Dynadot

opinion I own the .com and .it while he owns the .net

NameSilo
Watch
Hello

In 2011 I registered an Italian domain (.it) and few days later the .com

I immediately developed the website and used it to build my own online business which is now going well enough to pay the bills.

The term I registered, I was the first to use everywhere: Skype, Twitter just to name a few.

I did not register any copyright though.

Then in 2016 a copycat registered the .net and built a similar website offering the same service I offer but at higher prices.

I realized that because all of a sudden I was getting emails from some of his customers because the idiot linked the .com instead of the .net in one of his emails.

I should be happy right? Wrong because I cannot convert those customers and if he screws up in the future, some people may think we are the same company so I just want him gone, surrender his .net and change domain. Can I do that? Is it going to be expensive?

Thank you

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You might file a UDRP depending on the circumstances. But it depends on the domain name. Say the domain is completely generic for the type of services you provide, then buying another extension is fair game, even to compete against you.
Also, I gather that this is not a classic cybersquatting case where somebody has parked a domain and is passively profiting from web traffic to monetize the domain name. The other guy is running a real business on it and it may their single source of income, then it's likely they are not going to comply with your demands without a fight.

•••
Have you had any contact with him at all?

Is he using similar branding / website look and feel as yours?

Might be worth your while chatting to an attorney to see what options you have, especially if this dude is in another country.

•••
as long as you own the .com and the .it
and all he has is the .net

one thing is for sure
he will lose customers to you

and he will have to spend much more money
to promote his business then you

go and register a trademark
when you own the trademark
may use it against him

•••
go and register a trademark
when you own the trademark
may use it against him
I thought if your trademark was after the purchase of someones domain then you wouldnt have a case in court?

•••
Your online presence prior to his is your trademark.
Speak to any lawyer familiar with ecommerce and they will verify that.

•••
I thought if your trademark was after the purchase of someones domain then you wouldnt have a case in court?

yeah you would think so

---
I am not a laywer
get good advice
somewhere else

here it's just free advice

they may accidentally be identically

•••
I guess all depends on how generic are the domain names.

•••
•••
legal procedure is to offer him money and buy domain from him. you also need to email your customers that your website name .net in ending was not sent and by mistake .com was sent by error. That will resolve problems to your customers. That you did mistake and the problem will be solved.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back