IT.COM

status-monitor Ideas to eradicate the constant spamming in chat?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

creataweb

Some Guy with Awesome Senior High School PhotoTop Member
Impact
Pop into chat almost any time of day or night and you'll see spam / advertising.

Seems like many new (and even some veteran) members don't read or follow the rules. In my opinion it disrupts the chat flow when someone does drive-by spamming on non-approved days. Not to mention when it's reported (in my experience) it seems to take days for a response or something to be done.

Another thing I noticed was the constant asking for appraisals or "showcasing" to bypass any rules for links and domains. For example, someone might say "I just bought suchandsuch.ext what do you think?" But you can sense some of these people have the intention to draw attention or traffic to their site or domain and don't really care what someone might think of the name itself. Kind of a sly way to advertise.

Discuss your ideas to change this into something positive.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
requires a regular Moderator

•••
requires a regular Moderator

This is true. But there has to be more that can be done. Maybe not let people use chat until they pass the rules test :)

•••
I do know the rules are applied to the letter for some members!

•••
1st time break the rules = warning
2nd time = x period ban
3rd time = permaban?

Just my opinion ^

•••
I do know the rules are applied to the letter for some members!

I would ask for the list but I doubt we can discuss it here?

•••
1st time break the rules = warning
2nd time = x period ban
3rd time = permaban?

Just my opinion ^

Mods have the ability to restrict somebody from chatroom. So when you say permaban, I'm not sure if you mean permaban from the forum, or permaban from chat.

And if you mean permaban from chat, I think a three strikes and you're out rule might be a little steep.

1st time = warning
2nd time = 3 month ban?

etc.

•••
Mods have the ability to restrict somebody from chatroom. So when you say permaban, I'm not sure if you mean permaban from the forum, or permaban from chat.

And if you mean permaban from chat, I think a three strikes and you're out rule might be a little steep.

1st time = warning
2nd time = 3 month ban?

etc.

Good idea however there are still some people who never seem to learn. I think permaban from chat must come at some point. If they can't learn after 2 or 3 times I don't think they will ever learn.

•••
Your forgetting what drives the site!

•••
•••
•••
Back in the day, chat was the place to be and had a mod.

Now or just seems like everyone linking to their sales threads.

Of with their heads!

•••
•••
Maybe banning any links at all in chat could solve the problem then?

•••
•••
•••
^nvm,

you don't get it,

that's OK

Cheers
Corey

•••
I already addressed that: Massive difference in people or businesses buying ad space and others just spamming in the chatroom.

Not seeing the correlation from your post to people spamming in chat.

•••
I think the following system for spam;

First Time : One & Only Warning
Second Time : 7 Day Ban
Third Time : 1 Month Ban
Fourth Time : 3 Month Ban
Fifth Time : 6 Month Ban
Sixth Time : Permeant - No Appeal

•••
I think the following system for spam;

First Time : One & Only Warning
Second Time : 7 Day Ban
Third Time : 1 Month Ban
Fourth Time : 3 Month Ban
Fifth Time : 6 Month Ban
Sixth Time : Permeant - No Appeal

Any mods chime in and tell us if this is similar to the current situation?

Kiera might be right on the current setup here.

•••
One thing I noticed is "Whenever it is Friday, Saturday, or Sunday somewhere in the world" is actually half the week.

When people voted in a recent poll to allow weekend domain sales in chat, I am sure they weren't thinking it would be interpreted as half the week.

This laxer rules half the week probably the cause for 'spam' things you see.

I would think Moding the chat room a pain in the butt if the problem is past the scroll range.

•••
I think we also need a huge red text saying :

'Advertising is NOT allowed today'

And a green version saying;

'Advertising is allowed today'

Rather than the tiny green and grey blip which is the bad version of my suggestion.

•••
It's not even a bright green

•••
Here is a great example:

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 3.32.43 PM.png

This guy has been spamming the same name for days. Nothing is done. How many warnings should he receive before severe punishment?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back