Domain Empire

IDNs growing more popular?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What do you think about international domain names... they seem to be growing more popular.

I have no interest in ever registering any of them but ... just curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks!
-Matt

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would say there is increased speculation so we talk more and more about IDNs.
It doesn't mean they are gaining ground. Well they must be but I would suspect there are more parked pages than active sites.

The truth is, we don't know how far IDNs will go.
For the moment it's mostly speculation.
IMO IDNs will take off in some parts of the world but will not be popular everywhere.
I have a few but it takes more research and I feel more comfy with the ol' ASCII names :lala:
Even if you are not a believer I think it makes sense to grab a few nice keywords and wait. You have little to lose after all.

•••
well, after looking at several domain forums, it seems that alot of people are becoming fan of IDNs so that means it is becoming popular, but on personal basis i doesnot have any attraction to it and i m not interested in IDNs :)

•••
It's not a matter of personal beliefs, it's a matter of pure facts being an investor.

Would a Chinese person type-in "newspaper.cn or newspaper.com" /
or 报纸.cn or 报纸.中国

The root mapping is already being planned and will be implemented shortly. The next Icann meeting is in March. IE7 with full idn implementation will be release to the public very soon also.

Are you an investor in domain names? If yes, you better learn quick because internationally there will be a revolution on the interent this year.

Icann proposed root mapping of .com for several languages. (Scroll down to page 25)
http://icann.org/announcements/dname-white-paper-verisign-17nov05.pdf

•••
Sarcle.com said:
It's not a matter of personal beliefs, it's a matter of pure facts being an investor.

Would a Chinese person type-in "newspaper.cn or newspaper.com" /
or 报纸.cn or 报纸.中国

The root mapping is already being planned and will be implemented shortly. The next Icann meeting is in March. IE7 with full idn implementation will be release to the public very soon also.

Are you an investor in domain names? If yes, you better learn quick because internationally there will be a revolution on the interent this year.

Icann proposed root mapping of .com for several languages. (Scroll down to page 25)
http://icann.org/announcements/dname-white-paper-verisign-17nov05.pdf

I agree, although I am following my own niche name investments and will not be diversyfying in to IDN's but it is great area for many and a good opportunity for newbies who want to find a foothold in the domain market in a "new-ish" area. JMO

Did however hedge my bets a little and regged BackorderIDN(s).com :)

•••
•••
compuXP said:
What do you think about international domain names... they seem to be growing more popular.

I have no interest in ever registering any of them but ... just curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks!
-Matt

You speak of it as if it's some kind off hype, people don't work on hypes for 5 years my friend, idn's are a good investment and it's unwise to disregard it like it's a fluke, disrespecting those who have invested substantial time and money in this, no to mention the tremendous effort that has been and will be put in the technological feasibility. What it is this question about if you already know you'll never register these names, , are you gathering information on possible investments or you preparing a speech for high school..

If you answer the question again but now with at least the appearance of some serious interest, I'll be glad to answer it.

•••
People are saying that the popularity of the IDN domains will significantly grown once the new Internet Explorer is capable of handling them...

I don't personally think that it will make much of a difference! :imho:

•••
Jiblob said:
People are saying that the popularity of the IDN domains will significantly grown once the new Internet Explorer is capable of handling them...

I don't personally think that it will make much of a difference! :imho:

You are correct on that... Sales are already hitting $XX.XXX

•••
If you could register 'travel.com' in Spanish or German would you do it? Absolutely! Why then wouldn't you register it in Russian, Chinese, or Japanese? Why would it be any different just because the letters or characters are not something you're used to seeing?

If all domains were in Chinese and you spoke English wouldn't you want them in your own language? Absolutely!

Don't wait until the next Business 2.0 article to finally join the party.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back