Dynadot

I think GoDaddy is lying to me

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I won an expired domain auction at godaddy . There was no reserve. I was the higher bidder.
They emailed me congratulations you won. I paid by PayPal.
Two days later I got a refund!
Online support had no clue.
I sent email asking them what happened
They replied to me that this expired domain was with another registrar and it is not available!!. Sorry!!

But when I check the whois of the name I find that godaddy is the registrar and it renewed for another year!!

I sent them email asking for explanation but received no reply yet

I do not know , anyone has explanation? .

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The person who owned it renewed it.

•••
•••
Are they auctioning domains during redemption period before they catch it?

No one catches them. The domains are still with godaddy.

Those are domains which are in the redemption period, before pending delete.

•••
But this is not the point. They are saying the domain with other registrar while whois says the opposite!

•••
No one catches them. The domains are still with godaddy.

Those are domains which are in the redemption period, before pending delete.

Should they explain that to me? . And what they mean by not available?

Last edited:
•••
The person who owned it renewed it.

Also that person renewed it after auction ended and money paid?!
What a superman timing !

•••
The only wrong thing here is that they sent you a mail that you won rhe auction and then later "changed their mind".

As I've heard, this is somewhat common. People deliberately let their names go to expired auctions to see how much they are worth (i.e. how much they will net in an auction), then they renew them near the end of the auction.

You shouldn't have gotten the mail about winning the auction tho.

•••
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't the whole point that GoDaddy sent the OP an email that domain was with another registrar and that's why the auction failed and, if that wasn't enough, OP found out that domain was still with GoDaddy?

If the owner renewed it or not is irrelevant. Email -according to the OP- was full of false info.

Please correct me if I got that wrong.

•••
Sorry I feel like newbie, but what is OP?

•••
OP is you, the Original Poster (person who starts a thread)

For more terms see https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-domaining-dictionary.744093/

What's the name? now that you are not going to get it

There is a number of possible reasons, maybe owner renewed the name, then moved it to GD.
Having the name will help narrow the possible reasons or even figure out what happened.

This has happened to me in the past (won, then got refund); name was at Tucows (owner renewed the name), more than once. GD is not responsible, domain owners can do what they like with their names in most cases.

Last edited:
•••
Godaddy few month back announced a policy, that once a domain in redemption and in auction, the original owner can't renew the domain, this infact every much discussed here in NP. so if Godaddy have the domain and not transferred to winner something a miss, either they changed their policy or they have to give a explanation

•••
Godaddy few month back announced a policy, that once a domain in redemption and in auction, the original owner can't renew the domain, this infact every much discussed here in NP. so if Godaddy have the domain and not transferred to winner something a miss, either they changed their policy or they have to give a explanation

That was only the case for GoDaddy domains if i remember correctly, domains at other registrars can still be renewed after the domain has been purchased in an expired auction.

•••
That was only the case for GoDaddy domains if i remember correctly, domains at other registrars can still be renewed after the domain has been purchased in an expired auction.

Yes, but the OP stated multiple times that the domain was at GoDaddy and the email was in error.

•••
I have chalked it up as nobody really knows what's going on because anomalies contine.

What's surprising is the fact that an auction really shouldn't be so complicated.

Last edited:
•••
The name was
ochm.com

I appreciate any help and explanation

•••
This is correct.

It could be that the name was registered at a GD reseller which made the name appear as registered at GD on a whois lookup?

It may also be that GD pay for the extra year of registration and not the original registrar. I'm not sure if all registrars offer the redemption period like GD do.

•••
Looking at the whois history, the name was at enom when it expired, but the owner transferred it out to godaddy after expiry. So that's why you didn't get it.

•••
Current nameservers are at Efty.

•••
Here is the answer from godaddy
========================/==

We are happy to provide further clarification.

A domain transfer was initiated to GoDaddy by the expiring owner during the window the registry allows an expiring owner to transfer an expired/expiring domain name. The transfer request was acknowledged by the losing partner registrar after the partner expiry listing was put up on our auctions platform.

So it would appear the expiring owner transferred it to GoDaddy before the full expiry timeframe was up, as is allowed by registry policy.

We regret that you did not obtain this domain name.

We hope that your future endeavors are successful. Please contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

•••
Yes, that happens, owner moved name from Enom to GD.

Forget about that one, on to the next.

•••
I've lost 4L.com names because I forgot to renew them in time(actually they were expired for many days ~30) and when I emailed them, the auction wasn't even finished but they denied my request to renew. Apparently the same policy doesn't hold for names THEY auction that come from different registrars.

•••
Simply, something should not be in an auction unless there is 100% assurance it goes to the winning bidder.

•••
Simply, something should not be in an auction unless there is 100% assurance it goes to the winning bidder.

But with non-GD auctions that would mean GD would have to wait until the expiry period elapsed, renew all the domains and then put them up for auction.

That would cost a lot of money, and it's much easier and cheaper to just refund buyers for the odd renewal or transfer that takes place right at the end.

•••
But with non-GD auctions that would mean GD would have to wait until the expiry period elapsed, renew all the domains and then put them up for auction.

That would cost a lot of money, and it's much easier and cheaper to just refund buyers for the odd renewal or transfer that takes place right at the end.
Sometimes the easiest and cheapest way out is not the best. I would argue that GD would make more from the auctions if there was assurance and dependability. Although, active bidders may not enjoy the increased auction prices.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back