they're pretty cheap.

Latest model
32 GB - $249.99
128 GB - $329.00

Now to find a cool case.

Just be careful what you want to use it for, as Apple has gone "Surface" and offers higher-end configs and Pro models with more business features, better pen support, and significantly higher prices.

There is really a line in the sand between "Entertainment" and "Business" iPads.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you very much for all the answers! Interesting.

I will try this:

THIS WEEK: Spend 50 hours of work, only using my tablet.
NEXT WEEK: Spend 50 hours of work, only using my big screen computer.

I will do pretty much the same thing both weeks. After this, I will let you know my thoughts.

•••
Back