IT.COM

I want to use something, but...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm making a website right now, and I want to include documents written by someone else. In the documents, it had contact info for asking permission to use it on another website and such, but when I e-mailed the author, it turns out the e-mail is not valid (as the document is pretty old). I get the automated e-mail sending failed message. Well, it says Copyright 2002 on the document, so I'm wondering if I could use it. I'm a newbie when it comes to copyright hehe. Well, the document was copyrighted in 2002... and now its 2005 so does that mean I can use it? Plus, I DID contact him, but it didn't work.

I have tried multiple different documents, but the results are all the same! E-mail is invalid. What can I do? I WANT THOSE DOCUMENTS :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
so I'm wondering if I could use it

No. It is not an obligation of an enforceable copyright to maintain the same email address for life + 50 years.

•••
You could...

A.) Actually get in touch with the author and get written permission to use it.
B.) Just use it and pray that noone ever sees it (very bad idea, do not do this).
C.) Write your own article!

Good luck.

•••
greatdomainz said:
You could...

A.) Actually get in touch with the author and get written permission to use it.
B.) Just use it and pray that noone ever sees it (very bad idea, do not do this).
C.) Write your own article!

Good luck.
How should I get into touch with him?

Second, what's the point of putting it on my site if no one ever sees it? :p

Would take too long to right this article :)

Wow, this really annoys me... they say contact me for permission, and now I can't get permission! They should at least update their e-mail address :|

•••
copyright lasts for years (cant remember exactly how many but probably 50+, so no you will be breaking copyright laws by using it.

Check the site you found it on and see if there are any other contact details tha may be for the same person.

•••
Wow, this really annoys me...

Imagine how annoying it would be for you to find your material on someone else's website without your permission.

•••
If you want it that bad, you might want to pay one of those people finding firms to search for his current contact info.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back