IT.COM

I think you guys are making a big mistake

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Are domainers making a mistake?

cliffs notes at bottom

ok so i studied long and hard for probably 30 hours over the last three days. i think the advice on www.domainnewbie.com and much of the advice on this board is really short-sighted and wrong.

this is the hypothesis i have formulated which i'd like feedback on. if im wrong, tell me why.

the advice passed around on this board, boards like it and by the various gurus, primarily boils down to telling people how to get good at flipping domains. how to select domains that will be highly liquid on the open market, which you can sell for a fast profit.

true or false?

ok well to me thats a retarded strategy unless you just have some aversion to getting a normal job, or you think you can make more doing that than you could doing something else...or because you like the perks of domain flipping over another job etc. those are all fine ends, but those are not the only ends.

i have a deep love affair with the internet, web 2.0, businesss 2.0, technology and all it can do for us as humans. i express that love by taking part in the revolution that is taking place all around us. i build websites and products and services i think people will like. isn't that what a domain name is for? to build something on?

if i have a choice between these two domains:

models.tv

and

wie.com

i would take models.tv in an instant

sure i'm probably going to pay less for models.tv, but this isn't about money, its about which one i can develop into a better site some day, or which one somebody else might make into a great site by leasing the domain from me or though some kind of partnership. its not about which one appeals to a broader market of potential buyers. great artists don't decide what to paint based upon how many people might buy their painting. in fact many of them were ridiculed until after their death! i think the same will happen with domainers. once you guys stop churning domains with each other and making money for sedo, godaddy and paypal, the market for all these stupid domains will hit the floor. you want to know what end users think about qkft.com? they think its lame unless their company happens to have those initials

cliffs notes

good domain selection should be based on how usable a domain is by an end-user, not on how likely you are to flip it to another domainer

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like people who question things. Especially in domaining. I always question my own investments twice before I make a purchase. And it helps. And sometimes a thread like this may serve well for some of us.

And I for myself, I try to focus more on marketing (for some types of domains), as sittin and waiting for an end user is not the most productive (for me)

I know many other folks do this.

PS: Brandable maybe because in WIE WI may stand for What is etc... and wie means we (?) in German.

•••
"wie" means "how" in German.

P.S. pokerpie- so you are a 22 year old model? or your just using it to get good looking model friends at myspace? :D

•••
ssamriga said:
"wie" means "how" in German.

Thanks for correcting me. Yes, you are right. I need to go back to my classes, unfortunately I had no German in school. :'(

•••
LONG LIVE The Internet..

PokerPie said:
There is nothing interesting about that other than the fact that you guys find it interesting. It was obvious to me after I studied the available literature on domaining and looked at the various auctions on sedo, godaddy and the sales histories on moniker, afertnic and others.

i would say that 95% of the VOLUME of domain sales is being done domainer to domainer. however that 5% is where 95% of the $xx,xxx domains are sold and also probably a sizable amount of the profits i have no idea if the total $ amounts in domains flipped is higher at the top or the bottom, the 95% domainers churn amongst themselves is probably a very large share of the total domain churn each year...but if domainers stopped selling to each other and only sold to end users...the marketplace would imo look very very very very very differnet and you would not see domains like LLL.com unpronoucable selling for anything at auction. the only people who would even register it would be end users and people who think end users might come asking for it someday.

Wow, quite a debate :)

There is something I want to add here with no intention to attack anyone's opinions. Based on what PokerPie have said, most of the domain sales are happened between domainers to domainers, and For Me that is just for one reason "The business is still in its earliest moment, even the internet is still in its infancy". If anyone want to argue that, I can't say no more... :)
So if you analyze it deeply, you will find that all the majority domain sales came among the domain owners which already realize or at least have some "hope" on this just invented business. It's a normal thing, just like when you sell some "new product" within your family first then if your family satisfied with the product you could starting to offer it to your neighborhood, and if your neighborhood also SATISFIED then you could start thinking to sell it on the whole town, and it goes on like that until maybe you can sell the product Nationwide or Worldwide. But can you find one important thing from here? yeah that's right, there are "STEPS" and "TIME".

So what's wrong with the domainers / domain entrepreneurs if it start the sales within domainers family (between domainers) first? Why don't we let it takes its moment...?
Then after the Internet matures and people all around the world realize that domain name is one of THE MOST IMPORTANT thing on the cyberspace (besides hosting, web design, etc) then you could imagine when people will start to buy domains "just because all people needs domains" (just like people buy clothes because all people needs clothes), then you will find that the domainers will become the minorities on the business. :)

The domain marketplace is also needs more time to mature. Do you think that you can say "Sedo.com" in front of your friends or families without have your self being asked about what that is?..
But all the marketplaces have done an Incredible job, besides their effort to promote the business worldwide.
It needs time fellas... and it moves with the Full Speed you could ever imagine..

I can't hardly wait to see when "Sedo.com" will be visited by doctors, lawyers, engineers, salesman, priests, students, etc just to find the best domain for them and BUY IT! :)

When it happens, then you actually can't argue which domain is valuable or more valuble, because now it depends on the Buyer it self. Just like people buying clothes( do the fashion experts decide which clothes is best or not? Yes of course, people needs their advice) but in the end it's up to me whether to wear a jean or not, even though I will not buy a 70's cut-bray, but hey, someone still wear that... :)

So All the best for you guys, we are making history here -domain owners, developers-..
LONG LIVE The Internet..

::the_yehezkiel::

Last edited:
•••
The Truth About Selling to End Users

the_yehezkiel said:
I can't hardly wait to see when "Sedo.com" will be visited by doctors, lawyers, engineers, salesman, priests, students, etc just to find the best domain for them and BUY IT! :)

Believe it or not many end users do find sites like SEDO/Afternic when they visit the parked landing page. For example: A lawyer who lives in Muleshoe Texas needs a website and finds out muleshoelawyer.com is unavailable. There is a good chance he might visit the Sedo parked page www.muleshoelawyer.com (this domain is for sale).

Most “end users” only need one domain and that is why it’s a small number of end users visit sites like SEDO. However, when the name they are interested in is taken…most end users just go with some off the wall name like MuleshoeTexaslawyer.com. I have noticed thought the past 5 years that I have been domaining… the domains just keep getting longer and longer. 5 years ago 3 word domains were almost unheard of.

One of the mistakes that many domainers make (who are trying to sell to end users), is that the domainer does NOT put themselves in the shoes of the end user (I am not talking about muleshoes).

Sometimes when “end users” go hunting for a domain and see how hard it is and how many domains are for sale, it looks tempting to jump into this business. I am sure many people on this forum got into domains when they actually tried to set u a website or needed a domain as an “end user” and saw what the market was like. The very same issue happened to me when I wanted to put up a domain in 2003 and was so upset that I could not buy a domain like eVegas.com or iVegas.com. I noticed all of them were undeveloped websites with for sale banners. Guess what, I thought this is too easy. You don’t have to go to Real Estate School to sell domains. But I learned some expensive lessons.

And this is why you are seeing so many new people coming into this business who are also learning expensive lessons. It reminds me of a friend of mine in College who Majored In Greek History (mythology). I asked him.. “What kind of job can u get with a degree in Greek History?”. He replied “Teaching Greek History”. Hmm, so all of his students will also teach Greek History one day also. So who are a lot of domains flipping domains to?... future domain flippers and some of them get stuck with the garbage.

I would also like to point out that I have had many sales on sites like SEDO and Afternic from “end users” who are buying up similar names for multiple websites… and u will see more of this in the future. I own a lot of PaydayLoan domains and had many simultaneous offers from the same “end user”. Thus, if you want to increase you chances of selling to end users then I suggest you list similar domains on your listing. Please view http://www.afternic.com/name.php?domain=philippineloan.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back