IT.COM

Avoid Domain.com like the Plague!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ImageAuthors

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Domain.com is not a registrar I commonly use -- I just got stuck with them for a domain picked up through a drop catcher. Maybe they have happy customers; I don't know. This is just 1 negative experience. But out of 10,000 to 20,000 domain registrations, I've never had a problem like this before.

Domain.com sent me a message 60 days before expiration. So I decided to log in and transfer the domain to the registrar I normally use -- GoDaddy. Then the problems began. They never sent me a user name, but I have a password on file; and they use the domain name itself in place of a user name. I entered the domain name plus password, but it didn't work. Fine. Naturally, I tried to reset the password. Domain.com requests that you enter the domain name, after which they'll send the password reset link to the email address on file. But when I enter the domain name, their website says that this domain doesn't match their records. Keep in mind, this is the same domain they just sent me an email about.

OK. I placed a phone call to customer service. After an hour-long wait, a human being answers. First of all, he needs to authenticate my identity. Fine. I give him my name and the domain name in question. Then he asks for the password, which doesn't work. True enough, it doesn't work. So he needs the last 4 digits of the credit card on file on Domain.com. I start to tell him, but he interrupts me. "Wait," he says, "we don't have any credit card on file to compare those numbers with." So what are my options? He disappears for 5-10 minutes to confer with a supervisor.

Yes, the domain name is registered at Domain.com. Yes, it is registered to me -- as verified in Whois. No, I don't have access to the domain. No, I was never given access. No, I cannot obtain access through their website. Instead, I have to fax my personal information to them on my company letterhead complete with a photocopy of government-issued ID. So the entire process of gaining access to 1 domain that I bought months ago will wind up costing me 2-3 hours of work over the course of 2 days -- not to mention the hassle and expense of faxing pointless pieces of paper. And there will of course be a wait period of 5 business days while their team of domain registration experts debates whether or not to give me, the owner, access to his property. Finally, I MAY be able to log in to their website -- assuming they will accept a regular piece of paper. Not being incorporated, I don't have any company letterhead. (The person on the phone was gravely concerned about this shortcoming, which is ridiculous.) And who knows how difficult it will be to obtain the authorization code in order to leave this incompetent registrar behind?!?!

What a pity that such pathetic excuse for a registrar is taking up space on the domain Domain.com!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Might be time to post this on their Facebook page....see if that knocks a bit of sense into them. Or at least might stop a few others from reg'ing names with them and having these future probs.....good luck

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back