IT.COM

discuss I sold .com for $200. Did I negotiate well?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

PoorKing

Established Member
Impact
I sold a 10+ characters <fullname>.com for $200. The domain is the name of the person and is not premium. Could I have asked for more?

I would appreciate some feedback from the pros on this forum or anyone who has previously sold a similar domain.

PS: Sorry, can't disclose the domain name since it's sold now and not my property anymore.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Difficult to say not knowing the name. Inbound offer through marketplace or outbound?

•••
If you put a price on it rather than accept a price then you could have asked for more. At $200 you were happy to part with it so move on to next name and not worry. All depends whether you ask for offers and better offers before giving in and giving out a out a price to close deal.

Last edited:
•••
Hey, I just sold a car for $4000. Blue four-wheeled Toyota. Could I have asked for more?

•••
Hey, I just sold a car for $4000. Blue four-wheeled Toyota. Could I have asked for more?
Yes you could have, especially since it was a 2021Hi-lux with 200km on the clock.

•••
Difficult to say not knowing the name. Inbound offer through marketplace or outbound?

The buyer contacted me. The domain was simply parked and not put up for sale. I guess, the domain name doesn't matter since it's the name of the person and nothing special. There was just one round of negotiation and I didn't had any data to claim why the domain should be valued more.

Btw, is a clean domain having no content and history valued more than a domain with some (low quality) content?

•••
If you put a price on it rather than accept a price then you could have asked for more. At $200 you were happy to part with it so move on to next name and not worry. All depends whether you ask for offers and better offers before giving in and giving out a out a price to close deal.
It is difficult to estimate how much a domain is valuable to the buyer. However, knowing a minimum price which is reasonable to ask helps. Any data regarding sale of similar domains will be helpful to the community. Does NamePros have an estimation tool based on historic data?

•••
The buyer contacted me. The domain was simply parked and not put up for sale. I guess, the domain name doesn't matter since it's the name of the person and nothing special. There was just one round of negotiation and I didn't had any data to claim why the domain should be valued more.

Btw, is a clean domain having no content and history valued more than a domain with some (low quality) content?
You mean traffic? not content.

•••
•••
You mean traffic? not content.
Both in traffic and content. Like a fresh domain never registered before. Is it more valuable? I would prefer a personal (my name) domain which has no history.

•••
I think so ... ;)

Well, then I think so too..

Without knowing the exact name, it's absolutely impossible to give an opinion. No two names are similar. They could sound similar, but could be a huge difference in popularity (traffic volume, tld count, shortness and other indicators). DonaldTrump.com is not the same as AbukabarKardegenian.com , both are 10+ symbols, both fit your description.

In any case, whatever it is - no point to regret or even think about it. You priced it for the reason at that given moment, and it resulted to a sale. Now think about future sales of your current domains.

Good luck!

•••
Any First and Last Name is a Premium domain!
Just because it may not be a name you would want - doesn't mean it's not premium.
So yes, you probably sold to Low.

•••
It is difficult to estimate how much a domain is valuable to the buyer. However, knowing a minimum price which is reasonable to ask helps. Any data regarding sale of similar domains will be helpful to the community. Does NamePros have an estimation tool based on historic data?
Other peoples full names historically usually sell on the lower end and for some are controversial investments.

If a UDRP comes there really is no good reason for holding someone else’s full name (or multiple someones) that isn’t your name. Best to sell for low reasonable amounts and move on.

First names are different as they are more generic and not assigned to a few specific people.

•••
PS: Sorry, can't disclose the domain name since it's sold now and not my property anymore.
Are you saying I'm not allowed to mention Apple.com, Namepros.com and Beer.com because I don't own them?

•••
dont know what to say, bcoz i know nothing about the name you sold.

•••
Without seeing the name: no

•••
Yes you could have, especially since it was a 2021Hi-lux with 200km on the clock.

I also could have not, if Toyota is from 1998, have been crushed on multiple occasions and we are in Japan... We can't say from the info provided, just like we can't say anything specific about the topic - that was the point.

•••
Other peoples full names historically usually sell on the lower end and for some are controversial investments.

If a UDRP comes there really is no good reason for holding someone else’s full name (or multiple someones) that isn’t your name. Best to sell for low reasonable amounts and move on.

First names are different as they are more generic and not assigned to a few specific people.
Actually I think that is a good argument to own it.

If you own a popular name combo, shared by thousands of people, it is awfully hard for any (1) party to claim ownership. How many Bob Smith, Steve Jones or Brian Johnson are out there? A lot...and they always have demand for combos with a large pool of buyers.

In this case I have no idea. I own some of these domains and there is no combo I would sell for $200, but I also don't own combos with small pools of potential buyers.

Brad

•••
Are you saying I'm not allowed to mention Apple.com, Namepros.com and Beer.com because I don't own them?
In this case the domain name is the full name of the person who bought it.

•••
•••
Without seeing the name: no

Let's say the name is Ferdinand Barton. As I already mentioned it's a person name and nothing special or premium.

•••
Actually I think that is a good argument to own it.

If you own a popular name combo, shared by thousands of people, it is awfully hard for any (1) party to claim ownership. How many Bob Smith, Steve Jones or Brian Johnson are out there? A lot...and they always have demand for combos with a large pool of buyers.

In this case I have no idea. I own some of these domains and there is no combo I would sell for $200, but I also don't own combos with small pools of potential buyers.

Brad
Could you please give a ballpark figure like what minimum price you'll set for such combos?

•••
Could you please give a ballpark figure like what minimum price you'll set for such combos?
The ones I sell are usually for thousands of dollars, but we are talking apples and oranges here.

On your example domain you probably have under 5 people with the name, where one like "Robert Smith" has tens of thousands in the US alone, never mind the rest of the world.

I would be happy to get $200 out of a domain I would not have registered in the first place because the pool of potential buyers was too small.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I sold a 10+ characters <fullname>.com for $200. The domain is the name of the person and is not premium. Could I have asked for more?

I would appreciate some feedback from the pros on this forum or anyone who has previously sold a similar domain.

Yes it could of sold for lots more all depends what your happy in making :)

•••
You did not negotiate well, my dear friend if thats the thing you want to hear.
Two things: Your best sale will always be the next one. Best offer will always be the one you have in hand. Negotiate better next time, mate!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back