IT.COM

status-monitor Ideas to eradicate the constant spamming in chat?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

creataweb

Some Guy with Awesome Senior High School PhotoTop Member
Impact
Pop into chat almost any time of day or night and you'll see spam / advertising.

Seems like many new (and even some veteran) members don't read or follow the rules. In my opinion it disrupts the chat flow when someone does drive-by spamming on non-approved days. Not to mention when it's reported (in my experience) it seems to take days for a response or something to be done.

Another thing I noticed was the constant asking for appraisals or "showcasing" to bypass any rules for links and domains. For example, someone might say "I just bought suchandsuch.ext what do you think?" But you can sense some of these people have the intention to draw attention or traffic to their site or domain and don't really care what someone might think of the name itself. Kind of a sly way to advertise.

Discuss your ideas to change this into something positive.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1st time break the rules = warning
2nd time = x period ban
3rd time = permaban?

Just my opinion ^

That's actually the best way I've found that works.

People screw up sometimes, are new etc, give them a warning.

They do it again after that, ban them for a little time.

They do it even after that, they're telling you they don't care about the rules, that's when you apply the boot and ban them permanently.

Very simple.

•••
Here is a great example:

This guy has been spamming the same name for days. Nothing is done. How many warnings should he receive before severe punishment?

QUICK @creataweb - edit out his domain from the screenshot or else you just gave him lifetime free advertising!

•••
Hello,

Excellent feedback so far,

For example, someone might say "I just bought suchandsuch.ext what do you think?" But you can sense some of these people have the intention to draw attention or traffic to their site or domain and don't really care what someone might think of the name itself. Kind of a sly way to advertise.
Good point but this is a domain forum and it's a domain chatroom, a place to talk about domains in real time. However, if it's promotional, then we draw the line there except on the weekends.

Not to mention when it's reported (in my experience) it seems to take days for a response or something to be done.
We have to wait for the logs to become available. That takes time. However, once someone is reported and warned enough, they will lose their chat access permanently.

1st time break the rules = warning
2nd time = x period ban
3rd time = permaban?

Just my opinion ^
I think the following system for spam;

First Time : One & Only Warning
Second Time : 7 Day Ban
Third Time : 1 Month Ban
Fourth Time : 3 Month Ban
Fifth Time : 6 Month Ban
Sixth Time : Permeant - No Appeal
These are very close to how it works, assuming you mean permanent ban from chat (Not the forum). Sometimes, a friendly warning might be sent the first time instead but it depends on the seriousness of the rule violation.

requires a regular Moderator
Moderators check several times per day, but we still miss the majority of what's written because only a small number of the messages are shown in chat. We'd have to monitor chat 24/7 to catch everything, which is impractical. We depend largely on the community to report them.

As @johname said:
I would think Moding the chat room a pain in the butt if the problem is past the scroll range.

I do know the rules are applied to the letter for some members!
The rules are applied the same for everyone, which many members have learned firsthand when they upgrade their account or pay for advertising, and then they thought that made them exempt. They soon realize that it didn't and they must follow the same rules as everyone. ;) Our track record is clear on favoritism: we don't do it for anyone.

I would ask for the list but I doubt we can discuss it here?
If you feel we are giving favoritism to someone, you're more than welcome to start a thread in NamePros Comments and Feedback, discuss it, and let us know. You can also contact customer support.

Rather than the tiny green and grey blip which is the bad version of my suggestion.
It's not even a bright green
It's still in testing and not 100% accurate yet. We're waiting on @Paul Buonopane to fix that, and then we will figure out how to make it more noticeable/helpful once it's 100% accurate.

Thanks for all of your constructive feedback. Please continue to share any ideas you have.

•••
I still think two chat rooms is the easiest option.

It's a very specific type of concentration and thought train reading through a list of names for sale and considering value, niche, VS all other discussions types.

With a separate sales room you can issue a specific warning for "promoting" in the wrong chat room and they can be directed to another place, rather than just being told "no not today".

That said, do we even need sales promotions and promoting forum threads in chat at all? Isn't that what the forums are for? And chat is for...dare I say it...chat...

Meh, this was debated before I believe. I went to chat a few times and left quickly because of all the crummy names being posted constantly, and links to forum threads I've already seen.

•••
Meh, this was debated before I believe. I went to chat a few times and left quickly because of all the crummy names being posted constantly, and links to forum threads I've already seen.
Consider visiting the chatroom when selling isn't allowed (During the week) to see what you think.

We appreciate your feedback,

•••
Do we really need a chat room? I mean, there are threads opened for discussions. People who want to discuss something won't try the Chat room.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back